Strange disease
  • NeliNeli November 2012

The day before yesterday a patch of skin lifted. I cut it off since it was hinging on a thread only...cleaned with peroxide, treated with biobandage, and put in the water,
    I noticed that the surrounding area was some what thinned...like a thin slice of the skin on top was missing.like as if it is thinner but with well defined edge.
    today I found pieces of skin hanging from the fish and large exposed areas of flesh.
    Thought it can be injury somewhere in the tank...but there is nothing apart from 4 round airstones...nothing that can injure the fish.
    It can not be birds...I dont think so. I have never seen any here.
    It looks as if it was a blister that lifted up, and the fish scratched it.
    so Far I have treated it locally only, with peroxide, and biobandage.
    What can that be?
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10608/IMG-20121115-00117 (500x375).jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10609/IMG-20121115-00116 (500x375).jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10610/DSC00936 (604x462).jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10611/DSC00931 (522x640).jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10612/DSC00933 (640x271).jpg
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    Something have torn the skin.......I find it difficult to believe that the fish kind of scratch on the sides of the tank. Something did this to the fish........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ashfaqashfaq November 2012
    4th picture shows skin will come out more near the upper fin. Something wrong notsure what it is
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Shukri,
    Thanks!
    This is my QT...There is nothing inside that can hurt the fish. There is only one more fish inside.
    Look at the second picture from the top. Can U see the area without skin? That happened yesteday.
    When I removed the fish the area which has lifted skin to the left of the open wound was thinner that the rest of the skin, well defined area, like 0.5mm lower that the surrounding skin.
    Today the lower part the skin has lifted. It is an internal or skin problem.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Look at the last picture...it will show U that the skin is lifting on its own...
    I treated the fish with MGF 7 days ago...can it be that?
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Ashfaq,
    I am devastated...My heart is paining...cant stop crying...I dont know what to do.
  • gerrygerry November 2012
    Ouch... Looks painful. Could it be a flesh eating bacteria??? :-?
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    I dont know such a thing. That is what is upsetting me...The fish is suffering.
    Sigh... Sis Neli, sorry to say this but if the fish is suffering n treatment doesn't help, the best thing is to put it to sleep (put it down).

You can do this humanely by overdosing the anaesthetic. :(

I really hope there's a cure for your fish. Maybe some sifus here can help.
  • niveknivek November 2012
    Sis Neli, have you ever seen otters in your area?
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    no. THERE ARE NO OTTERS HERE. it is not a animal.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Gerry, I will not manage to do that.I have to try all to cure it.
    I dont care if my baby looks ugly...just to be healthy and happy.
    Post edited by Neli at 2012-11-15 05:47:16 pm
  • pandaipandai November 2012
    Sis Neli,

That exact same thing happened to one of my kohaku some time ago. It was actually worse than that as it happened on both sides and the entire skin just got peeled off for some 3" x 0.5" rectangular shape. It looked really horrible as you can actually see raw flesh inside. I really didn't know what to do that time (I wasn't in this forum yet at at that time and didn't think of taking pictures and asking other experts for advice) so I just treated my pond with salt and S1. After about two weeks or so the wound healed. The fish was actually behaving normally at all times, swimming and eating. The flesh finally "scarred" on the surface and the fish never looked the same again. I finally released it to the neighborhood lake after making sure that the wound totally healed and new skin start growing.

Until today I never knew what actually happened...
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Sis Neli, while waiting for some answers to this dilemma, you might want to add some salt to the qt tank to help the fish. With skin peeling off like that, the fish will have less control of the amount of water entering the body n this will affect the fish's kidneys.

JMHO. :)
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Bro Pandai Thanks.
    I am going to put salt now. Was it looking the same?

Was it doitsu?
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Gaerry thanks, rushing to put salt now? What percentage?
    No, a normal kohaku. I did 0.5% salt plus S1. And stop feeding.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Dont put it to sleep, this isnt the solution to the problem. Instead we can heal and cure. You can increase salinity level to 0.6% and give heavy aeration. You can apply medicine name Tetracycline capsule
    Thanks,
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Bro pandai it is not eating...I added some salt will add more later and check how much is needed.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Bro ashfaq,
    I will not put it to sleep. There are 4 airstones inside...If I make the salt to 6% how long should I keep it for at that %?
    Whoah..!!! 0.6% sis, not 6%...!
    It's okay. Don't feed during treatment anyway. Mine only start to eat after the treatment. It's the early stage, she must be in pain.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Yes it was a typing mistake...I have a salt meter.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    I just measured one big dish made it 0.02%. will keep on adding every hour more salt till 0.3% today and tomorrow will make it to 0.6%
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    I tried to put food even in her mouth., she refused it.
    She is very tame...
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2012
    I really hope it recover soon. Looking at it make my heart ache =((
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    I might have a heart attack...that is how my heart is paining...
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    Yeap, 6 kg of salt dissolved in 1000 liters............. equals 0.6%
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Yes Darling I know...I use salt often...I am just sitting looking at the computer screan waiting for some solution???? Dont know what to do.
  • HDCuHDCu November 2012
    Sis Neli.

Pls check what is your Ph?
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Going to check it now,but it is in a QT without a filter with running water inside
    I have a well with PH 8.5
    Water is running inside all the time.
    7 days ago I gave it M
    MGF treatment . Can it be that?
    Hi Sis Neli, just back from work. You can treat with salt until you see wound is healing, else it will be exposed to bacterias to attack and spread more.

Feed only medicated food, best to feed garlic mix with pellets
    Thanks,
    Post edited by ashfaq at 2012-11-16 01:23:00 am
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    I cant feed at the moment...She is refusing to eat...garlic I can give her,since i give them all every day.
    Thanks...
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    HDCu, PH is 8.5. I had to go out...My driver was arrested and the car impounded for talking on the phone while driving...
    Sis @Neli, how's the fish now? Any improvement??
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Sis @gerry Darling...still the same but no new skin falling off.
    A friend from Italy, she is a dealer, said it is an aeronoma infection under the skin....
    Another expert from SA said, reaction to the medication, since it is doitsu...
    I think it is also reaction to the medication.
    Just treating it at the moment with salt and some elbagin in the water.
    Oh... Hope it is just a reaction to the medication and that ur fish recovers soon. :)

All she needs is ur TLC n good water... ;)
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Thanks Darling,
    Lets hope it will survive...I dont care how it looks just to be healthy and alive.
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur November 2012
    Just see this
    What dose of MGF u used? On doitsu, normally have to cut to half dose,but never experience like youdid. It could be because MGF treatment, if aeromonas infection, there should be some ulcer already in the flesh.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    I used the recommended dose on the bottle of the MGF...but now I know...normal doses are not good for doitsu...
    Hope other people will learn from that as well.
    I suspect my katashi turned african for the same reason.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership