Ammonia Removal through Aeration
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2012
    Hi Sifu's and Bro's,

After fixing the diffuser last night, had noticed lots of bubbles at S/s. Maybe the fine bubbles compared normal air stone had break sown the organics in the water.

Other than that, had come across on below matters this morning.

HIGH-RATE AMMONIA REMOVAL IN AERATED ENGINEERED WETLANDS
    S. Wallace*, J. Higgins**, A. Crolla***, C. Kinsley ***, A. Bachand****, and S. Verkuijl*****
    * North American Wetland Engineering LLC, 4444 Centerville Road, Suite 140, White Bear Lake Minnesota USA 55127
    ** Jacques Whitford Limited, 3430 South Service Road, Burlington, Ontario Canada L7N 3T9 *** Ontario Rural Wastewater Centre, College d’Alfred - University of Guelph, 31 St. Paul Street, Ontario, Canada KOB 1A0
    **** Township of North Glengarry, 90 Main Street, Alexandria, Ontario, Canada K0C 1A0 ***** Rosebel Gold Mines NV, Heerenstraat 8, PO Box 2973, Paramaribo, Suriname

ABSTRACT
    This paper summarizes results from two studies conducted at an engineered wetland pilot facility at Alfred College (Ontario, Canada). The pilot facility consists of an aerated, vertical downward saturated subsurface flow wetland (1.08 m2 surface area, 0.83 m bed depth, 1.3 cm gravel media) with supporting feed tanks and equipment. The system can be heated or cooled to control operating temperatures. The first study involved nitrification of domestic wastewater for the Township of North Glengarry, Ontario. The system was operated at a hydraulic loading rate of 33 cm/d and nominal hydraulic retention time of 1.2 days. The observed volumetric 2 TIS rate constant averaged 10.0 day-1 at 25°C and 8.4 day-1 at 6°C. The calculated θ factor was 1.02, which is comparable to literature values (1.04). The second study involved nitrification of mine process water from the Rosebel Gold Mine (Suriname, South America). The system was operated at 25°C, with a hydraulic loading rate of 12.9 cm/d and a nominal hydraulic retention time of 6.5 days, both with and without aeration. With aeration, the observed volumetric 2 TIS rate constant was averaged 5.7 day-1; without aeration, the rate constant dropped to 0.52 day-1. The results of these two studies indicate aerated wetland systems with a low energy input (approximately 10% of that required by an activated sludge process) can be used for ammonia removal, even at cold water temperatures.

Quoted on : http://www.aeratedwetlands.com/docs/54_Technical%20Paper%20-%20IWA%202006%20High-rate%20ammonia%20removal.pdf

I wonder whether it also works for Koi pond. Any comments?
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    Bro TK,
    Thanks for digging on related information and thanks for sharing. I hope those that have installed the diffusers and come forward with their feedbacks i.e. the PROS and CONS..... :)
    First hand reviews are the most beneficial to our brothers and sisters here......IMHO.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership