How to feed your Koi during travel?
  • bobjutzubobjutzu December 2010
    guys,

i will be travelling for 1 week starting tomorrow.
    how do we feed the koi?
    i've read in some forum, just put 1-2 kg of kangkung and sawi.
    they will eventually eat it.
    do we need to tie the vege into several small group?
    i really need your help urgently..
    can't imagine seeing my koi 'floating or sinking' after spending 1 happy week with my wife..

thanks in advance
  • etanoetano December 2010
    Bro, I normally don't feed when I am away. This ensure that the water will turn foul when I am away. It's more important to have power backup while away in my opinion. Koi can survive months without food.
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • bobjutzubobjutzu December 2010
    thanks bro etano,
    feel better with your answer.
    got the same advise from a pet shop but better to hear from an expert : )
    about the power back up, will think of something about it.
    thanks again bro
  • FPSooFPSoo December 2010
    Bro Bob,

you can opt for a auto feeder powered by solar panels and it will take some 4~5kg load of pallet food which could easily last 1 week by setting them to feed 2 times a day just to keep your fish going until you are back.

Elmen is right, the fish can survive for weeks if not months without pallet food as it will feed on algae from your pond. Only thing is your fish will slim down a bit when you are back, no big deal, feed them 6 times a day for next 10 days and you will get back the body structure with proper food.

FP
  • markgardnermarkgardner December 2010
    By far the safest option is not to feed at all, the Koi will come to no harm from a weeks fasting.

When you bring them back onto the food don't revert straight to normal feeding levels, filter bacteria may have shrunk back slightly due to reduced levels of ammonia/nitrite. Just keep an eye on water parameters.

Far safer than leaving someone in charge of feeding who isn't experienced, often that results in over feeding and all manner of problems thereafter.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership