worms found in filter chamber
  • IzrulIzrul November 2012
    Dear sifus and otais..
    I found these worms in my filter chamber,bioring bags and jap mats..
    What are these?how to eliminate?
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10374/PicsArt_1351910407323.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10375/PicsArt_1351910464115.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10376/PicsArt_1351910492448.jpg
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    Brother Izrul,
    Those are BLOODWORMS, the larvae of the Midges flies........does not cause any harm, just unsightly adults flying around the pond......a nuissance most of the time.

You can Dimilin your pond or use WATERBASED insecticide spray to get rid of them......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Thanks bro shukri...panicked already.luckily i dont pour all medicine and salt :-D :-))
    Btw,in malay what do we call midges flies?
    I am not really sure whether there is such a term in Malay............
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    In the old days, many aquarium shops sell these bloodworms to be fed to our fishes....
    Sorry for another newbie question,but how to use the dimilin?
    Pour it into filter chamber? Looks like i hv to go to yama today....haishhh :-D :-D :-D
  • koiBoykoiBoy November 2012
    Hi bro Izrul,
    I used to have a lot in my filter chamber as well, can say almost the entire filter. Used dimilin and everything went off and have a bit left... Do 2-3 treatment and poof it's gone. U can purchase them in most of the koi dealers. As for the dosage, different dealers take in different dosage in terms of per tonne calculation. Usually I get from Atarikoi which is 2grams per tonne. Correct me if I'm wrong sifus. ;)

Cheers
  • pandaipandai November 2012
    In Malay, they are called "sera" although I personally am more familiar with the term "agas".

I normally collect those bloodworms and feed them to my favorite koi... Yum, yum... She said...
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2012
    Bro Pandai,

Bolehkah @-)
  • pandaipandai November 2012
    Boleh what? Feed bloodworms to kois? I don't see why not. I saw them being sold at aquarium shop as fish feed. I did not ask any sifus about it though...
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2012
    Hmmmmmm, interesting Bro Pandai,

Would try to net few bloodworms and feed my Koi. My Koi already in fasting mode since yesterday. Later evening is the feeding time, am sure they would wallop anything i throw :-))
  • kolampkolamp November 2012
    I fed frozen bloodworm to my fish...they love it very2 much :X
    Those bloodworms are 'yummy' to the fishes in general. If we know where the bloodworm source is, then it is fine. Sometimes, these bloodworms are gotten from the longkang, which is dirty and could be infection with negative pathogens.......

If these are cheap and abundance, I do not mind getting some........
  • ZackZack November 2012
    Live blood worms is bright red in colour & when it wriggles in the water, similar pattern like mosquito larvae. Usually sold in aquarium shop & when seller scoop it, you can see some form of animal shit together with the blood worm. Those whom keep Discuss prefer to feed them as it brings up the colour of the discuss fish. Warning here as mentioned that the shit in the water may cause trouble to your pond as we do not know what kind of bacteria or virus is with the blood worms.
    My kois are my lover
    Ohh..now i know.so no worries..i also bought the bloodworms for my parrots and discus..
    Should flush them to the tank,sure kois love it..
    Since my filter chamber is the hotspot for breeding em,looks like i can sell em too
    Anyone?? :-))
  • ChualimshyangChualimshyang November 2012
    I have this problem too, when flush out my filtration chamber
    It was bloodworm galore together with the fish waste.
    I use dimilin too it works but must use continuesly
    If not they will be back! And it not cheap!
    I think have to do with water quality, whenever my pond
    Smell,they will swam to stagnant water ( meaning
    Your chamber) too lay egg!
    When I put beneficial bacterial power in my
    Pond , I haven't seen them lately!
    Live bloodworm really hard to come by nowadays...last time 20 years ago u can get it at almost all fish shop....now im using Hikari frozen bloodworm...I used it since my marine days & doesn't affect my fishes so I continue to feed it to my koi...the only concern bout these frozen bloodworm is the water that comes with those worm are very high NO3 & PO4 so need to rinse 1st before feed it to the fish :-D
    Bro Kolamp,
    My suspicion is that 20 years ago there were not that many koi ponds around. Nowadays, the Midges flies have a lot of options......so they kind of spread out real sparse, thus the bloodworms are all over the place! My theory la........ :-)) :-)) :-D
    Sifu Shukri,
    Probably ure right....too many options until not available anymore :-)) :-))
  • B19B19 July 2013
    Can I purposely introduce bloodworm to my pond to eat the sludge and crap from it? It that a good/bad idea?
  • ShukriShukri July 2013
    B19, it is a bad idea..........

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership