Question on epoxy paint
  • kominatokominato December 2012
    Am thinking of epoxying my pond to have a better view and to further extend the waterproofing which is now more than 10years.
    What type of koi safe epoxy do I use. Is it different from commercial epoxy paints and do I get it from normal paint shops.
    Thank you.
  • stevenong1919stevenong1919 December 2012
    Hi Bro Kominato,
    You can get Jotun Brand black epoxy paint. Just tell them for pond use. You can get from 1 of the paint shop from Macpherson road. About $50 per 5 litres tin.
    If I want it in blue...is it available as black walls not good for visibility I think
  • idrisidris December 2012
    black wall is good for visibility la bro....blue will make ur pond looks like swimming pool..
  • YipmYipm December 2012
    Steve, will it peel off after some time?
    Oh...I..c.. tks bro Idris
  • ZackZack December 2012
    If blue looks like swimming pool, then bro Kominato can dive in too. :-)) :-)) :-))
    My kois are my lover
    I will probably pollute the water n raise the ammonia, nitrates etc @-)
  • kolampkolamp December 2012
    Can the epoxy paint used on FGT?
  • rsingamrsingam December 2012
    Bro Kominato,

Even you start with a blue walled pond, in a few months time due to algae it will turn darkish green to black and will look untidy. If you start with a black walled pond, it will look tidy allways and the contrast of the fishes against the black background will be great except if you have a totally black koi.

Regards,
    Rajasingam
  • AlvinAlvin December 2012
    Bro Kominato,

i agree with Bro Rajasingam, Black wall pond looks better. i have a blue colour background pond and regret it until today. The sight of algae growing in patches not pleasant to the eyes.
  • MfwleeMfwlee December 2012
    " Can the epoxy paint used on FGT ? " - if your F/G tanks are like those that I use, then notice that the sides have a bit of flexibility, and that this can cause paint to flake off.
    Clean throughly, use a bit of sandpaper to remove the glossiness so that the surface is matt ( " key " the surface ), gently wipe with a clean cloth with some thinner, and then put on your coat of epoxy paint. Mine looked great and lasted for many years.
    ... and oh yeah ... let the epoxy dry completely, and soak your tank for a few days to remove most of the chemicals in the paint.
    Mike Lee
    Thanks bros. Totally convinced now . It shall be black then. :X
  • kolampkolamp December 2012
    <blockquote rel="Mfwlee">" Can the epoxy paint used on FGT ? " - if your F/G tanks are like those that I use, then notice that the sides have a bit of flexibility, and that this can cause paint to flake off.
    Clean throughly, use a bit of sandpaper to remove the glossiness so that the surface is matt ( " key " the surface ), gently wipe with a clean cloth with some thinner, and then put on your coat of epoxy paint. Mine looked great and lasted for many years.
    ... and oh yeah ... let the epoxy dry completely, and soak your tank for a few days to remove most of the chemicals in the paint.</blockquote>

Thanks Mfwlee for your kind explaination....I'll try sand down the curvy area for rougher surface before painting the FGT....
    (Y)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership