Water temperature
  • tosaitosai October 2010
    What is the best water temperature for koi?
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    Without the chiller, in our typical Equitorial climate, a 25 degrees Celcius will be nice (if we can achieve it). With the chiller, anything below will be nice.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2010-10-02 09:12:25 pm
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    I guess the ideal temperature should be within 24-26C. At this temperature you can see a big difference in the fish appetite. Many have argued that the shiroji improves with cooler water. Personally I felt that the cooler temperature increase the Dissolve Oxygen and hence benefits the koi greatly. Water seems clearer with cooler water..
  • JamesJames October 2010
    I am not sure if this is true, but I think koi over long period of time in cooler water will become weak. Because at cooler temperature a lot of the bacteria and parasites are not as active. As such the koi's immune system does not need to work optimally all the time. Would this be false belief?
    Yes correct.. but in Malaysia or Singapore its almost impossible for cold water even if your chiller is on 24 hours.. 24C is what most claim as ideal,, not cold.. Some bro actually push it to 22C but at the temperature your chiller is running almost 24 hours unless you have a 3HP chiller but a 2 ton pond.
    So indirectly chiller waste of time la.... Considering if I should add to my pond during rebuild.

Bro andy, care to share a bit on your kujaku in atari.
    Chiller is good. It increase the O2 saturation and works great during the hot season. Fish get sick easily when the temperature is extremely hot. What I am saying above is its impossible for the water to be too cold in Malaysia weather. I am using a chiller on my pond.. The only set back is the electricity usage.

As for the kujaku in Atari, there are 2. One from Tani acquired during the Malaysia Koi Show and another from Momotaro. The kujaku you saw should be from Tani farm.. Short story. Bid for the fish and then kept in Aaron's pond. He decided to clear some space for the new fishes and so it went to Atari for sale... Its a very good fish but I don't have space for the fish at my pond..
    SMS me buddy price. 012-273 5781. And pictures if any. Outstation now. Show ready right? Or have to wait as future fish? I remember the hikari's not at it's best yet. But not sure if tani kujaku improves in sheen over time. I know kaneko's do. Male or female?
    Well bro the fish is with Atari and I am not suppose to sell it directly.. else Andrew will taruh me.. There was some offer to buy my Karashi too but I have a gentleman agreement with Atari that they will sell the fish...
    Andrew told me it's not for sale. That's why I am asking directly la. Maybe too expensive for me anyways.....
    huh..... that is new to me.. U sure its my fish? Let me check with him when I drop by Atari.
    I asked about it the night Sakai fishes arrived. I think it's a 45cm fish right? With the head half White. SMS me indicative price la.... So that I know if it's going to b my sweet dream or nightmare tonight.
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    James, are you talking about the Jumbo Karashigoi belonging to Andysitt? 5 figure RM loor.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • KaajKaaj October 2010
    I think quite a few people have gone with the chiller idea. How effective it has been, well thats the question. If your pond is shaded, then you do not necessarily need the chiller on a daily basis. Our climate promotes feeding daily, so we can make the best of that.

From what i can guess, it would certainly be an asset to have the water temp between 22 and 24 for polishing koi before shows. I believe our good friend the architect uses the chiller in his holding tank for the very same purpose :)

cheers
    Post edited by Kaaj at 2010-10-17 11:00:54 am

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership