Pond and Water affected by the constant raining
  • ShukriShukri November 2010
    Dear Koi Kichis,
    Just be on the look out for your pond, water and fishes especially during this rainy season. Check your water parameters regularly. There are a lot of undesirable elements that come with the rain e.g. acid, toxic stuff, pollutants, parasites, bacteria, fungus etc. For those ponds that are totally covered, possibly you are OK, but like most of us i.e. fully or partiarly exposed to the rain, let's check our pond water and the kois regularly. For those that do not salt their pond, possibly you should do it now for prevention. If the kois are not behaving in the normal manner, it is high time to bowl the kois for closed up inspections.

As for me, the rain has caused fluctuation in the water pH.

Cheers.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau November 2010
    Thanks for the reminder bro. My small pond has been affected la.. Salted already. The big pond still maintaining it's parameters well so far. That is the problem with the small pond. Easy to take care but easy to get affected.
  • snowlionsnowlion November 2010
    Abangs,

I like to share my experience this rainy season.
    Had 3 guys down with ulcer, which never occured to me before.
    I do not add salt to my pond, unless health issue is concerned.

Other than Salting, what other precaution would you advise all kichis.
    Thanks

Jerome Ng
  • lautslauts November 2010
    Jerome,

Try using Biotope to reduce the bacteria in water. They are the ones that causes ulcer. Check also for parasites , they are the ones creating opportunity for bacterias to attack. For the ulcer, especially the seroius ones with open wounds you would consider applying some medication like Betadine. Good luck bro.

ts
  • JamesJames November 2010
    Bros, isn't constant medication in the pond making koi's immune system less than robust?
    Brudder TS,

Thanks for the information.
    Biotope is largely Chlorine Dioxide based, you got yours from Atari?
    What dosage did you apply, based on bottle recommendation or own estimation?

Where can I get Betadine from KL area?
    I am coming up for the Seijuro Swelection day, hope to pick up some medication along the way.

Hi James,
    We treat only when there is a problem.
    Not wise to use these medication as precautionary move.

Reagrds
    Jerome Ng
  • lautslauts November 2010
    Jerome,

Max has biotope, Atari and Cheras has it too now. But different type/concentration i am informed. I don't use it.

Betadine in liquid form any pharmacy. Paste form not sure.

Yes, best to use medication to treat not precautionary measure even salt.
    See you for the Seijuro, we are the packing guys huh.

:-) :-)
    rgd
    ts
    Hi TS,

Thanks for the points again.
    See you in 9 days time.

By the way how is the Matsunosuke Showa coming???
    Any updates??

Jerome
  • ShukriShukri March 2012
    Greeting to all Koi Kichis,
    In my area (Ulu Klang), it has been raining continuously for more than 14 hours now. I noticed last night that several of my fishes are clamping one of their pectoral fins. I hugely suspect that it got to do with the rain i.e. the pollutants in the rain water and the acidity that come with it. My pond is not totally covered as the rain water does get into my pond. What I did last night was to add 0.2 gram of Malachite green crystal per metric ton of pond water. This morning, there is no more clamped pectoral fins.

I also suspect that Kenkona will also do the trick but I have yet to get my hands on the stuff. Waiting for Bro Borman to make the medication available to me...... :-D

So Koi Kichis,, beware of the possibility of pH crash. Due to all the regular rain these days, I have frequent added Sodium Bicarbonate to help buffer the pH from crashing.

Have a nice day.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • lautslauts March 2012
    My kois loved the rain , pond is well buffered now with oyster/corals mix, no more using Bicarbs. Does you rain water washes from the roof or direct from sky , also maybe some air polution via factories nearby ? From yesterday 7pm till this morning 7am my pond had been rained in abt coming 8% , guesstimates from the overflow into the sump chamber.

ts
  • farikfarik March 2012
    I used to have the same problem although i have 40kg of oyster shells in the filter, it was mainly due to the rainwater from the roof getting into the pond, I then diverted the rainwater from the roof the problem solved....only the gutter need to be designed be hidden so that the home minister approves.
    Yup! I am planning to get the rain gutter installed........
  • ikankoikauikankoikau March 2012
    Normally sudden heavy rain will be more acidic. I just carry out water change. This will offset the rain. Tap water normally above PH8 so it should do the trick. Koi starting to flash is a good indication for water change. Only after a day or two, if flashing or parking continue, I will do something(like what Bro Shukri suggested) :-)) But normally it should work.

Thanks bro Shukri for promoting Kenkona Koi during raining season :-)) Like that I got to work harder to bottle it. Hahaha....

• DK76DK76 March 2012
    As subject just wondering if anyone observe or experience more active koi as fishes looking hungry for food after a heavy rain?As we all knew since rain water is bad for pond parameter but it seems to work for e better in my case or it's just a one off..... any input here is most welcome.
  • HDCuHDCu March 2012
    Rain water per se is not bad. It is the drastic ph change, temp change and tds and contaminated rain water from roof that kois are not used to that is bad. If after rain, kois look more active and hungrier, it is because pond water has higher dissolved oxygen and water has been diluted with cleaner water.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-03-29 08:06:26 am
    I do not believe that water from the rain fall in the urban areas are cleaned and good. With so much pollutants in the air, pathogens and unwanted stuffs.........more often than not will cause problems to the kois.

My two cents worth, just be on the look out for your kois and the pond.
  • DK76DK76 March 2012
    Thanks guys for the input... shall keep a look out on the raining days.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau March 2012
    As this part of the world(Seremban 2), the rain is very much ok. Only sudden heavy rain in dry season might cause discomfort to the kois. Not that serious. Water change should be able to tackle it. But certainly not the rain from the roof.

• spidyspidy July 2012
    Any recommendation on pH increase product ? I was trying to look for pH increase from Microbe Lift in Singapore but cannot find a shop that carry this.

My pH has dropped from 7.1 to 6.9 over the last 2 days bcos of rain and few of my koi are now flashing. One fell out of the pond this morning.
  • cookcpucookcpu July 2012
    Just add more oyster shell/coral chips it will help to buffer sudden drop in pH.

Or you can throw some soda bicarbonate into the pond to boost up the pH. This is temporary measure. Increasing the amount of oyster shell/coral chips is a better solution to stable pH. IMHO.
  • HDCuHDCu July 2012
    Are you doing constant water drip instead of massive water change when you clean your filters? The former is better as it makes ph more consistent even without use of any buffer. If there is heavy rain, I just increase water drip rate. If I feed a lot I increase water drip rate.
  • spidyspidy July 2012
    The situation has become critical now. A second koi (chagoi) has just jump out of the pond few hours ago, this is the 2nd incident in 1 day. Luckily both koi were discovered immediately and put back into the pond.

My Shiro is swimming slanted now.

All the koi are showing sign of stress.

Nitrite test is 0.
    Ammonia test is 1mg/L
    pH is still 6.9
    Salinity is 1.2

I have just added Microbe-lift special blend and also some aquarium salt.

Need urgent help and advise. What's the cause ? What should I do next ? Address the Ammonia 1st ? Salinity ? pH ?

I already have Oyster shell in my filter chamber. Should I add pH Increase ?
  • mrkoimrkoi July 2012
    Hi Spidy,

Are u sure your salinity is 1.2 and not 0.2 (typo error) ? Its way too high. Gradually, bring it down until 0.5. I think one of the reason your fish jump out is because you water salnity is too high.
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro spidy,
    If really the salt reading is 1.2%, it is really very high......... If you dissolve 1kg in 1 metric ton of water, that is 0.l%, 5kg in 1 metric ton of water, that is 0.5%. Is this your yardstick when you put salt in your pond?

If your salt level is 0.12% or 0.2%, then I suspect that there is a parasite infestation in your pond? Did you introduce new fishes lately without quarantining these fishes?
  • mangkellmangkell July 2012
    If the salt is 0.2%, 10% water change morning & 10% afternoon after a sudden heavy rain. 1.2% is to fried your kois #:-s
    Tq
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • spidyspidy July 2012
    It is 0.17% now after I added some salt last night. Koi still flashing, pH is still at 6.9

Yes I introduce a new Shiro last Saturday.

What's the best salinity ?

What should I do to if supect of parasite ?

• gerrygerry July 2012
    Bro Spidy,

Did you quarantine your Shiro? If not, then that fish could be the root cause of the discomfort to your other kois...

On the suspect parasite, sorry I dont have much experience on that... the other Sifus can help you on this...
  • mrkoimrkoi July 2012
    For parasite u can try put Dimilin. Dosage 1/2 gram per ton. Increase the salinity to 0.5%.
  • farikfarik July 2012
    bro spidy,
    If you didn't quarantine the shiro then I'm afraid that you have to treat the whole pond with malachite green at 0.2gm per ton, off your uv light. let it soak for 2 days. the 3rd day do a water change of 20-25%. then normally it should be ok....unless there are some other symptoms that would develop....keep us posted.
  • spidyspidy July 2012
    Treatment for anti-parasite started today.

Nitrite test is 0.
    Ammonia test is 0.5mg/L
    pH is still 7.2
    Salinity is 0.18%
    KH : 4 dKH

Medication used : Interpet Koi Anti parasite

Koi are lethargic with occasional flashing. I notice a small red mark (like a surface bruise) on the head of my kigoi. Wonder is it injured when she was flashing.
  • spidyspidy July 2012
    Day 3

All koi are "sleeping". Motionless, some sink to bottom.

Should I continue the anti-parasite treatment ? The instruction on the bottle said to treat for 5 days. But instead of seeing improvement now all the koi are "sleeping".

The flashing has almost stop totally, but now I have a pond of sleeping koi.
  • ashfaqashfaq July 2012
    For sleeping disease, torazo san suggested me to use 0.7% of salt with some internal parasite medicine. Also suggested to keep temperature at 25 to 27 degrees
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar September 2012
    Hi Guys,

Past few days it has been raining heavily in Penang. I managed to track back this old tread which can be useful.
    How bout other areas?
  • idrisidris September 2012
    in seremban oso heavy raining from night till noon..but because my pond is almost fully covered, so there is no problem with PH...
    Me to. 100% covered but have splashes. No effect on pH.
  • idrisidris September 2012
    good thing you make cover bro..now no more problem regarding PH crash during heavy raining...hehe
    Exactly, it served me many purpose.. :-D
  • YapYap October 2012
    hi all,

i had facing one problem before, my pond is not totally cover so the rain water does get into my pond and the water was affected by the heavy raining. All kois still looked normal, but after that my kois were death one per day. i had added up salt, but still the same happen. never happened like this before.

any method can solve it?
  • niveknivek October 2012
    Do a big water change (30%) and add salt. Don't forget to use anti chlorine.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar October 2012
    Bro, first pls check pH and other water parameters to see what problem. Follow as per Bro Kevin advice, change water and add salt to 0.5%
    If pH too low(less than 7) add sodium bicarbonate.
    If ammonia/nitrate/nitrite within safety level, add S1. If you have Kenkona better, but don't add salt.

Hope above helps. Gud luck
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Hi Bro Yap,

I suggest you look at the long term solution of your problem. Buy a KH test kit. It will help you monitor your carbonate levels in your pond.

If for example your present pond Kh is less than 50ppm and you do not make more water change during rainy season, the chances of PH crash is higher. A PH crash may happen at night where your pond algae will deprive much needed oxygen. Once a Ph crash happen, your beneficial bacteria in your filter will start to die as there is not enough carbonate alkalinity in the pond to support their multiplication while your kois will be put under tremendous stress from sudden PH drop, ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Have sodium bicarbonate on hand whenever too much rain enters your pond.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-10-14 07:13:23 pm
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    Just would like to alert fellow koi kichis to check the pH of your pond water in view of the constant rain. My pond water last checked was below 6........I quickly put in the appropriate amount to raise up the pH. This was last night, and today I changed 25% of the water.....

It is raining heavily right now for a few hours already........
    Also noticed that the kois are not behaving asper normal.......
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-11-03 09:32:11 pm
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2012
    Agree with Sifu Shukri,
    One of the Bro just PM me that the pH is at 6.5. He quickly added Baking Soda.

Other bros beware as well.

As there are no signs that the constant and heavy rain will slow down soon, I urge everyone to exercise caution with regards to the pond and kois. If you can help it, slow down the feeding, in fact it will be good to starve them a day or two in a week. Check the pH as often as you can...... Also, flush regularly with fresh water top up.

Possibly it is a good idea to switch off the chiller for the meantime........

Routine medication i.e. for maintenance purposes could be a good idea...........
  • tswerntswern November 2012
    Hi all, just to add a bit of my observation:

Noticed that my tap water PH that used to be around 6.8-7.0 has gone down to 6.5 too. So rain water is affecting tap water as well.

I did not check chlorine levels, but I suspect water authorities do/would regularly check (I HOPE!!) for pathogens in mains supply and adjust the amount of Chlorine dosage accordingly. So, might be a good idea to check for Chlorine increase.
  • tswerntswern November 2012
    http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2011/5/20/central/8655013

I quote thestar:

“In Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, the operators of water treatment plants must ensure that the free residual chlorine in treated water is between 1.5 and 2.0mg per litre set by the ministry.

“The chlorine content is only increased if there is a special instruction from the ministry to curb diseases carried by water,” said Abdul Halem.

He added that together with the ministry, the water quality was always monitored according to a schedule so that there was no breach in the standard of the water quality
  • MfwleeMfwlee November 2012
    Thank you for the information - I am lucky that the tap water in my house is around neutral+ but be careful especially when there are disruptions to normal water supply, floods, or when they change water source.
    They sometimes flush the pipes - and I have seen the chlorine level fluctuate for more than a few hours.
    Like advised, better to check until the weather gets milder.
    Mike Lee
  • wyinwyin November 2012
    removed
    Post edited by wyin at 2012-11-28 12:25:32 am
    Humm,
    Interesting results there wyin.........
  • ashfaqashfaq November 2012
    Some good information on rain, please read

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0215471/acid_rain.htm
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    <blockquote rel="wyin">Another rainy day. Taken some rain sample after 45 minutes of heavy rain. Run some tests with the sample

pH = 7.9
    Ammonia = not detectable
    Nitrate = not detectable
    PO4 = 2ppm

Surprised with the test results. I was expecting the rain water to be acidic and contains no minerals.
    Anyone tested the rain water in your area?

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10705/20121126_185154.jpg</blockquote>

Just thinking aloud Bro wyin, I hope your testers are accurate.........it is quite abnormal to have an alkaline rain water I think........or is there an explanation?
  • AnuarAnuar November 2012
    Bro Wei Yin,

Your ph result on the rain water is very surprising. I will try to do a similar sampling.

My pond water a couple of months ago had ph of about 7.5 and right now hovering at 7.00.

Regards.
  • wyinwyin November 2012
    Hi Shukri,

I was using the same digital pH meter for my tap water and pond water. I can't explain why but the alkaline rain could be an isolated case in my area only. Will further investigate..

Regards,
    Wei Yin
    Has been raining in KL ( Bukit Damansara ) since this evening so put out 3 different containers to catch some rain. ( in case they were contaminated )

Containers were put out in the open and away from the roof and trees - direct rain.

All 3 rain samples tested in the yellow - around 6.0

My test kit does not read lower than this - need to buy a set with a wider lower range, but the message is very clear - this is acid rain !
    Mike Lee
  • wyinwyin November 2012
    After reading your test results, I quickly go out to get another sample to test. This time I get a pH reading of 5.5. The previous rain sample could be contaminated one way or another. I will remove the test result and apologize for the misleading data.

Wei Yin
    No problem - happy to have helped.
    Just to also share something that I have been doing for years. Buy coral, and bag them into smaller bags. Put them out in the rain and sun for about a 2 weeks or so.
    The mild acid dissolves the outer surface, and the hot sun renders everything a nice powdery white quite quickly.
    Store them in a dry container for future use - which will be very soon looking at all the rain still to come.
    Your powdery white coral will act in a matter of hours.
    Let's all keep our pets safe :)
    Mike Lee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership