Kohaku Shimi, how to manage?
  • SsmannSsmann November 2012
    Dear sifus, i posted this in another thread but did not get any response. I have a problem with my kohaku that has a shimi. Likely the water is too hard, based on my research. My questions are;

- how do i remove the shimi?
    - how to I make the water thin?

A picture to guide, can see the shimi in between where my thumb and finger are on the pic. Many thanks in advance.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10381/kohaku shimi.JPG

rgds - S
    Post edited by Ssmann at 2012-11-03 09:11:48 pm
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    Brother Serjit Singh,
    If the Shimi is on top of the scale, use a knife to scrap the shimi. If it is underneath the scale, best is to cut and take out the scale, and cut the tissue underneath the scale. To me it looks like only one scale........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Thanks bro Shukri. Wah liao...i have to do surgery ah? This is scary. And youre right bro, it is only one scale. Is this common? Do i need to be concerned of a bigger prob with my water?? Thanks a bunch bro.
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    My suspicion is there is nothing wrong with the water, just purely genetic......

You can do it Bro! just one scale........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • pandaipandai November 2012
    Come, come, let me do it!!! I always wanted to perform surgery on my kois but too scared. I can practice on yours lah bro Serjit...!!! ;-)
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • weihanweihan November 2012
    Hi Bro ssmann
    Its not difficult to remove the shimi, I have done it before with my bare hand, you can try to srach it out gently..
    Bro Shukri, thanks. I'm gonna give it a try

Bro Pandai, thanks for offer. If I fail, u will be given the honor to perform surgery :-D

Bro Weihan, thanks. I'll give it a try and report back
  • TomyCTomyC June 2013
    What's your filter maintenance regime? Can you take some pictures of the bottom of your filter?
  • SandraSandra August 2013
    Can anyone advise. I have a 121cm long aquarium with three 30cm koi in it. Is the tank big enough for these three koi.
    My tank is actually 121cm long, depth 55cm, width 40cm. So does anyone know if this tank is the right size for three 30cm kois please. They are able to turn around at each end with a bit of room still spare.
    Also what do i need to add to water if any, what sort of food to feed and any other suggestions for koi living in an indoor aquarium. They seem happy, eating blood worms and a special mix of food that smells like blood and bone, apparently high in protein and gives a oily surface to water. Koi have been in tank for two days. The variety of koi are black chargoi, red and white kohuku and a yellow ogon.any suggestions for a successful environment in this tank.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar August 2013
    Welcome to the forum Sandra. I suggest you start your own thread with details include your filter details, where r u located, and some photos of your aquarium :)
    Based on your description, your aquarium should b 300 liter. It's a bit overcrowded for 3 koi but let it be. Do not add more. There r lots of varieties of pellet based food available in the market. Try it out. Your kois would love it
    Cheers

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership