Bio Ring Filter
  • archonarchon November 2012
    Hey guys just wanna ask about the bio ring lifespan.
    How long can it last and how often should I replace it?
    And what is the best type of bio ring?
  • niveknivek November 2012
    Don't think there's any lifespan to it bro archon meaning forever. The current ones I'm using are ceramic bio rings which cost about RM3 per kilo.
    Post edited by nivek at 2012-11-12 10:54:04 pm
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    As a good practice, I think should be replaced every 3 years or so for the normal quality ones......If you see that the bio rings have degraded, then it is high time to change.........
    I find bio crystal being a better medium than bio rings.......but more expensive though! but worth every penny.........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-11-12 10:58:24 pm
  • grinkz01grinkz01 November 2012
    have seen a friend' pond, 15 ton volume, used to have bioball for biofilter but now changed to crystal bio.....I am speechless to see the water clarity then...it's really worth for penny
  • archonarchon November 2012
    How many kilos of bio ring per tan of water is recomended?
  • HDCuHDCu November 2012
    Different bio ring are made differently with different surface area and degassing abilities. As a rule, bio ring with higher surface area have higher chance of pores getting block over time. This will result in lower efficiency. A good practice to prolong bioring is to use prefiltered water as such in submerged application it is prefererably used in cleanest chamber or in shower filter setup, a good mechanical fine filter helps. This will prolong the life of the bio ring to at least 10 x.

In the event that efficiency of bioring drops over time, one can regenerate the ring by soaking it in muriatic acid solution with aeration for a certain time and washing it carefully afterwards.

The amount of bioring recommended per ton is based on manufacturers claim(some manufacturer exagerates), turnover rate, feeding rate, other filter media used, water temp, etc.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-11-13 12:14:42 pm
  • azzam_kazazzam_kaz July 2013
    Hello, may I know , that bio ring can use for small aquarium filter ? and what actually its benefit and advantages ?
  • Ivanlo24Ivanlo24 July 2013
    Hi Guys, can you please assist to advise where can I purchase Crystal Bio from?
  • kolampkolamp July 2013
    Ivanlo24,

You can get it at Atarikoi Tmn Desa...got mine from there...
  • Ivanlo24Ivanlo24 July 2013
    Thanks for the information bro Kolamp

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership