Reddish on external gill plate
  • BlackBlack November 2012
    Hi Team expert,
    Recently the gill plate of my koi is looking reddish. There is no symptom of clamp fin or reddishness on other parts, no abnormal swimming behaviour. The water parameter in terms of PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all within acceptable range. She eats normal too. what could be the issue? I suspect it is internal parasite.
    Last month she stays afloat and I treated her with anti internal parasite. She recovered since then but now the gill plate....
    She is 7yrs old, 85cm sanke.
    Kindly shed some light
    Thanks
    Black
    This is the best shot I can get for the reddish gill.
    Kind regard
    Black
    Attachments
    IMG_2245.JPG 106K
  • mrkoimrkoi November 2012
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10577/IMG_2245.JPG[1].jpg
  • lautslauts November 2012
    Wow bro Black,

85cm sanke , not very common. What size did you start keeping her , better pict necessary for sure. (Y)
    Ok here is what i would do. Sedate her and check the gill plate area. If there is break in the skin , good idea to apply some topical to prevent infection. Topicals like malachite green , pp and koi specific antiseptic spray are ok. Tricky part is make sure no medication gets to the sensitive gill area by wiping dry the gill plate before applying. If there is no break in skin probably internal infection. Look for other redness areas esp below the lateral line. If none , you would want to observe the koi in pond, without need to QT. The koi should be able to heal with good water and minimal stress. If things take a turn for the worse , you may need to try mild antibiotic injection. But do use as last resort , as kois have remarkable healing abilities if given a chance.
    When you sedate the koi , do check on the gills too just to make sure it is not gill disease. Good luck bro.

ts
    Bro Laut,
    Thanks for your responsive comment and support. I started keeping her when she was 30cm. She grows strong and without any issue. Last month she afloated and struggle to swim straight and even swim down to bottom of pond. I have to quarantine her and apply anti internal parasite on the q tank. Fortunately after 10 days she recovered.
    I am currently oversea and trying to diagnose the problem remotely and I dont have any expert in the house to do any sedation nor any sedating material available. What is the suspect do you think? can you explain what is meant by "break in skin"? From observation, there is no reddishness below the lateral line.
    What worries me is possibly the infection in gill has spread visibly to the external and it is not going to be an easy fix? I wonder whether applying formalin will help. or anti bacteria?
    Kindly advise
    Thank you
    Black
    Bro,

From 30cm to 85cm and a sanke too (Y) (Y) , very well done. More details on your kois and pond most welcome later. Are you in Msia?

I think she most probably bump on something , by break in skin i mean cuts , abrasions which may need some topical treatment. Good to hear no other redness, localised pineconing elsewhere.

Gills disease could possibly spread to edge of gill cover , but yours look clean. Only on the cover behind the eye looks reddish? Not too diff to sedate with MS222 , just follow instruction then open gill cover and inspect the gills. Does she near water surface or water outlet or air bubbles ? If so you may want to QT her again . In QT and if you suspect gill disease , you can try Blagdon anti bacteria for gills disease. Also use product with Benzalkonium Chloride , like Roccal Gill Wash , basically to wash the gills off slime and dead tissues. If you do have Gill Disease , you may need to use Ben. Chloride for other kois not infected to clean and prevent them from getting infected.

good luck bro.

ts
    Ok, Bro,
    Thanks. I am not from Malaysia. I will tell you soon.
    It is only the external gill plates looks reddish. The reddish part also look bumpy. Don't know what happen. She is not on water surface or air bubble. That small pond is running a single air ring with LP100. I think it is more than enough in terms of air not to de-energise her. She is already been quarantined and so the spreading of virus is to the minimum.
    I will monitor her one more day and decide the next course of action.
    Thank you
    Black
    Bro,

The info looks positive. Replied the pm ,best of luck. Don't forget to update on pond and kois later when things are more appropriate. Small pond , 30- 85cm sounds very interesting :/

ts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership