Seeking Advise on New Pond
  • cetaycetay November 2010
    Seeking Advise
    Post edited by cetay at 2011-02-10 09:54:49 pm
  • ShukriShukri November 2010
    Hi there Cetay,
    Why don't you consider the depth to be 5ft? For the water pump, there are many other brands available. For the air pump, Hilea is a good alternative, and the price is at least half the price of Hi Blow. Others are Sonic and Resun......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • AndySittAndySitt November 2010
    Hi bro, Shukri suggestion is good. U need atleast 4 feet depth. Go for 5 feet and you can adjust the depth according to situation. When u have new addition of fishes or adding dimilin just lower it to 3 feet in case some fishes were to jump. My pond is 3 feet and frankly it's to shallow.
  • etanoetano November 2010
    I am using Resun air pumps, much cheaper than hiblow. Water pumps I am using is viper which also cheaper.
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • JamesJames November 2010
    Huh 5'. My new pond being redone is only 4'+ wor??
    Bro James, 4 feet is OK, but don't be jealous if you visit my pond full of kois with humps and huge shoulders.......... hehehehe! (ok) :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion & feedback. Unfortunately 3ft is the max that i can go. The pond is next to my house so there are quite a lot structural footings to deal with. Actually, the water depth will be 3ft. The pond is 3.5ft.

Bro Shukri/ Elmen,
    On Hilea/ Resun air pump, can you pls let me know when can i get it? What's the price like? I find Hiblow is just way too expensive!

Hilea can be bought at Jalan Pasar, and KDF sells Resun.......
    I think you can find Resun in Atari as well. I bought mine from Vinson Aquarium in Kajang.
  • DanleeDanlee November 2010
    Bro Cetay,

Just sent you a private message. Please take a look.
    Bro Shukri, how deep in your pond again? and tonnage?
    According to the contractor, it is 28 ton. But my suspicion is 25 ton, 5.5 feet deep at water level.......
    if mine goes 5.5 feet, it will be 38 ton water.... too hard to maintain i think... maybe 4.5 feet max? what do u think? they are still digging now..
    Sounds good bro.......
    ok. 4.5 feet it is..
    Thanks for the info, Bro Elmen/ Shukri & Danlee.
    Appreciate it...
  • KaajKaaj November 2010
    Cetay,
    Can you also increase your filter depth to 3'? Both filter and pond should ideally be at the same level.

On the water pump, you can also try sunsun. I think big bro paul used this and saved quite a bit on his electricity usage.

On the depth, some enthusiasts including Bro ThimHwa and David Soon from singapore have 3'-3.5' ponds. But i believe they have very stringent cleaning regimes and use a lot of air pumps to increase water pressure.

You can have 30 koi in a 15ton pond, but the question is how deligent you will be when it comes to keeping prime water conditions :)
  • DRADRA November 2010
    <blockquote rel="James">ok. 4.5 feet it is..</blockquote>
    Dear James

I believe we have not met. Shukri's advice is worth listening too. Perimeter depth of 5' , tapering slightly deeper to the middle of pond. If you can achieve 6' in the center will be ideal. 38 ton pond is easily manageable. I am sure you will not regret it.

Regards

Razif Abdullah
    Hi Razif,

Ok. I will seriously think about it.... cost implications are large for every additional ton of water. My system is non circular, but 1-directional so the deep end will be at the farther side.

Like they've been saying, great friend making in the forum above all else.

tks.
    Hi Kaaj,
    Thanks for your input.
    I shall consider that. The reason I put at 2.5ft is I find 3ft is a little too deep to maintain.
    Will check out sunsun pump that you mentioned. Thanks
    Well James, slide from 4 feet to 6 feet.. Many people opted for 3 feet because of the inability to dig deeper. David Soon's pond was built at 3 feet as it was build in the penthouse and he cannot build too high up. Most of the sifu always advise to go 5 feet and play around with the water.. Well frankly.. even 38 ton of water is not much..

I am now keeping 21 fishes in 9 ton of water (40-70bu) and frankly.. not much problem as long as you clean the filter regularly.. I decided not to reduce the fish as the fish is now so aggressive when it comes to food..
  • HWONGHWONG November 2010
    James,

If you are not shading the pond, your kois are subject to sunburn in a shallow pond.

If you cant dig deeper, consider having a semi raised pond like Bro Allan Sim's. You can sit on the ledge and a lot easier to feed by hand and to catch kois. I am seriously considering raising my pond by 2 feet above ground.
  • lautslauts November 2010
    A semi raised pond is a good idea if you cannot dig deeper for reasons raised by Hwong. To add ,
    a) Safer if you have children expecially if you make ledge thicker using slates etc.
    b) Pond water cooler , less affected by ground heat.
    c) Easier to see your kois upclose without lying on the floor and look silly.
    d) Will avoid frog issues if high enough.

:-) :-)
    rgd
    ts
    Hi Andy,
    21 kois in a 9 ton pond. That's amazing.
    Can share some pics of you pond? I am really interested to have a look.

Thanks.
    Bro Andy, I decided to redo the pond primarily because I was tired of washing it entirely every 5-days. And I mean washing, as I had to remove all filter materials physically. The stupid contractor who did my previous pond had no direct waste removal. It had to be pumped out through the clean chamber...

Now it is likely to slide from 4 ft to 4.5 ft, but you are right that this slope may not be enough as the pond will be 25' - 26'.

Previously I keep 19 fish in 7 ton (40-60 bu) and the crap is too much!
    James, you can consider automating the backwash.. Have a small pump in the settlement chamber or the second chamber and allow it to on say every 3 hours. These dirty water will go straight to the drain. If you haven't buy any media I suggest you get the Matala matts.. Its easier to clean and much tougher compared to J Matts. I am planning to chnage all my J Matts to Matala after seeing it in action.. Recently I just removed all my crystal bio as well from the 2nd filter and my maid was much happier (less cleaning).

The key I felt is lots of oxygen if you plan to have many fishes.. Chiller is good but most of us tend to off it or increase the temperature after 1 year of use..
    Andy, I've not added a chiller for the fact that there is a lot of water and it is fully exposed, though not to direct sun. The pond will have an automatic washing which will once a day, but think can set for it to be more frequent.

As for changing J matts to Matala, do you know how much more it costs? And where/when u buying ? I have also read a bit about this and seems to make sense.

Could you advise why u removed your crystal bios? Where would your bacteria breed now?
  • SengChoonSengChoon November 2010
    Bro James,

Ideally, it shd be 6 feet. But due to safety reasons if you have children, 5 feet is good enuf. I did mine at 5 feet but after a while, I am thinking of making it 6 feet.

6' will not only drown children but me too with cost of building...hahaha the current deepest point before cement works is 7' + at the filter chambers, shallow end will be 4' stretching about 28' long. this pond is about 4.5x my old in terms of water volume.

If i expand the pond any further, hopefully it will be in a bigger new home.. *dream*
  • KaajKaaj November 2010
    Mate dont forget the oxygenator. Many hobbyists have been happier for the use of it :)
  • SengChoonSengChoon November 2010
    Bro James,

Looks like the hole in your pocket just got bigger... :)

<blockquote rel="Kaaj">Mate dont forget the oxygenator. Many hobbyists have been happier for the use of it :)</blockquote>
    Yea man. No more hole in pocket, more like black hole.
    Holes in the pocket are OK..........just make sure you do not lose your pants...... (smoking)
    For that reason, I always have a belt on....he he
    Hi,
    I will be purchasing the filter media soon. Bro Andy mentioned about J-Mat & Matala Mat. Can the bros here comments about these two so as to help me decide?

Bro Andy, you also mentioned that you remove your crystal bio. Any reason for this?

Thanks.
    Hi bro, you may get the Matala matt (Taiwan made) from Yamakoshi and I heard Aka Koi is getting some as well. The difference between these 2 are Matala is stronger and easier to clean compare to J Matt. The problem with Crystal Bio for me is that its so difficult to clean and often dirt's are stuck there forever. I am still using crystal bio for my bakki shower but not for my filter.. Now I understand why many sifu's pond only uses matts.. My theory now is that the faster I remove the waste, its better than keeping those waste for biological magic in the crystal bio.
    I c... thank bro Andy.
    May I know how you position the Matala mat? Do you put it like J-mat i.e in a honeycomb? Or place horizontally?
    Looks like I might need to re-think about putting crystal bio in my filter chamber.

I second Bro Andy's opinion. Cleaning crystal bio is back breaking but don't intend to replace them yet. Matala mat is good enough for bio filteration?
    Bros, they suggest putting the matt (big gap/hole, middle gap then small gap).. The mats with smallest gap is use to keep bacteria.. All put horizontally for easy cleaning.. I suggest you talk to the dealer as they know better. They claim that the surface area is more than enough for bacteria to culture... 460 sq. meter per mat.

I suggest you put some matt first and then bio media in the future if needed.. Just leave a filter compartment empty..
  • terenceyongterenceyong August 2011
    hello everyone. i am new here. just got a contractor to dig out a pond. planning to have a water curtain. heard from the contractor that to get it (water curtain), i would have to get a decent pump. my neighbourhood fish shop carries brands like dab and viper. which one should i opt for?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership