• IzrulIzrul October 2012
    Sometimes my koi in FGT will hide or lepak ramai2 at one place.in my case behind the pump...is this behaviour normal?or scared?
    Feeding time they will be active and swimming all around.
    Then after that they will lepak ramai2 again behind pump.not to mention swimming in fast and furious mode.
  • adleeadlee October 2012
    its because they are not use the new environment bro izrul...
    give them sometimes.. if ure free the during feeding time try to stay put. stay with them while they are feeding.. later when they get used to u then u will enjoy "bertapa" next to them :)..

owh.. if possible try to throw one pellet at a time. its a way to show them its u the one who provide them with food :) good luck!!!
    Tq bro...bro Tk also mention thesame... :-D
  • nocturnalnocturnal October 2012
    try to get a chagoi/soragoi/karashi to act as pack leader, this will help to calm them down.

hope this helps :)
  • niveknivek October 2012
    After some time in their new environment they will start to give you the "Oik! Mana makan?!" look and follow you round the fgt :)
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar October 2012
    Hi Bro,

You have to wait for the filtration to mature before start feeding. You can try nitrifying bacteria or other similar products to kick start faster. Meantime, please increase your salinity to 0.5% to calm the fish and take care the Nitrite. Based on your tank size, the water should be 600 liter. So 0.5% is 3 kg, please put in 1 kg at one time at interval of minimum 3 hours. Don't change water for 1 or two days. Gud luck and all the best bro :-D
    Tq guys...the water so cloudy this morning and there were splash of water,signs of jumping fish i think.
    So i took em out,change 50% of water,add salt bout 2.5 kg...
    Just finish the task since morning and need to head down to office rite now.
    Also made a diy cover to further calm them down using orchid net and pvc pipes as joints.
    Tawakal je lah pegi keje

Please dont die dudes [-O< [-O< [-O<
    Bro Izrul, You took out the Koi???!!! It would further stress the koi. Not necessary to take them out. Just drain the water and add in new water. Make sure the new water is free of anti chlorine

Gud luck
    free of anti chlorine?u mean just simply add the tap water straight into tank without anti chlorine?
    I think bro TK meant free of chlorine :)
  • ZackZack October 2012
    Usage of salt as a remedy for koi stress, built up the slime coating and so on but recently I saw an article that says if prolong usage of salt on our kois, it will have an adverse effect of producing virus or bad bacteria that mutate or becomes resistance to salt. This is the worrying point.
    My kois are my lover
    Agree Bro Zack, Salt should not be used for too long as the bac would be immune to it
    tq for all feedback bro adlee,TK,Kevin,bro adik and zack..
    hope all will turn well.planning to fast them for a week,then add a chagoi or karashi as told by bro adik.indeed they were leaders...or taiko :-D
    will put biozyme enhancer this evening
  • ashfaqashfaq October 2012
    I have 3 nos of 50-60Cm kois in FGT tank of 1.3 tonne capacity, they where hiding all the time under the plywood which is kept. Yesterday i tried feeding them 1 pellet by pellet To my amaze since today morning they arent hiding and they started coming in front with out any fear. Credit goes to brother @adlee for the tip, as i didnt spend time with them before to tame for hand feed. I hope this goes well
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    that means u kept 1 leader fish bro ashfaq?
    No leader fish brother, they are 2 Sanke and 1 Kohaku
    Thanks,
  • ZackZack October 2012
    Last time I kept a few kois of about 15cm & the dealer recommended me to buy at least 1 leader when I get back to him that my kois are hiding. After getting one, it still doesnt work as each time feeding, the leader goes & gulp the pellet & goes back to hiding with the rest like a scare mouse. Next he suggested fasting for 5 days but after the fasting period is over, it is stiil the same when each one just snap the pellet & hide. I cordon off their hiding spot but still they cluttered together in a behaviour of scared being net out of the water.
    After I bought a couple of bigger size koi of abt >40cm, situation is better & the smaller ones are swimming along with the big one. It looks like smaller kois have sense of security issue. One thing I observed is I cannot make myself presence out if a sudden as kois especially the smaller ones get startled due to my movement. Later the bigger ones follows too being scared each time the little one does got scared but no hiding takes place as the bigger ones get calm much faster than the smaller ones. When I observed this happened on each feeding, I decided to give away the smaller kois. To my surprise, no more startling or each time my presence is detected by the kois.
    My kois are my lover
    Brother Zack, bad la, you should have tried experimenting with the small ones and tame them to take food :) , giving them will not be the solution to learn how to tame tosais.
    Thanks,
    After salting and 1 day fasting,now they are better..swimming around and come to surface for food.
    Ill starve them for 1 week i think to tame em
  • adleeadlee October 2012
    good to hear that bro @ashfaq. im just sharing my experience on how to tame our beloved kois :) but sometimes when u introduce new koi or u disturb the pond ie. use fishnet inside the pond they can become scared again :).

so the best way feed them one pellet at a time. show them whose the boss :)
  • aiman_shawalaiman_shawal October 2012
    same problem before, all the other koi's are hiding and shy eaters... Got a chagoi and they are following it around like their mothers (ekor hahah). got a karashigoi and they are freely swimming around not being scared...

In my case, the chagoi is the one to be fastest wanting to be hand fed. Natural leader koi 8-)
  • gerrygerry October 2012
    Hmmm... I think u need to stay around the pond when feeding time so the kois will associate you with food. :) For me, all my kois like refugees... All the time following me around the pond asking for food no matter how much I feed them. Haha.....

Sometimes they swim into my net also... By accident that is... ;)
  • ShukriShukri October 2012
    Wah sis Gerry,
    Ini ilmu pukau niiiii! :-)) :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • aiman_shawalaiman_shawal October 2012
    HAHAH, sis gerry use therapist style, hypnotism on koi's haha...
    Hehehe... Come come I teach... >:-)

Hahaha... No la... While they're rushing to ask for food, tak nampak my net lor... ;)
  • ShukriShukri October 2012
    Hi Gerry,
    Possibly you can cull 2 or 3 of your kois and get new pieces, or even better.....you can participate in the upcoming GOs.......... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    I wish... But Sayang la... Takkan wanna give away my babies??? :(
  • farikfarik October 2012
    Sis gerry,
    your garden has still plenty of room for say....fgt,intex pond...better still 2nd pond!!!! Then you will have plenty of room and don't need to give away your babies.....
    Bro Farik, if it was "my" garden, then boleh la... :)

Now, proposal has been sent in to renovate current pond, but still in KIV folder... :-D
    Got myself a tikam ochiba today...now they're more relax... :-D
    Plus 1 sanke :-D
  • farikfarik October 2012
    wow bro izrul... ada berapa dah??? he,he...itchy hands bro....you can train the orchiba to handfeed...pelan2 train....mesti syiok!!!!lagi geram....
    Hehe baru ada 8 bro...tosai semua..FGT jek....ikan lg lebih harga dari tank :-)) :-))
    Rumah siap nanti bru leh wat kolam bro :-D
    Now practising what i learned from here.mcm salting la,mula2 x pcaya,risau pun ada nak taruk 3-4 kg masuk..but it works and do magical...theyve calmed down
    Bro Izrul, how are the kois doing after the latest 2 addition?
    getting better since they are on quarantine,no feeding plus salting,added biozyme..
    no ochiba took charge..now all koi are swimming on surface and asking for food..
    my son loves them as he can touch them.he called koi (ikan cium cium)
    since koi will suck his hand asking for food :-D
    *now ochiba took charge
    haha good stuff :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership