How to DIY venturi effect?
  • andysiaandysia October 2012
    Just wondering any sifu here knows how to DIY venturi effect at water return outlet from pump? I saw some DIY through Youtube but instruction not clear. I like that serene type of water flow with bubble ...

Thanks in advance.
  • ZackZack October 2012
    Guess before you embark on using Venturi, do consider below is this forum page. Need some clarification as to whether this would be harmful or not. 

"We are always told a venturi dissolves OXYGEN into water. This is not entirely true. The atmosphere is around 80% nitrogen, 18 - 19% oxygen and 1 - 2% other minor gasses. A venturi pushes air into the water under pressure - not only oxygen.

High levels of nitrogen don't agree with koi or other fish for that matter. Better to de-gas the water under pressure by placing the venturi's pointing towards the surface or as in Pieter’s pictures out of the water pointing into the pond. If you have a water fall / and or stream you could run your venturies into the water fall or stream. This adds a great deal of air and balance the pressure of the gasses.
    Trickle filters are great at oxygenating the water and filtering it.
    My kois are my lover
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    The problem of using a DIY venturi is that the bubble that are released are not really that fine so as to create enough surface area of air/oxygen to contact with water as compared to an airstone or to a air hose diffuser. The second problem of underwater venturi is that the flow rate of the water coming out of the pump gets affected thereby lowering your turnover rate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership