Fish flashing and/or gulping
  • ShukriShukri November 2010
    Hello there koi kichi brothers,
    I know that many of us are paranoid when our fishes gulps and/or flashes. I know la since I am one of these guys. The simple truth is that often then not, we will try the 'lets do the trial method.' Often than not, we guess what the problem is! It can be the quality of the water, parasite attack, or outbreak of bacteria.
    As for my case, it sometime happens to me after a thorough cleaning of the entire filter chambers. When this happens, I have tried many things (you name it, I have tried almost all), sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I found that the best and more consistent approach is to dose the pond with 0.5 to 0.6% salt after you completely clean the filter chambers. Tonight, there is no gulping for air what so ever......... Strange but true. At 0.4% salt, they still ocassionally gulp, but when the salt hit 0.5%, the gulping stops........works like magic! Try it........salt is the cheapest remedy. (ok)
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • AnuarAnuar November 2010
    Bro, if not mistaken, you have a microscope right? Have you tried Checking out what's happening?
    Yup I have one for sure, but nowadays with my gout and all, make it real difficult to bowl the affested fishes without assistance.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro, have you tried ciprobay on your knee? Hehe Sorry Tuan, the sumi joke still linger lah... Cannot help it.

Didn't know you had gout, better cut down on yr wife's mutton. I heard it will makes it worst. Actually even without any disorder, bowling up a fish is not an easy feat...

Good luck.
    Hahahaha, you still remember eh! My gout is really terrible, 24X7 on both hands and both legs........ This is also the reason why I seldom post the photos of my kois like previously.

Without Bro Seng Choon helping me out, I am quite sure that I will not be able to participate in any Koi Show.
    Brader, how long do you normally leave the salt at 0.50 pct? And over a period of how long do you build the concentration up to reach 0.5? So far the highest level that I have put is only upto 0.3 pct, based on what I gather, it makes a big difference if we were to increase to 0.3 to 0.5?

Thanks.
    Let it soak for about a week...........and for me, it takes 3 days to make it 0.5% salt. You can take longer if you want.......
  • SengChoonSengChoon November 2010
    Hi guys,

Let me share my thoughts.

Most of the time when a fish gulp, it is normally associated with the gill of a fish being affected by organism in the form of a bacteria or parasite. The trick is determine which one when a fish gulp.

Usually poor condition arising from build up of fish waste from heavy feeding/excessive feeding of high protein food or sudden change in water parameters due to the flushing of filter waste during filter cleaning may lead to bacteria gill disease (BGD). When fishes develop BGD, the tendency to gulp increases. This is most common and is easily detected if gulping occur after heavy feeding.

In other not so normal circumstances, gulping can due to flukes existing on the fish or gills. This is a parasite induced gulping especially when it eats away the fish's gill. Normally such a problem arise when an external factor is introduced i.e. koi, other fish or plants. As parasite can reside in any of these factors, it is then easily transmitted to the fishes in the pond.

Lastly, gulping can also occur if the gills of the fish is damaged. So in not so ideal water condition, the fish may struggle to extract adequate oxygen and hence, will gulp in its struggle.

So when your fish gulp, it is best to determine the cause first. Otherwise, remedial action taken may be ineffective.
    Post edited by SengChoon at 2010-11-28 09:37:35 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership