• alfalf November 2010
    Hi all, can anyone kind enough to advice me where to buy biotope , the purpose and how use it?Thank you very much.
  • AndySittAndySitt November 2010
    Paul is the best person to answer this topic. I bought mine from Max Koi Farm. Atari sells it as well but it seems that the concentration level is different..

But the question is.. do you need it? I used to put 5ml to 1ton of water but has since stop using.
  • PH8PH8 November 2010
    Biotope, or more commonly labelled BioTalk, is a refined chlorine dioxide solution in liquid form. Because of its chlorine content, extreme care must be taken when dosing it, otherwise it may harm your koi.

Apparently it is commonly used by many Japanese koi farms, notably including Sakai FF. I am of the understanding that they use it mainly for 2 purposes - in show tanks as it apparently negates ammonia for short periods of time, and also in tubs when they are photographing koi as Biotope apparently reduces surface foam, making the water clearer for photography. The Japanese use a tiny dosage only (I am not sure how much exactly, I believe they themselves estimate only since they don't really measure the exact volume in measuring tubs and show tanks) and typically apply it by spraying it onto the water surface from a small syringe.

On another forum, Brother David introduced Biotope to us, but for a totally different purpose - that of reducing the levels of coliform (which is a type of bad bacteria, the measurement of which is a useful guide to the levels of other bad bacteria like aeromonas). He gets his Biotope from Max Koi Farm. I do believe Max does something to the Japanese Biotope as it smells different (colour is also different) from the generic version I bought from Atari. Since the dosage of 5ml of Max's Biotope per ton of pond water is based on Brother David's recommendation, I personally dare not use Biotope sourced from anywhere else as it smells and looks different, so there may be risks of dosing a different chemical (or a different concentration of the same chemical). The Max version is also much more expensive (about SGD100 per 100ml) than the Atari version.

Biotope should be dosed in the evenings since sunlight tends to negate chlorine and Biotope will lose effectiveness quickly if dosed during the daytime. Also, do not use it on a day when you added anti-chlorine solution or crystals into the pond as these will also negate Biotope.

I have personally tested the coliform levels in my pond and can confirm that Biotope is totally effective in killing bad bacteria. Such bacteria are the unseen killer in many ponds. One can have zero ammonia and nitrites, low nitrates and a stable healthy pH, but the koi could have lots of health problems (fin rot, ulcers etc) because of high coliform levels in the water. You won't be able to see it with naked eyes. I actually have to get professional water testing companies to come take a water sample back to their lab to do the test.

Hope this helps.
  • alfalf November 2010
    Bro Andy, i don't need it now but good to know what is it and learn more.Thanks for refering bro PH8 to explain.It have been educating.

Bro PH8, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.Appreciate it.
  • alfalf November 2010
    Bro Andy, since it can kill bad bacteria n reduce coliform why stop using leh? Is it really bad for the koi health.Sorry being naive here.
  • AndySittAndySitt November 2010
    Bro Alf, I stopped using since my bottle was used up. Since I do not check my coliform level, I cant really tell from my naked eyes. Also since bro Paul mention about the difference of Max and Atari version, I didnt get any locally.

I guess all of us try different things during the lifespan of our hobby and sometimes we wonder what is best..

• alfalf November 2010
    Bro PH8, Thanks for sharing the experience and knowledge.Appreciate it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership