NITRATE REMOVAL BY BUGS ??
  • paksengpakseng February 2013
    Hi bros sifus n sisters simus...
    I am relatively new here in this forum but have been learning a lot from you sifus from postings old and new infor that I didnt know in my more than 20 years of koi keeping. The more I learn from your postings the more retarded I feel. All these years I have been living in my own little world like a frog in a well..and no wonder I had little real success in rearing these kois... Some of the postings used terms I never knew so I had to research... and from this that I stumbled upon this web.. I read and am not sure if the infor is good or relevant to us hobbyists which I hope sifus here cud advise given yr knowledge... like DIY trickle tower with bugs to reduce nitrate to below 15mg/ltr ... try as I like but unabe to reduce nitrate to that level despite regular safe amt of water changes. I believe Nitrate reduction cud well be a "holy grail" to better koi rearing given its cause for poor shiroji and growth potential etc.. Here is the address..
    http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/good_water_guide__pt_16.html

Do let me know if it can work or BS afterall... thank you all sifus..
  • MfwleeMfwlee February 2013
    Welcome to the forum ! We share roughly the same years of fish keeping but I have only had the last 10+ years or so with Koi.
    Myself, having joined only a few months ago, have also been pleasantly struck with all the knowledge, help and friendship that drives the forum.
    Sorry - I do not yet use Trickle Towers or Bakki showers - but have also been impressed enough to start making enquiries even on Pressure Bead Filters !
    Enjoyed reading the articles you referred to - and am now getting into a more restless / dangerous frame of mind. My small 1600 gallon pond has not had any changes all these years and is probably well overdue. @-)
    Mike Lee
  • niveknivek February 2013
    Welcome bro pakseng. I have recently added a trickle tower and must say the effort was worth it. Just posted a video link in my thread of my TT and hope it can give you some ideas when building yours.
    Thanks bros Mfwlee and Nivek...
    my pond is also small like yours mfwlee about 1600 galls.. but this was constructed only a year plus ago. How I wished I had known this forum before I designed and got a nonpro koi pond contractor to build it. Now I realised I have to live with many systems shortfalls and therefore will need to adjust and improve despite the 'stucked' constraints as I continue to learn from this forum by all the sifus here. I am really thankful for this.
    BTW bro Nivek where is the video link you mentioned ?
  • tswerntswern February 2013
    Yealar kevin,

Mana your trickle tower video?

Btw, was in Penang on Friday... thinking wanna go tour around PG for koi dealers. Whatsapped bro TK, but then it suddenly rained, so did not paiseh did not ajak tunjuk jalan.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar February 2013
    Welcome to the forum Bro Pak Seng,

You can check lots of info available here regarding TT / BS. You definitely find it useful

Bro Tswern,
    Hayaaaaa, you should have called lah bro, even if rains, we still can "jalan-jalan" maa.. :-D ,
    Hi bro Nivek.. nice trickle tower there ... I am not sure if it is the same trickle tower setup proposed by manky sanke. His is one which trickle (as in a small trickle) thru an oxygen 'free' housing containing bioballs or similar media etc to force the 'facultative anaerobic bacteria' to find the oxygen component in the nitrate, so this process effectively break down the nitrate thus eliminating it. The usual trickle tower like yours does help but it is not as effective as he claims.. Hence I am wondering if you did any test to the water coming out of your trickle tower to check if the nitrate level is much lower than that water going into the trickle tower ? Pls do not misunderstand me ... I am not critical of your trickle tower, its just to find out if what this manky sanke expert referred to in his article means much. Pls find out for all of us kichis...
    hi bro pakseng, before I installed the TT, my nitrate level was around 30ppm. After installation it has come down to 10ppm even though my feeding amount is now doubled.
  • jaysonjayson February 2013
    after install trickle tower you can improve your pond water condition. provided you have to use the correct media and the water flow rate.
    Wow that is amazing bro nivek... so it is NOT not insignificant the reduction in nitrates using TT.
    Bro Jayson.. What is the right media you are referring to and what optimal flow rate ? I am really interested in designing one. The oxygen free method is difficult to achieve given the need for zero oxygen. TT needs a fairly large space and more difficult to blend aesthetically but given your result I think I would like to try it out ntl. Pls help bro. Thanks.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar February 2013
    Recommended media for TT is: Crystal bio, bio ball, and BH. It depends how many racks you want to install. Top layers, please use crystal bio and bio ball as its very light. BH recommended for bottom trays as it's heavy. :)
  • jaysonjayson February 2013
    yes, my recon media is what bro TK said. this is how the TT look like. you may build you own TT with design. :)
    bio ball if u have low budget but with good result too.
    crystal bio is a very good media.
    BH abit expensive also a good media
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11932/IMG_1339.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11933/IMG_1340.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership