Nivek's kois growth
  • niveknivek October 2012
    Just thought I'll take a few pics of my showas (both females), although I dare not bowl them up fearing they'll do the superman stunt b-( I'll be getting the clay from bro lauts to try to improve their sumi. Overall I'm quite happy with the growth :)

Dainichi Showa Tosai

koianswers.com/discussion/download/10173/Dainichi-Showa-5-Feb-2010web.jpg

When I bought it from Yamakoshi

koianswers.com/discussion/download/10174/Dainichi Showa 29 Aug 2012.jpg

Today

koianswers.com/discussion/download/10175/Dainichi-Showa-24-Oct-2012web.jpg

Here's a photo I finally managed to take of my Sakuma Showa from Zen Koi

koianswers.com/discussion/download/10176/Sakuma-Showa-24-oct-2012web.jpg
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-10-24 05:43:05 pm
  • IzrulIzrul October 2012
    Wahh bro,very good both showas...the sakuma surely looks stunning
  • koiBoykoiBoy October 2012
    love your sakuma!
  • jamiltjamilt October 2012
    Very nice Sakuma Showa bro Kevin.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar October 2012
    Looking gud bro :X
    Really a gud bargain
    Penangites kichis all turning to sifu now already =D>
    Right broTK :-D
  • JamesJames October 2012
    Weh bros, secondary beni le!!! Sorry bro Kevin.
    Post edited by James at 2012-10-24 11:44:56 pm
    Mana sampai Sifu, still a looooooong way lah bro. Need to learn more in koi selection, better grooming method, QT, medication, injection method, etc, etc, etc. It's a never ending process, but definitely a shorter learning curve, thanks to all sifu's and brothers in this forum.
    Yes Bro James, between the first step and second step beni, also in between second and third step.
  • JamesJames October 2012
    Bro TK, learning fast..... that's the way to choose koi le, don't just b obsessed with beauty.... Beauty lies in eyes of beholder, whilst quality is not disputable.
    Thanks bros :)

Yea saw the secondary beni as well. Reason I chose her was good body conformation, wide shoulder, distance between eyes, Y shaped sumi on head, huge mouth, strong tail tube and overall imposing look. Potential jumbo qualities lol
    Post edited by nivek at 2012-10-25 02:21:29 am
  • russellrussell October 2012
    I love the showas so much! So much envy!
  • SsmannSsmann October 2012
    Bro Kevin, to me this is really nice and a real beauty. I've learnt one thing over the past 6 months ive been in this hobby....if u decide to buy a BMW 3 series, but when u go into the showroom u come out with a X6M, then either the salesman so damn cekap or the buyer so damn confused.....we have to be strong and take baby steps to grow this hobby to really appreciate its beauty. In my assessment, you have really got that patience and strength. Well done bro! I really do like your Sakuma.....

Post edited by Ssmann at 2012-10-25 01:26:58 pm
    thanks bro russell and bro Ssmann for the kind feedback :)
    To me,thats a perfect beautiful showa..nothing much on the secondary beni.the dazzling looks on her made the secondary is a minor demerit.
    U almost there bro kevin!
  • vivianvivian October 2012
    Want to sell ka sakuma? Hehe...
  • wongyengwongyeng October 2012
    Sukuma showa is very nice !
    Did u try to bulk these 2 up ?
    This one is still new lah bro

Less than a month, we will see after 3 months. Bro Kevin? :-?
    Thanks bro Izrul :)
    @vivian - nola not selling haha
    @wongyeng - thanks bro. have bulked up the dainichi quite a lot. sakuma just got it last weekend so will be bulking her too although she's already the fattest now in the pond haha
    Bro TK - haha ya ya force feed LOL
  • niveknivek October 2013
    Here's my Sakuma Showa after 1 year, now about 60cm :)

koianswers.com/discussion/download/14231/sakuma showa.jpg
  • gerrygerry October 2013
    Wah... nice le... but tail tube needs some catching up to do.... :D

Sumi is awesome bro Kevin! You still putting clay/refresh?
    Post edited by gerry at 2013-10-22 11:38:45 pm
  • ashfaqashfaq October 2013
    Brother, your showa is awesome. I really like it, even though the tail tube is not up to the mark , i love it. (Y)
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Thanks sis @gerry and bro @ashfaq.

No I don't use clay anymore but I have 2 bricks in my bakki shower lol
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar October 2013
    Gud development bro. Bravo =D>
    Thanks bro TK. Do you all think she's egg laden?
  • ShukriShukri October 2013
    Bro Kevin,
    Really appreciate it that you have shared the development of the Sakuma Showa.

Many hobbyists like this Showa, and for learning purposes, change those that like this Showa, can you share the reasons why you guys & gals love about this Showa?

As an example, If I have said that I like that girl! The reasons could be that.......... she has gorgeous round eyes with very even eyelids and blue eyes......... Or wooow!!! 362436!!! Or she has really good skin, so smooth like silk, like snow white etc.

Waiting for your feedback guys.................... (Y)

In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Bro Shukri, they're just being nice to me lah :-)) But on a serious note, does she look like having eggs?
    Kevin,
    Surely a possibility for eggs......... To be sure 100% , I have to physically see and touch the koi.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Thanks bro Shukri :)
    Bro Kevin, don't simply touch touch tau.... :-))

Abg Shukri, ok la let me start:
    1. I like the unique sumi head pattern and also the overall sumi is jet black adding much contrast to the overall pattern.
    2. I think the beni pattern is quite tight and not messy... very pleasant 3-step.
    3. Motoguro present... although a little bit more would be nice.
    4. The shiroji is also quite good..
    5. Like I said in my previous post, only the tail tube is lacking...

;-)
    Sis Gerry,
    Like this la!!! Baru la clear................ (Y) :)
    (Y) Please hentam what is not good about the koi as well, so that I can learn and buy more muahahahahaha
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-10-23 12:57:38 pm
    Bro Shukri.... TQ TQ.. :-D

Bro Kevin... don't want to hentam and let you have all the fun buying new fishes while I can't!! Muahahahahahaha.... 8-)
    Brother @Shukri,

1st I like the head sumi pattern which is resembling like a dragon(Head Sumi pattern) trying to eat/fight with the other monster(shoulder sumi)

2nd The placement of sumi over the shiroji and beni pattern is clean and neat over her body

3rd She is fat :p which attract me a lot, my heart goes for fatty girls :)
    Thanks,
  • grinkz01grinkz01 October 2013
    bro kevin..pardon me ya.

luv: sumi placement especially on head area. overall pattern looks nice and neat with superb shiroji.

don't: head shape looks slim, not sure if it can grw jumbo and bulky. more shiroji on mouth area would be nicer. last is weak tailtube.

I think ( and i hope) she is having eggs now rather than pot belly
    thanks
    Bro ashfaq and grinkz01, really appreciate the inputs for me to learn more.

In the one year of koi keeping, I realized that there needs to be a balance. Feed too much, will result in pot bellies, stretched patterns, gulping etc etc. Kois from different farms will start to put on girth in different periods of their lives. Sumi starts to become really solid from nisai onwards.

Next step is to learn cosmetic surgery :)
  • smokersmoker October 2013
    bro Kevin, good keeping there really (Y)
    let me chip in too :)

The first that catch my eyes is the sumi. A very good jet black solid sumi, i love this kinda sumi.
    The skin is good, beni and sumi are well placed all along the body. I second bro Ming's idea on a more shiroji on head area would be lovely. :)

Like all bros and sis said, the concern is the tailtube.
    Thank you very much bro Wahyu. Again appreciate the inputs you've provided and will continue to work harder on future kois :)
    Brother @nivek, to be frank i see art in your nishikigoi. To me art is important then other criteria. Simple la
    Thanks,
    Haha thanks bro @ashfaq. Ok managed to bowl my Tancho, now at 65cm :)

koianswers.com/discussion/download/14241/tanchoweb.jpg
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-10-24 07:27:13 pm
    Attachments
    tanchoweb.jpg 181K
  • ThamCSThamCS October 2013
    Bro Nivek.. your Tancho looks great...how do you maintain the tancho roundness from tosai stage until now...do you feed any colour food or wheatgerm?
    Thanks bro @ThamCS. I only acquired her in 2012 in the 2nd pic from the left and since then, I've been feeding her a mixture of Saki's wheatgerm, balance and color.
  • koiBoykoiBoy October 2013
    (Y) Japanese flag in bro Kevin's pond!
  • grinkz01grinkz01 October 2013
    bro nivek ur tancho is perfect...i can say too perfect. not easy to maintain perfect circle shape from tosai till now. congratz. body also bulky and no beni / shimi as well.
  • smokersmoker October 2013
    Perfecto tancho.
    Start with good eyes, and go on with good keeping. (Y)
    bro Kevin, i think you can bulk her up abit more. :)
  • ChengAunChengAun October 2013
    That tancho :-j
    Very nice, snow white shiroji and close to perfect tancho spot.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Thanks for the comments everyone. There are 2 small shimis and 2 small beni that I'm planning to remove in the future :)
  • niveknivek November 2013
    Managed to get a shot of my Omosako Shiro today.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/14439/shiro-development2.jpg
  • KekwaKekwa November 2013
    Good grooming...your water quality must be superb. From yellow head to so white.
    Well done and beautiful Shiro!
  • smokersmoker November 2013
    Bro Kevin, have better picture for latest ?
    eager to see the body improvement. The sumi has become solid, Nice pattern.
  • kesokeso November 2013
    (Y) (Y) (Y)
    Thanks bros, will try to bowl her this weekend to get a better shot.
  • gerrygerry November 2013
    :-bd very nice bro Kevin.... mine still got long way to go... :D
    Thanks sis @gerry :)

Here's my chagoi's growth.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/14466/marusei-chagoi2.jpg
    Wah... the netting very nice and distinct le..... sui sui!! :D
  • lautslauts November 2013
    Bro Kevin,

good work on the chagoi. Really ugly duckling turning to swan now. I would not have chosen the chagoi at tosai 17cm. But Marusei / Seitaro chagois are something else. I have got a few to learn from and they will grow big with good conformation ,scalation and many shades of khaki green , dark green to grey. All sold except one , they will eat a lot and literally suck you dry with their friendliness.

ts
  • ShukriShukri November 2013
    Bro Kevin,
    Similar to Lauts, I too would not have bought this chagoi. Love the netting Bro...... which separate this chagoi from the others. This example simply shows that a long thin chagoi can be considered when choosing a Chagoi Tosai. Once this chagoi bulks........... you had it made Bro!!! Achieving Jumbo with this Chagoi is a given............. A noticeable hi bone structure is an indication that this chagoi will be huge in the future. A good acquisition Bro, and Chagoi hunters should tak not of this........ :-D
    Post edited by Shukri at 2013-11-08 11:50:17 am
    Thank you sis @gerry, bro @lauts and bro @Shukri. Very happy that the chagoi is turning out this way and yes, she is the friendliest of the lot and allows me to belly rub her :)
    Kevin,
    This is the kind of koi that we will cherish for a long time........
    Bro @smoker, here's another shot of the shiro. Sorry for the reflection from the pond, didn't bowl him.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14503/IMG_20131112_174111.jpg
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-11-12 06:20:18 pm
    Put this Shiro in the Show...........or sell to me........... :p
  • MfwleeMfwlee November 2013
    Stunning Shiro and something to want to dream about. Just a question.
    Does it get pinkish whenever stressed - eg water needs changing ? One of mine does, and is my convenient water change indicator !
    Mike Lee
  • KahhoeKahhoe November 2013
    Hahaha ... The Shiroji is soooo good for a male (Y)
    Rearing Nishikigoi are very interesting ... Just observe their development ... Everybody loves them =)
    Bro @Shukri - thank you for the kind comments but won't be selling/showing haha :)

Bro @Mfwlee - thank you very much and yes, he will turn a bit pinkish if I overfeed (which is quite often LOL)

Bro @Kahhoe - haha thanks. Same method as I told you :)

Here's a video of the gang taken just now. I've culled the local hi-utsuri and a male sanke. Added a tiny Tancho Sanke tosai.

• KahhoeKahhoe November 2013
    Fantastic !!! (Y) (Y) (Y)
    Rearing Nishikigoi are very interesting ... Just observe their development ... Everybody loves them =)
  • HDCuHDCu November 2013
    Nice. Thanks for sharing.
  • smokersmoker November 2013
    Bro Kevin, you are a nishikigoi enthusiast. (Y)
    Is it a he ?
    You don't disappoint this shiro, as in your hand, he can show his potency.
    What i can say is, well done Bro, good keeping there. (Y)
    Thanks for the encouragement bros. Really appreciate it :)
  • ChengAunChengAun November 2013
    From a bit of poisoning, quickly became the Penang sifu. ^:)^
  • idrisidris November 2013
    Bro..water look very good... (Y)
    Thanks @ChengAun to all the sifus here for the knowledge (Y)

Thanks bro @Idris :)
    Kondo Goshiki after 2 months, its now 45cm (grew 5cm), sumi on body has improved though those around the nose has lessen a bit. Beni has thicken as well.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14570/IMG_20131117_160557.jpg

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14585/IMG_20131117_231438.jpg
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-11-17 11:16:22 pm
    Awesome! :)
    Kevin,
    You need a chiller for Goshiki.........
    Thanks sis gerry and bro Shukri. Yes goshiki needs chiller however a few of us are having reasonable success with goshiki from Kondo farm. Sumi netting on the body does not appear to be weakening in our ponds even though there's no chiller but instead are increasing in intensity. However its only a few months so will need to wait awhile longer before it can be confirmed.
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-11-17 10:50:47 pm
    Let us know of the future development......... :-D
  • KChongKChong November 2013
    Hi Bro Kevin,

You have excellent grooming skill! I still remember seeing your Chagoi last February and now she is a beauty.

Besides, the shiroji of your shiro is excellent and if I were you, I will enter it in ZNA show.

Your goshiki is the most striking koi in your pond and I agree with you that some goshiki is doing well without chiller.

Keep up the good work and catch up with you when I will be in Penang.

Cheers.
  • pandaipandai November 2013
    I love the shiro...! Brutal looking shiro!!! \m/ From which breeder bro?

By the way, if there are Goshikis that can't thrive without chiller, that would mean I have wasted my investment on my new chiller??? Haha...!!! Anyway, still waiting for Sifu @Bthineshkumar to select me a superb goshiki like his... ;-)
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Thanks bro Kelvin. Couldn't have done it without all the sifus here and looking forward to catch up with you :)

Thanks again bro @pandai. The Shiro is from Omosako. As for the chiller, I'm planning to install one next year and don't worry about your Goshiki, as bro @Bthineshkumar is an expert in helping other people to spend money hahahaha
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-11-19 01:30:37 pm
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2013
    :-))

Where got sifu level, that Goshiki was my luck bro. Nobody picked it and I was on right time as well. The following day, bro Kelvin from Kuching already eying that piece :-))

And Kevin is right, I help poison more kichis to empty their pockets :-))
  • pandaipandai November 2013
    Bro TK, show la your goshiki here... want to see her development... or is it secret weapon ka??? :-"
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • KChongKChong November 2013
    Bro Pandai,

There is lots of other benefit with Chiller as shared by Bro Shrukri and all the sifus other than to groom a good goshiki.

I will have chiller if I can afford it one day but now will experiment with cooling tower first.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2013
    Not so secret weapon lah bro. Just too lazy to bowl the goshiki and now in heavy feeding mode, dont want to stress the koi.

I will try to bowl this weekend and update :)
  • niveknivek December 2013
    Another one of my recently acquired tosai tikam, Matsunoske Tancho Sanke after 1 month. I have already done a surgery on the tancho after the pic was taken and will post it up once it heals :)

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14766/IMG_20131211_182311.jpg
  • urbaneffectsurbaneffects December 2013
    Bro. this tancho s seems to have yellow head a month ago. Now, all clear up. Whats the secret? Your other fish looked great on their shiroji. Dont mind to share yr method??
    Post edited by urbaneffects at 2013-12-12 12:44:31 pm
    Bro @urbaneffects, thanks but I have no idea as to why sumi and shiroji seem to do well in my pond. Maybe the low tds?
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-12-12 10:33:34 pm
    What food do u use n yr feeding regime? Yr video shows low density in yr pond. This maybe the reason for the great growth of yr koi growth.
    Bro @urbaneffects, below is my feeding regime for my 12 fish in my 12 ton pond.

Feed a combination of 30% (color) + 30% (growth) + 40% (wheatgerm) ratio for a month on this and the following 2 months just 30% (growth) + 60% (wheatgerm) and keep repeating the cycle. I fast the koi one day in a week and at the end of the month, continuous fast for 3-4 days. All saki hikari food and feeding frequency is 3-4 times a day (about 500-600g/day - 3% of total bodyweight).

From Apr - Aug : Feed only once a day at 1% bodyweight and 100% wheatgerm only.
    Sep - Jan : bulking period - 3% at above ratio
    Feb - Mar : slowly reduce to 1%

Water parameters:
    Temp - 27 to 28 degrees
    No Salt
    No refresh
    TDS - around 45-50
    pH - around 7.2
    Daily 10% water trickle continuous 24/7
    Water turnover rate 3x/hr
    Lots of aeration from Hailea Hap 120 air pump

Filtration :
    Conventional 4 chamber + Bakki shower
    Total amount of bio rings - about 60kg
    Total amount of bio balls - about 20kg
    Jap mats and oyster shells
    2 red bricks in bakki shower
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-12-13 09:28:39 am
    Tq for such comprehensive info. Much to learn from u.
  • ChengAunChengAun December 2013
    Uncle Kevin @nivek , do you find that the bricks in the bakki shower do actually help to improve KH levels and therefore the fishes sumi in your pond?
    In this case, would it compromise the beni/red in the kohaku? But yr goshiki is superb.
    Bros, my pond dkH is only around 0 to 1 so don't think its dkH.
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-12-13 08:24:57 pm
    Bro. You have used wheatgerms quite extensively. Some local dealers claimed wheatgerms is for those living in 4 seasons. Therefore we should only stick closely to growth feed in the tropics.

I also have a fnend that uses wheatgerms quite a lot and I can see that his koi bulked a lot. Do you think that wheatgerms is actually easier to digest and causes good result in terms of growth and made our koi bulked?
    Bro urbaneffects, I feed wg extensively because its cheaper and easier on my pocket lol. WG do contain about 35% protein which will promote growth as well although not as quickly as the hi growth food. However feeding hi growth food continuously is not good for the kois and will lead to all sorts of issues.
    Do u think WG have contributed to your koi bulking up? You have achieved tremendous growth by looking at your past pics and video.
    I think its the amount of feed which helped in the growth. Below is another one of my kois that have grown in length but not in girth. Maybe she still has not reached the girth age yet.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/14782/IMG_20131217_113653.jpg
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-12-17 11:39:09 am
    Male?
    Female
  • ckleecklee December 2013
    u touch her bottom part already?? >:-)
    Haha no need to touch. Whole thing sticking out. Visible to naked eyes lol
    Post edited by nivek at 2013-12-17 04:52:24 pm
  • ckleecklee December 2013
    :-D :-D :-D :-)) :-)) :-)) (Y) (Y) (Y)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership