Temporary Tank To Keep Kois During Pond Fix
  • khongkhong October 2012
    Hi All,

I plan to fix my pond http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/1826/is-fiberglass-bonds-well-with-glass-/#Item_6.
    Hence I need to keep my kois away from the pond for 2 to 3 week time. Below are the size of my kois.

1 piece of approximately 70cm
    4 pieces of 50+cm
    3 pieces of 40+cm
    3 pieces of 20+cm

As I have no experience in keeping the fish outside the pond, I would like to ask the following questions:

(1) Is a 8 feet tank (2feet + in depth) big enough to host all the koi? (Actually I am thinking of getting those 8 feet inflatable pool as a temporary storage space)
    (2) Is it sufficient just to use an AIR pump WITHOUT filter box? (I have a spare unit of 120liter / hour air pump)
    (3) Is it necessary to salt the water in the temporary tank?

All advice and suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thank you
  • HDCuHDCu October 2012
    1. inflatable pool is Ok but you need to put a net on top.
    2. I would advise that you put a filter box and an airpump. You can trasfer some of your old media to speed up the cycle. You need to also change at least 10 to 15 percent of water per day.
    3. Yes. The salt will build up new slime and protect the gills of the koi from the ammonia and nitrite spike during the transfer. Test water parameters after transfer. Do not feed the kois three to five days before and three days after transfer. If possible put some zeolite and have some API ammolock in hand..

Above are based on my experience.
  • khongkhong October 2012
    Bro HDCu,

Thanks a lor for your advice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership