Fogging against mosquitoes
  • MfwleeMfwlee October 2012
    With the coming of our wet season, the authorities have started their ad hoc fogging all over my area. I have made numerous requests for them to kindly give me some advance notice - but this sadly does not seem to work because the strong winds can spread the stuff quite far - even from a few houses / roads away.

Is the fogging lethal to our koi ? Is there anything that we can do ? Are there others affected by the same problem ?

So far I have been rushing out ( i.e. when I am in the house ) to top up my small pond and F/G tanks so that the surface runs off. What will happen if I am not at home is something that has always frightened me.

Many Thanks for your time.
    Mike Lee
  • ZackZack October 2012
    Forging is done once a week at my residencial. Resident do have concerned on their health impact. Authority replied that chemical used meet the standard that does not affect human & pets. Kois in our condominium pond so far does not seems to have any health issue. You may need to check with your residing authority on the chemical use by the company that does the task or is there a control by the authority on these companies to strictly follows the guidelines given to them.
    My kois are my lover
    Thanks Zack - yes, that is what I did. The only problem is that there are a few different people who fog - the authorities when somebody is unfortunate enough to get hit with dengue, contractors who operate from a contract with certain households ( normally expatriate company houses - but easier to talk to these guys ), routine fogging via contractors, etc.

They have all assured me that my koi will not die - but the visible film that they all leave on the surface of the water is always worrying.

I am tempted to believe them ( after all, this has gone on for a few years ) but am just wondering if anybody else has discovered a problem that they may want to share.

With our beloved pets, pays to be careful ya ?

Thanks again.
    Mike Lee
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    I would recommend adding activated carbon.
  • ZackZack October 2012
    Understand that the chemical used is of ISO standard governed by WHO. Of course as owner of our pets we are concerned of the thin film of oily formation on the pond water surface before it goes to filtration. Management of my residential says that for 15years of his service, he have not encountered any issue on owners pets or kois due to this. For this case, guess we can just try our best to counter effect possible effect of the fogging process. Rest leave it to god to decide on the fate.
    My kois are my lover
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Unless that chemical is proven not to have any long or short term effect on koi or on its skin quality, I would not take chances. A Building administrator does not know a thing about quality of kois but only whether a koi survives or not.

ISO is just a system of standards but as far as I know fogging chemicals are still classified by the EPA as mosquito larvae pesticide.

Many years ago people used DDT to effectively control mosquito population. It was not until many years after that it was banned. However many developing countries still use DDT
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-10-31 02:31:26 pm
  • ZackZack October 2012
    If that is the case, is there any chemical or form of anti-dote that we can use to immediately counter effect all possibility rather than waiting for filtration system to takes it's course?
    My kois are my lover
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    If your pond is small then as per ratio any chemical that falls in the pond is magnified as compared to a larger volume of water. The former would need at least some activated carbon to adsorb any chemicals while the latter need not worry.
  • ZackZack October 2012
    Got it. Thk you very much bro.
    My kois are my lover
    Thank you ... will do the necessary.
    Mike Lee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership