Medications and whether these affects the good bacteria colonies in the biological chamber
  • ShukriShukri December 2012
    Hi all,
    Since I have been asked on numerous times, I have come up with this thread so that we know what medication affects the good bacteria in the biological chambers and what medications do not (I can only give feedback from my experience). Others, please also provide your feedback:-

1. Salt (NaCl) - not known to wipe out the bacteria in the filter chambers.
    2. KmNO4 (Potassium Permanganate) - depending on the frequency and the dosage, part of the bacteria colonies could be reduced, but not wiped out. It is encouraged to use the bacteria starter to boost the re generation of the bacteria colony. This is an oxidizer.
    3. Biotope -
    4. Malachite Green -
    5. Methylene Blue -
    6. S1-
    7. Pimafix -
    8. Kenkona -
    9. Melafix -
    10. Praziquantel - does not affect the bacteria colony
    11. Blagdon Anti Ulcer -
    12. Yellow Powder -
    13. Oxy Tetracycline -
    14. Enrofloxacin -
    15. Dimilin - not known to affect the bacteria colony
    16. Masoten - not known to affect bacteria colony
    17. Blagdon Anti parasite - not known to affect the bacteria colony
    18. Blagdon anti fungus & bacteria
    19. Parasite Killer - not known to affect the bacteria colony
    20. Ocean Free -
    21. Bifuran -
    22. Washing the filter materials and chambers with chlorinated water - only affect a little but do not knock out the bacteria colony.
    23. Hydrogen Peroxide - this is an oxidizer.

For other medication, please add to this list. And for those that have experience with any of the above medication, please provide your feedback, which is highly appreciated.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • lautslauts December 2012
    Bro Shukri,

To share , OTC has very lasting effect on bio bacts. I had to use it in QT via feeding one time and thereafter for next 2 weeks my water never register any nitrate reading only ammo and nitrite even with many rounds of good bacts added. Finally only after change the whole coral and filter media then only nitrate register. Powerful stuff this OTC, too powerful .

ts
  • KChongKChong December 2012
    Hi Guys,

Just to share. I did salt my pond couple weeks ago and I dump the calculate amount in my first filter chamber this time. After a week, my water start to turn green and I was really puzzled then.

After cracking my head, I only realized that, it was because I dumped all the salt in the filter chamber at once, the sudden spike salinity in the filter chamber actually killed of the good/nitrification bacteria which leave plenty of nitrate/nitrite for algae to bloom.

It took about 14 days before my pond start to clear up again.
  • HDCuHDCu December 2012
    Hi everyone,

Just a followup on Bro Kchong's observation.

I did perform a 0.3 percent salt three weeks ago and added masoten( an organophospate) once every week for three weeks. I am now battling green water algae growth for the first time since i commisioned my new pond.

Do you think the Masoten increased the phosphate levels in the pond to fuel algae growth or is it just coincidence.

Guys,
    From my experience, salt at 0.5% does kill the algae, and why you see the green stuff in the water.

And I also suspect that high concentration of salt also kills some bacteria, but I do not believe that the wiped out is critical.

And Bro KChong,
    Is your UV light still in working condition?

And Bro HDCu,
    Since your pond is new and have not actually set in as yet, could be a coincidence........
    But, lets monitor and see how it goes........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi Bro Shukri,

I dont use UV :) .. I dumped all the salt in my first chamber and based on my calculation, it was 120kg of salt for my 40mt pond in my filter chamber of 10mt and the salinity will spike to around 1.0% for short time and that may kill the nitrification bacteria

Other than that, can't think of any other reason for the transient green water.

Bro HDCu, I am not sure whether Organophosphate kill algae or not but definitely some ectoparasite. As for Green water, UV light will be the best but once the nitrification bacteria set in, the green water will go away.
    Bro KChong,
    120Kg in 40ton means 0.3% salt..........and based on this percentage, should not really harm the bacteria that bad. But the initial concentration of the salt in the filter chamber (before dilution) could post a problem (I suspect).

Hope that the green water is gone.......
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-12-05 11:08:36 am
    Hi Shukri,

Yes that is what suspected too. Anyway the green water had gone now and my pond water is crystal clear now.

Will visit you once of this day after my traveling marathon. :)
    Bro KChong,
    I too am suffering from a slight green water due to the numerous rounds of medication i.e. started with 0.6% salt, then two rounds of Malachite green. The fishes are bouncing back slowly but surely........
    I see ... hope everything will get back to normal soon....
    Post edited by KChong at 2012-12-07 02:09:06 pm
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar December 2012
    1. Salt (NaCl) - not known to wipe out the bacteria in the filter chambers.
    -safe level max of 0.7%. Not harmful for the bac colony if raise 0.2% every 4 hours
    2. KmNO4 (Potassium Permanganate) - depending on the frequency and the dosage, part of the bacteria colonies could be reduced, but not wiped out. It is encouraged to use the bacteria starter to boost the re generation of the bacteria colony. This is an oxidizer.
    -safe level 2 g/ton and do not wipe out bac colony
    3. Biotope -
    4. Malachite Green -
    5. Methylene Blue -
    6. S1- recommended 1 l/ton but this dosage too high and can affect both koi and bac colony. Once I used this dosage and after few days had algae bloom. 1l/3000 ton does not effect bac colony.
    7. Pimafix -
    8. Kenkona - when use recommended level, it is does reduce bac colony but not wipe out bac colony. BUT have to pour in stages maybe 25% each with 30 minutes interval. If pour all, major wipe out
    9. Melafix -
    10. Praziquantel - does not affect the bacteria colony
    11. Blagdon Anti Ulcer -
    12. Yellow Powder - 10g/ton does not affect bac colony
    13. Oxy Tetracycline - OTC has very lasting effect on bio bacts (by bro TS)
    14. Enrofloxacin -
    15. Dimilin - not known to affect the bacteria colony
    16. Masoten - not known to affect bacteria colony
    17. Blagdon Anti parasite - not known to affect the bacteria colony
    18. Blagdon anti fungus & bacteria
    19. Parasite Killer - not known to affect the bacteria colony
    20. Ocean Free -
    21. Bifuran -
    22. Washing the filter materials and chambers with chlorinated water - only affect a little but do not knock out the bacteria colony.
    -do not leave it to dry. Immediately put back into pond.
    23. Hydrogen Peroxide - this is an oxidizer.

Some newbie input :-D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership