6 feet (L) x3 feet (W) x 1 feet (D or H) pond
  • KelvinliowKelvinliow December 2012
    Hi am new to this forum. Intend to start on rearing koi by building a wooden pond for my very small garden area. Can anyone recommend me how to build the pond above ground. Can i use lorry tarpaulin cover as theiner with stryofoam as a base and walls inside the wooden frame.
    Many thanks
  • kominatokominato December 2012
    Hi bro, you can consider a fibre glass tank, which can be sunken into the ground partially. This will be much better than your option above.
  • MfwleeMfwlee December 2012
    Agree with bro kominato - my first was a eight footer partially sunk into the ground, and with red bricks surrounding it. It looked nice with a bit of landscaping, and I even added a small waterfall, flowers, etc. to break up the " squareness ".
    Being small, I did not have bottom drains, but used 2 small submersible water pumps at both ends, an aerator, and the whole set up gave me joy for many years.
    Just make sure that you have space for a ground placed filter that is approx 1/3 the size and you will be alright. The filter boxes that fit on top are a convenient temporary solution but are not going to be sufficient as your koi grow.
    Have fun ! :)
    Mike Lee
    Hi thanks fellow bros. Btw mfwlee do you have photos of your old setup? Would you know anyone intending to let go their tank and setup too?

Actually my plans were to also sink the tank halfway but my garden is built on a foundation of rock making that an expensive affair. Best to get above ground pond option but shallower.
  • MfwleeMfwlee December 2012
    Kelvin - this was more than 14 years ago before I invested into ponds, so a bit difficult to look for the old photographs. If I do come across them I will email them to you - but it is not difficult to imagine as the sunken tank dominates. I built up the sides with red bricks ( including the external filter box ), and made some simple shelves for the potted plants that hid the piping.
    Look at the transportation charges ( unless you own a suitable vehicle yourself ) if you want to buy secondhand F/G tank - if not, there are suppliers who include the transportation charges in their pricing. I was quoted a hundred+ ringgit to rent a small pick up truck when the cost of the second hand system was about Rm300. A new system would have been in the region of RM600 - 700.
    Remember also the normal wear and tear at the corners of a F/G tank - and the sides ( bending outwards ) if it is longer than 6 feet. These are simple matters to overcome if you are sinking it into the ground ( the surrounding earth gives support ) but yours is going to be a free standing one ya ?
    Last advice - do not sacrifice depth - try to have at least 2 - 3 feet of water for Koi. Anything in the region of one foot is only an ornamental pond !
    Mike Lee
    Very true thanks. Actually its just to keep me occupied over the weekends. Those over 2 feet height would take over the small garden i have now so hv to sacrifice depth in lieu of having spft soil bed.
  • niveknivek December 2012
    Bro @Kelvinliow, saw someone setup this pond in their apartment. FGT with frame.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/11267/5c2f1789.jpg
    Post edited by nivek at 2012-12-31 07:46:37 pm
    Thanks bro Nivek. I will do this. Part of my garden is slightly sloping towards the front of the house. Guess i have to increase the height of the front part of the frame. Do you know who is this member or could you share the link to his post?
    Post edited by Kelvinliow at 2012-12-31 07:51:30 pm
    It will be better to ensure a flat/level ground when installing the fgt as water pressure and weight is tremendous, so over time if it is angled, you will face problem with cracks, leaks etc.
    Ok will note that. Its only a few degrees off. Is the apt owner a member of this forum?
    Not sure bro :-)
  • KelvinliowKelvinliow January 2013
    Something like this is what I am looking for.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/11268/pvc pond.jpg
  • niveknivek January 2013
    Where are you from bro?
  • boertokoiboertokoi January 2013
    Hi Bro,

Have you got your tank already?
    Bro Nivek am from subang usj.

Bro Boertokoi no not yet. It may be best to buy low height pvc tank but wider and longer as percthe pix eg 8 f x 4 f x 2 f
  • boertokoiboertokoi January 2013
    Kelvin, if i may suggest go for 3ft depth ... perhaps you can have 2 split level steps of some wooden or brick skirting. if it is a real constraint, then 2ft is not that bad. gud luck bro.
    Yup 3ft is best but not possible as it will take over the whole garden. For partly sunken option i dug several different areas in my garden. After 4-5" i already hit the broken granite level. Anyone know where a good fgt maker who can sell me a 8x4x2 with drilled holes
  • kwchankwchan January 2013
    Hi bro, just to share some personal experience. If you plan to use pvc tank >6ft size, make sure you wrap it up (either use wood wrapping or bury it underground ), reason is pvc tank quite soft, if you fill up >60% water it'll tend to deform.
    Thats very good advice thanks Kwchan. Do you have a picture how the wood frame is constructed?
    Have you been to Atari before? There are few ponds (tanks) just outside the office. They use the wood structure to jold the tank, think you can copy his idea. Mine one need to dig out some old pictures from the database, I try to dig put and share if available
    Can share ATARI location?
  • IzrulIzrul January 2013
    Yes thats wooden diy pond quite good.
    Nice
    In the original forum its made of steel with wood body.
  • niveknivek January 2013
    Why not build a proper pond with the allocated space? You can have the walls raised giving you 4 to 5 feet depth, 3 ton pond.
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-01-01 08:18:46 pm
    Just for sharing, here's my DIY pond using PVC tank (size 6' x 4' x 1.8')
    Uh...not sure why picture can't be uploaded.
  • CKYeohCKYeoh January 2013
    from my newbie experience , better u start with FGT or PVC tank before u start a proper koi pond. since u have limited space for pond, just try to play with the FGT or PVC tank first, after 1 or 2 years later, u will find out this pond size are not suitable for your koi to grow big, than u start thinking dig a big pond with proper piping layout for your beauty.
    just newbie 2 cent.
  • idrisidris January 2013
    if have budget just go ahead..asked forumers and sifu to assist on pond building...

"do it right the first time"...
  • MarkMark January 2013
    Hi bro, I'm using lightweight hollow aluminium bar as frame, plywood as support and rubber pond liner as water proofing. The pond liner can get from heng boon seng construction cost around $550 for 20 x 16 feet. Nonetheless u may need to look for other alternatives for the 1 inch thick plywood or apply polymer paint if you are building ur pond outdoor. Hope this helps.
  • kominatokominato January 2013
    I'm not sure if this apartment setup will exceed the floor loading. Hope this is on the ground floor. I certainly don't want to be the guy below. !
  • ZackZack January 2013
    Bro Kominato, you remember the post I sent on pond weight versus whether the building or flooring can withstand the dead load? Guess not many people know about this.
    My kois are my lover
    Hi Mark and everyone. I think the hollow iron tubing would need to welded right. Then have find some form of hard flat panels to hold up the rubber. Hmm since its outdoor maybe best toconsider aluminium panels to wrap around the frame.
  • MarkMark January 2013
    Hi kelvin, actually I built it with portability in mind, it's pivoted with L shaped bracket at all corners. As for the panel material, do makesure that it does not have any shaped edges that will cut the rubber pond liner.
  • NicodemusNicodemus January 2013
    Hi bro, sorry for the intrusion. Im a newbee too but read about keeping koi in the internet.
    I learn that to keep kois, you'd have to a bigger pond size. Rather to consider how to built a pond that size, u should b thinking of the future of that koi/kois, going to grow big in no time. So with that size pond u probably keep only one but koi needs friends.
    Also consider that space the fish gonna swim around. They need to grow at least 60cm onwards, so u gonna stunt its full potential grow and that's no good right. So better consider other types of fishes to keep unless u gonna built a bigger pond in future.Sorry for the disapointment.
    Hi just got back. Thanks for all the suggestions. For bro Nicodemus i think everyine has their constraints and limitations especially an expensive hobby such as koi. But if we have to just spend for the sake of keeping this hobby then you should advise everyone upfront that everyone must have a mininum size pool and ensure they give up their house space (for me I am lucky to own a house), to quaify for this hobby. So should i give up this idea of koi. Just my two cents to you so that you fully understand not everyone has to agree. Thanks again for your good intentions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership