Bottom Drain reinforced with pump.
  • appendeeqsappendeeqs October 2012
    Hello to all brothers and sisters,

been wondering about this thing as currently Im designing my future pond renovation, if gravity based bottom drain were to be reinforced with pumps, will it makes filtration better? as the flow of water is being increased by the help of pump on the BD, and the pumps at the end of the filtration chambers.. Have anyone done this? Thanks
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    Bro appendeeqs,

The problem of your proposal is that koi poo that gets suck by the bottom drain will be shredded by the pump and be forced through the filter instead of allowing it to settle or get trapped by brush, seive or matts.
    Bro HDCu,

Thanks for responding.. is there any pump that just pump water without affecting the waters itself? is it why pump fed system cannot be as effective as gravity BD system?
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    With pump fed it is more advisable to use fine filter media to capture the fines that may or may not easily settle in the chamber. With fine filters there is a need of regular cleaning of flushing.

Pump fed can be effective as well. The bead filter is good example that is pump fed and connected to bottom drain
    Now i understand roughly the difference... no wonder my pump fed system usually need more frequent maintenance...:/ Thank you bro HDCu for the input.. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership