My beloved karashigoi
  • pandaipandai January 2013
    I woke up this morning and found my favourite koi, my 51cm nisai female karashigoi lying beside the pond, already stiff.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11668/karashi died.jpg

There were blood everywhere which means she had a bit of a struggle last night. Upon inspection I saw nothing wrong with the body or the gills and looked perfectly normal. She was also behaving perfectly normal yesterday just like all other kois in my pond.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11669/karashi died2.jpg

I have been long enough in this hobby to be able to accept that every now and then you could lose your precious kois but this one is still a bit different. She is the tamest of them all and will always be the first one to greet me whenever I came near the pond. She has a nice bulky body, with nice hump, strong tail tube and very beautiful and even scale reticulation. She has grown tremendously since I got her as a tosai early last year.

I did a quick check on water parameters and found out that ammonia and nitrite are both 0. The only thing is pH is 6.4. Other than that water looks normal, clean and other fish swimming and eating normally. Could this be the cause why she jumped???
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • weihanweihan January 2013
    Sorry for your lost bro :-(
  • KChongKChong January 2013
    Hi Bro Pandai,

Sorry to hear about beloved Karashigoi. Sometimes it is quite hard know what actually cause a koi to jump.
  • snowlionsnowlion January 2013
    Abang Pandai,

I am shocked...very solid body there...
    I am very sad too.

• idrisidris January 2013
    probably bro pandai..sudden PH crash could bring stress to the koi...sorry for your lost bro...
    Yeah. I know we discussed a lot about this phenomena but still it could happen when you least expected. I can't remember when I last had a koi jumped out from my pond - maybe some two to three years ago so I never thought it could happen all of a sudden like this...

Could it be the pH? Or does she just feel like jumping...?
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • FPSooFPSoo January 2013
    Sorry for your lost.

Something is bothering her. Either she can't tolerate the low Ph or there is some activity that frighten her and prompt her to jump off the pond. Thunder is one big issue for our farm, whenever severe thunder occur we need to go round check ponds eventhough we have a 2 feet barrier around the pond some fish has the ability to fly off these barriers. We suffered a few casualties due to this cause.

Barrier will help to save a few but most of us doesn't want it coz it doesn't look nice...i have seen some hobbyist have a top net to prevent fish jumping out. It is kind of trade off for beauty of your pond...depends on individual.

Yeah, there was quite a bit of thunder last night too... I figured this is something along that line too because she was never sick or had any kind of diseases like other fish.
    Sayang la... she was my main contender in the race to prove that you could grow a jumbo in a 5 tonne pond...
  • jamiltjamilt January 2013
    Don't give up bro. jumbo on.
  • HDCuHDCu January 2013
    sorry for your loss Bro Pandai

Sometimes its the best fish that we love that leave first...

Btw, what are you presently doing to achieve jumbo in a small pond? Curious to know.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2013-01-28 04:27:55 pm
  • niveknivek January 2013
    Sorry to hear that bro
  • koiBoykoiBoy January 2013
    Hi bro Pandai,

Sorry to hear the bad news. I know how u feel as I have also lost my favourite kohaku last night after struggling for almost half a day. Well, be strong and things will get better as time comes.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/11675/photo copy.jpg

Picture was taken 2 hours before going back to Japan Last night. Grew more than its size when brought home.

Regards,
    Xavier
    Post edited by koiBoy at 2013-01-28 05:21:25 pm
    <blockquote rel="pandai">Sayang la... she was my main contender in the race to prove that you could grow a jumbo in a 5 tonne pond... </blockquote>

Brother Pandai,
    You have never given up before, dun loose direction or steam now.=D>

I am sure Brother FPSoo here, can help you source for another worthy contender.. :-D

We are waiting for your show brother Pandai!
    Jerome
  • EddyEddy January 2013
    Hi bro Pandai,

Sorry for your lost bro.. I know how u feel =( one of my favourite sakai sanke take the same flight together with your karashi back to Japan last night due to sick.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11674/IMAG2103.jpg
    Attachments
    IMAG2103.jpg 126K
    Bro @HDCu, just maintain the best water quality by good filtration system including a huge bakki shower, water change, overflow, frequent filter cleaning, clay powder etc. - then feed kaw-kaw with good quality high protein food.

And oh, give them Kenkona Bio everyday... ;-)
    Post edited by pandai at 2013-01-28 05:06:09 pm
    Bro @Eddy, nice sanke you got there... Looks like the beni even maintained its colour even after she died - a proof of high quality. I share your loss too bro. Never mind, life goes on...

Bro Jerome @snowlion, of course the race never ends. But have to mourn for a few days lorr... After that, on the positive side, can look for a new contender to fill up the vacancy...
  • Awong81Awong81 January 2013
    Sorry for your losses bro Pandai, Bro koiboy and Bro Eddy.

I have also lost a tosai Kin Ki Utsuri 3 days ago. It had dropsy and was trying to save it but to no avail. Alas. But we shall march on.
  • jangjang January 2013
    sorry to hear that bro.. :( a very nice karashigoi indeed!
  • andysiaandysia January 2013
    Sorry for your loss ... :-(
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar January 2013
    Bro Pandai, Bro Xavier, Bro Awong and Bro Eddy,

Sorry to hear your losses. Hope the others are doing fine

• gerrygerry January 2013
    To all bros who recently lost fishes - my deepest condolences to you... :(

Bro Pandai, that was one nice looking karashi... Haiz....
  • megatronmegatron January 2013
    Sorry to hear your lost of Karashigoi.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • IzrulIzrul January 2013
    Sorry for the loss bro @pandai...time to hunt at new dealer... :-"
  • tswerntswern January 2013
    Aw man, this sucks!
    Sorry for your lost. :(
  • ashfaqashfaq January 2013
    Bro Pandai, Bro Xavier, Bro Awong and Bro Eddy, feel sorry for your loss :(
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • ShukriShukri January 2013
    Bro pandai,
    That's a nice Karashigoi. In this hobby, the best always go first. Happen to many of us. I am sure you will be able to find a worthy replacement. Many things could have caused the fish to jump out of the pond. The jumping does not happen everyday, but it happens. In your case, it could be the constant raining of late, the lightning and the thunder perhaps, and it could be the water.......i.e. possibly that your Karashigoi didnt like the low pH.

Once you are back on your feet i.e. that you can drive on your own, we can go for Karashigoi hunting together........ :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Thank you all for the comforting messages. This is the part I like the most about the koikichis community - we share both; the glory (in showcasing our prized kois) and at the same time also share and feel each other's losses as well. This is indeed a show of great camaraderie...! =D>

Bro @Shukri,

I AM back on my feet already. And guess where I went to a few days ago? Gosanke, Matsuda and Yamakoshi... Haha...! :-)) Anytime you're free bro - let's go koi hunting. This time I want to look for another potential jumbo! I saw some very nice and big sized mukashi ogon in Yamakoshi the other day... :>
  • andysiaandysia January 2013
    Bro Pandai,

Just to entice you, I bought my mukashi ogon from Yamakoshi in Oct 2012. She was 43bu back then now 3 months she measures 50bu ... just normal feeding (twice a day). Very tame, can hand feed and leader of all my kois ... :)

Here's the picture of her when I got her ...

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11683/Mukashi Ogon 43BU 18Oct2012.jpg
    <blockquote rel="pandai">Thank you all for the comforting messages. This is the part I like the most about the koikichis community - we share both; the glory (in showcasing our prized kois) and at the same time also share and feel each other's losses as well. This is indeed a show of great camaraderie...! =D>

Bro @Shukri,

I AM back on my feet already. And guess where I went to a few days ago? Gosanke, Matsuda and Yamakoshi... Haha...! :-)) Anytime you're free bro - let's go koi hunting. This time I want to look for another potential jumbo! I saw some very nice and big sized mukashi ogon in Yamakoshi the other day... :> </blockquote>

I just witnessed that Invitations to go Koi shopping works better than Mordern medicine :O :O :O

Next time we have an unwell kaki, we won't ask him how he is feeling... we just tempt him to go koi hunting with all the juicy details....

That is what I have been doing to Brother CKYeoh...
    My poor brother have to endure my daily temptation until Dr says that he is well enough to go outdoors.
    I am the Satan.... >:-) >:-) >:-)

Regards to all
    Jerome
    <blockquote rel="andysia">Bro Pandai,

Just to entice you, I bought my mukashi ogon from Yamakoshi in Oct 2012. She was 43bu back then now 3 months she measures 50bu ... just normal feeding (twice a day). Very tame, can hand feed and leader of all my kois ... :)

Here's the picture of her when I got her ...

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11683/Mukashi Ogon 43BU 18Oct2012.jpg </blockquote>

Brother Andy,

Suddenly I became poisoned.@-) .@-) .@-) .I thought I could control.@-) .@-) .You just proved me wrong.@-) .@-) .@-)
    Got to contact Mr Mah..before Withdrawal syndrome sets in..

You got a very nice old style Ogon there...
    Cheeers..
    Jerome

Bro @andysia,

You're BAD! Now I'm fully enticed and extremely excited...! banghead
    I saw the new mukashi ogon batch at Yamakoshi the other day and was drooling looking at their 40cm+ body with already nice bulking shape... Hmmm... Mr. Mah, please keep one for me with good body!!!! :-D

Bro Jerome,

When my doctor told me I could go out from the hospital for a while for my "home leave" while I was still in hospital, I went home first. Then on the way back to hospital, my wife asked me where I wanted to go and you can guess what I said. She was shaking her head in disbelief but still took me there... :-))

Bro @Shukri,

Let's go go go...!!!! \:D/
    Abang Pandai,
    Pls take deep breath first...count to 5....
    now I am getting breathless too...
    Because I am 360km south of Yamakoshi Tropicana.....

Brudder must appreciate yr wife for being SO Supportive....
    You are one very lucky husband...

Pls keep us updated with your Koi Excursion...ok?
    Jerome
  • CKYeohCKYeoh January 2013
    Always feel heart pain when knowing koikichis koi casual, especially this karashi . :-(
    As Bro Shukri said : In this hobby, the best always go first.
    Hope bro Pandai, Bro koiboy and Bro Eddy can recover soon & start to hunting new koi for replacement. \:D/

My koi jumping experience was happen on last month, when my wife help me to clean all 5 filter chamber, during top up water, my Showa jump up from main pond & fly into my 1st chamber, luckily my wife never close the cover. Koi jumping can due to many factor, water parameter, environment & under stress. Just to share my little experience hope can help.

CKYeoh
  • boertokoiboertokoi January 2013
    Hi Bro Pandai,

Sorry for your lost ... even i am still new and have not had same experience ( hope not .. at least not too soon) i know how it feels. I have lost one of my beloved livestock before ...

BUT, i am glad to know the man who helped me (during his toughest time...) has recovered and ready for koi hunting ... :-))

Whatsapp if u are going ... i can learn to pick nice koi ... \:D/

Zul
  • CKYeohCKYeoh January 2013
    <blockquote rel="snowlion">I just witnessed that Invitations to go Koi shopping works better than Mordern medicine :O :O :O

Next time we have an unwell kaki, we won't ask him how he is feeling... we just tempt him to go koi hunting with all the juicy details....

That is what I have been doing to Brother CKYeoh...
    My poor brother have to endure my daily temptation until Dr says that he is well enough to go outdoors.
    I am the Satan.... >:-) >:-) >:-)

Regards to all
    Jerome</blockquote>

Bro Jerome,
    U really make drooling everyday in hospital, anyway I'm physically weak & u make my mentally a fresh. =D> So u can't mention is as Satan should be Angle :-)) :-)) :-))
    Many thks.
    CKYeoh
    <blockquote rel="CKYeoh"><blockquote rel="snowlion">
    Bro Jerome,
    U really make drooling everyday in hospital, anyway I'm physically weak & u make my mentally a fresh. =D> So u can't mention is as Satan should be Angle :-)) :-)) :-))
    Many thks.
    CKYeoh</blockquote>

Brother CK,
    Off course you will see me as a good person...secretly I am brainwashing you to hand over all your possession >:-)

I am a devil in sheep skin...

>:-)
    Post edited by snowlion at 2013-01-29 12:03:24 pm
  • smokersmoker January 2013
    That's a bulky karashi, sorry for your lost Bro Pandai. And also for all Bros that lost their beloved one.
    It's part of the game in this hobby to always take the positive side.
    The positive side is there's a new space for new coming one :)
  • ShukriShukri January 2013
    And this is one sure way that we can replace the beloved koi with another awesome Karashigoi similar to our Bro Wahyu.......... :-)) I am so very jealous with his Karashigoi... :-))
    Hope to get a similar piece one of these days....... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Shukri,

Correct, correct, correct....!!! Let's go find one!!! \:D/

• nocturnalnocturnal January 2013
    sorry for ur loss Abang Pandai & to other bros who recently lost their beloved kois too
  • farikfarik January 2013
    Bro pandai,
    sorry for your loss bro....that's my favourite variety....i have 4 of them....go and treat yourself to a new replacement!!!!maybe it's the ph and thunder combined may triggered her to jump....i once had an incident during a thunder storm , my chagoi was lying under my car covered in sand with blood all over but luckily i put her into the measuring tub and cleaned the sand and put her into a bag of oxygen and she survived ....so from there onwards when there is a thunderstorm i will open the curtains and watch the pond from inside of the house....
  • mike_owenmike_owen January 2013
    Sorry for your lost bro, maybe you might want to put up a sort of barrier on the side of your pond to prevent future accidents again.
  • mike_owenmike_owen January 2013
    I also lost my karashigoi last year due to power outtage in our area and i wasnt around when it happened. :-(
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar January 2013
    Bro Farik,

Same here. Last month there was a heavy thunderstorm. When I'm home, I have a habit of check out my pond every now and then.
    And co-incidentally I found one of my fav pc, my Hi-Utsuri lying on the grass motionless. I immediately picked it and checked its condition. I noticed there was a very weak gill movement.
    I place him in the shallow area of my pond and setup my QT tub with 0.3% salinity with heavy aeration. I put the poor fellow in the QT and after a hard battle for 2 hours, it came back to life.
    Luckily there was only minor injury on the body. I raised my entire pond salinity to 0.3% and release him in the main pond. Also added S1 to reduce any other stress in the water. I changed water 30% for next few days. I was really lucky as no casualty. [-O<
  • sivakoisivakoi January 2013
    Sorry for your lost..bro such a nice piece and tame as well.
  • jaysonjayson January 2013
    sorry for your lost bro :-(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership