Bacteria House (BH) information gathering
  • boertokoiboertokoi January 2013
    Dear All Sifu and hobbyist,

First of all please direct me to the right thread if there is any off matters below been discussed previously. I wouldn't want to replicate threads. This is merely a suggestion from a koi beginner who is honestly wants to learn.

Let us gather (systematically) information and experience with regards to BH usage for our koi pond water treatment. Below are some key items that i think we should compile. Appreciate if all can contribute information based on individual personal practice (it doesn't matter if it is beyond or against the norms or just 'trail and error' like me ... ) and most importantly individual observation and comments towards his/ her practice.

Some information to start with (sifu please advise if there are more pertinent aspect of BH to be noted):

1) Type of bacteria house: (e.g. sticks, bio rings, bio balls ...)
    2) BH brand / make:
    3) Where it is placed (bio chamber, bakki showers, at what filtration stage ...?):
    4) Quantity (BH weight / Water weight):
    5) Maintenance (has it been cleaned / replaced ... ):
    6) Comments and/or observation so far (issue arrising? ...):
    7) Any other experiment or trial done on BH:
    8) ... do add more items ...

Perhaps, we can establish similar approach with other topics (bacteria starter / medications ... etc). Then we can compile and have them easily accessible via a subtopics under relevant 'Koi Matters' topics (with help from administrator).

Just my 1 sen idea ... :)

Thanks
    Zul
  • pandaipandai January 2013
    Bro Zul,

Here are a few old threads on this subject. I believe most of your questions above have been answered one way or another in those threads. Maybe all the sifus in here can help too. Bro @harry_luhur is definitely one of the experts in bakki shower.

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/1667/diy-bakki-shower-tips-and-tricks/p1

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/759/diy-ing-a-bakki-shower/p1

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/2107

Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Bro Pandai,

Thanks for the lead ...

Most are based on best estimate (i think), hopefully can gather results before and after and get some quantitative analysis over the effectiveness of each one BS (or BH in chamber) setup and most importantly the individual observation.

As for me, still relying on few (20 to 30) bio balls inside the Laguna filter. After about 6 weeks i can say they are not enough for my overstocked 2.5tonne tank (pond). :)
    Water parameters nearly stabilized (Amm 0, Nitirite 0.25, Nitrate 10 to 20) but clarity not so good.

Now thinking of getting a FG filter box to support. The plan (please comment):
    1st chamber: J Matt
    2nd : bioballs
    3rd: china BH (sticks)
    4th: china BH (sticks)
    p/s: i have got 5kgs of coral in my waterfall basin for pH control. So far this amount can buffer ~0.6pH for my 2.5tonne.

Zul
  • niveknivek January 2013
    Bro @boertokoi, why not build a trickle tower/bakki shower instead of the FG filter box? Would be easier to maintain than the FG box in my opinion :-)
    Hi Kevin,

Was thinking about that also, when i read the previous discussion. My main constraint for not being able to put up TT or BS is space. Was planning to stack them on my waterfall basin but not secure enough ... kind of strong wind in my area also. Secondly not sure how big would be enough. Can go horizontal but not vertical ... hence box..?

When you say TT and BS easier to maintain, does it mean we don't have to clean the media as frequent? or you mean in terms of accessibility to each media?

Thanks bro.
    Zul
    Yes less cleaning involved.
    Bro Kevin, less cleaning because the bio media is not submerged ... just showered?
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar January 2013
    Bro Zul,
    Both me and Kevin has just installed the TT, I also had made a mini TT using limited space. We can see lots of improvement in water clarity in just 24 hours. We would update after one week running :)
    Bro TK,

Thanks for input. I cannot put stand alone TT/BS like that... can easily end up in my pond during windy day :-D

If bacteria helps improve water clarity, so we must provide good place for it to thrive, right? A good place is like BH and with lots of oxygen? is this the reason why TT/BS is better as compared to box filter in terms of promoting bacteria colony? Does filter box with air stone is equally good?
    Sorry if this is so basic ... just need to really confirm the fundamental.

Please update your TT development ok... need to see the effectiveness.

Thanks
    Zul
    Bro @boertokoi, can you place it at the side of the pond instead? Here is my setup.

As to the efficiency, there has been many write-ups which claims that the efficiency of certain submerged filter media (eg bio balls etc etc) are basically non existent as compared to placing them in TT/BS. In terms "oxygenation", TT/BS definitely has better air-liquid ratio moving from tray to tray. Another side benefit is the lowering of water temperature thru this.

My topmost layer is a piece of sponge to filter out all particles which I wash twice daily (morning and night) and it only takes 5 mins.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11395/1357385351517.jpg
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-01-09 07:23:11 pm
  • AlvinAlvin January 2013
    Bro Zul,

The bakki shower doesn't need to be on top of your pond. It can be anywhere near the pond. I have mine installed beside my house outside wall and save a lot on filter space.
    Post edited by Alvin at 2013-01-09 07:20:03 pm
    Attachments
    image.jpg 91K
    Bro Kevin, i have seen your pics and i must say well done. Thinking of copying ... hehehe.
    But i may need smaller boxes ...

i have Questions. why do you cover it? do we not suppose to let lots of air pass the media also?

From left, the first pipe is input to your TT and the other 3 pipes output/ return to pond?

Thanks Bro

Zul
    haha thanks bro. Few reasons for covering. One is to prevent water spilling out which will empty your pond haha. The boxes I obtained had lots of openings at the sides. The second reason is to cut down the noise.

And yes you are right on the piping. My pump is located directly in the pond.
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-01-09 07:31:27 pm
    Bro Alvin,

Very nice finishing ... is that an air blower on top of the TT?

I am getting more and more brilliant idea here ...

Thanks bro.

p/s: if any sifu or somebody can confirm my fundamental question "... Does filter box with air stone is equally good?" appreciate it.
    Bro Zul,

IMHO, Bs/TT is much better than filter box. For regular pond, we would have the filter chamber similar to filter box. To have better water quality, some hobbyist would install BS/TT.

For u, the new filtration is additional on top of ur current setup, like Kevin suggest, it's better for u to go for TT. U can put more media, better maintenance, more O2 and lesser temp. :)
    Yea another bro from Penang, bro @jayson has also installed his. Pond tonnage is almost the same as yours.
    Bro TK,

Appreciate your opinion ... now looking for suitable location.
    Hi All,

Just would like to share my Trickle Tower (or a Trickle Rack ...) setup and hope to see views and comments from you all. Almost like a Twin Tower ...

Left and Right set of boxes has similar media configuration. Each box has internal partition ... lower and upper section.

Top row: White mat (cheap aquarium one ... changed daily); Green mat
    Bottom row: 8 BH sticks and 100 bio balls (each box)

I have also added a FG filter box to support my Laguna. Flow from single pump is now diverted to both filter system. In here more mat, BH, bio balls, bio rings (clay) and coral.

Anyone using (or used) clay bio rings? what is the benefit as compared to ceramic bio rings? The girl at the shop told me the added benefit is that it can help buffer pH also.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11540/TT 190113.JPG
    Wah looks so canggih! good job bro.
    Thanks Kevin, biasa saja loo ... got few used aluminium tubes from a friend and planter's box only ... :-D
  • MfwleeMfwlee January 2013
    That looks fantastic ! - can double up as a dashboard for Starship Enterprise ! :-))
    Mike Lee
    Wow, looks way better than my TT . (Y)
    Job Well done bro
  • nocturnalnocturnal January 2013
    lovely design, well done!
  • IzrulIzrul January 2013
    superb job done bro...hope to meet u in time for klang koi visit.. :-D
    Thanks all for your positive views ... :)

Bro Adik, i may drop by Kluang when i go balik kampung (Pontian) ... ok ha?

Bro Izrul, anytime u coming this direction just whatsapp ok ...

• nocturnalnocturnal January 2013
    Bro Zul :)
    most welcome to my humble place :) :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership