Badly bruised Shusui...looks like no hope :(
  • kolampkolamp August 2012
    Hi all & not too late to wish Selamat hari raya Aidilfitri...

I'm new to this koi keeping & need your kind help & guidance for my badly bruised shusui...story like this, on recent raya holidays, came back from home town & saw my house was dark & quiet & stinking smell everywhere... found out the whole house was trip...switch on the ELCB back & thought the whole pond was goner :(.....but surprisingly I saw a shusui staying quietly & still alive! pull out all the carcass & clean the pond & did major water change and salted the pond 0.3%....

few days later, the shusui was swimming normally & I decided to get a companion for her....went out to buy a kohaku & showa but when I arrive at my house, I saw the shusui was laying flat on my car porch full of ants! I dunno how long its been there & sadly pick up the badly bruised fish....then, I noticed the mouth moves a bit & I quickly return it into the pond and after few minutes, the fish is swimming again! I quarantine the fish but the health became worst...the skin shredded & most of the fins rots & looks like dying....fear the worst is coming & with my limited knowledge, I released back the fish into main pond few days ago & now she's swimming OK with the new companions...

So now, my q's is:
    1. should I catch back the fish and treat it in QT?
    2. What exactly medication should I use to treat this koi?
    3. is there any possibilities that the wound can get infected & affect other fishes?
    4. Is Kenkona suitable to treat this kind of cases?
    5. If I put the companion together in QT, will the medication affect the healthy koi?

Sorry too long stories for you guys to read just hoping that opinions & advise from this helpful forum will save my lovely shusui

I'll try to get some pics this weekend if she's still alive :)

Thank you very much
  • ShukriShukri August 2012
    Kolamp,
    Welcome to the Koianswers Forum.
    Incidents similar happen from time to time in this Hobby. Rather sad situation but a reality.

A picture and/or a video of the Sushui will help us to access the koi state of health. The fish is already stressed to the maximum as it is......so I believe you put her in the QT tank and observe. A not so strong medication like S1 will be OK I guess to soak the koi in for 3 to 5 days.......Right now is not to unnecessarily introduce more stress with potent medication.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau August 2012
    Bro kolamp,

Welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have the same fear whenever nobody around at home during long holiday.

Your lovely shusui has gone thru an experience whereby the Oxy level was very low, the tragic death of his/her friends and major outbrake of bacteria in inaerobic situation. Even Nitrate has lost the Oxy which has turned back to Nitrite. With this situation, he/she is very stressfull. With this situation and high stress level with very low immune system, anything can affect the koi from parasite, bacteria, fungus and from fit rot to Bacteria Gill Disease.

If I am in your situation, i will first reduce the koi stress level and by doing this, hopefully it will regain strength and rebuild the imune system for a recovery. Provide the best water. If the pond has not settle down nicely, place it in the QT and provide as much aeration as possible.

The shusui has jumped out from the pond maybe due to water para which has not come back to norm or sudden big water changed and cleaning up has change the water para drasticly. The koi maybe is too weak right now to recover from anything. Medication might induce more stress. Low salt level between 0.1 to 0.25 will help to reduce the stress level. I will give best water and aeratio for one or two days hoping that some disease will dissapear with better strenght and immunity. Only after that I will treat the koi for the remaining problem left. This is just my personal opinion.

But be prepare for worst case scenario. Good luck to you and your shusui.

Regards
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur August 2012
    Bro Kolamp,

If ur shuhui swim ok, no sign of stress or sick. Let it be in the pond. Just observe if any unusual behaviour. This shusui is one very stronger kois, 2 times near dead experience is something
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • kolampkolamp September 2012
    Thank you very much for your kind reply sifu Shukri, ikankoikau & harry_luhur... appreciate it very2 much...

Currently the fish is in QT treated with S1...it really a sad looking her like this but she's still swimming strong even though can see flesh on her body and no tails...though it's still small & doesn't cost much but seeing her still swimming & trying to stay alive makes me really want to try to help her to live...

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb94/esthapo/20120831_122442.jpg[/IMG]
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur September 2012
    Bro Kolamp,

When i hear badly bruished, i never imagine even loss tail. I thought just scratches.
    This need to be treat, and need a good water to ensure it recovery. But this is strong koi and hope this shusui can make it
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
    Thank you for your kind words bro harry_luhur but unfortunately this shusui passed away yesterday after 2 weeks of bad ordeal....her skin was fully shed probably bcoz too long outside the water I guess...
  • ShukriShukri September 2012
    Bro kolamp,
    I am sure you will find a worthy replacement........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • J73J73 September 2012
    Good it ended its suffering!!!
    Thank you very much sifu Shukri & J73....I wish I can end it earlier but seeing her determination to live thats y I'm saving her....but bad its beyond my capabilities to handle her so I wish October shipment would be worth the wait LOL :p
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur September 2012
    Sorry to hear the loss Bro Kolamp. Hope you find the replacement soon
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • IzrulIzrul November 2012
    Just bumped into this thread,but quite sad that im gonna sob a lil..
    Reading how hard that shusui trying to live from disastrous and series of unfortunate events makes our love to these god's creation stronger. :)
  • kolampkolamp November 2012
    It is sad to see it like that but killing it is not my option...luckily it ends the suffering calmly but good news is, can go out look out for replacement \:D/
  • ShukriShukri November 2012
    Yup kolamp, get a replacement.......
    Sifu Shukri, really wanted to go for koi hunting today but not dare to risk HM giving birth at koi shop LOL :-))
    (Y) :-D
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2012
    :-)) :-)) :-))
    Hi Bro Kolamp, an expecting father huh? Make sure u have ur back pack prepared for necessary items to the hospital, not to the koi farm :p
  • pandaipandai November 2012
    And also have an Emergency Response Plan on how the koi pond will survive in your absence while you're attending to the HM at the hospital... :-D

p/s: but of course don't tell HM that... [-X
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Bro TK & pandai,
    this is all coming based on experience huh? lol....my neighbour will keep an eye on my pond & hopefully everything gonna be normal & smooth so I can come back home early....I mean come back to my koi early :-))
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar November 2012
    :-)) :-))

Yes bro. Luckily when I start this hobby this year, HM already delivered. If not, I'm not surprised if I'm in koi farm when HM has labor pain :-))
    I wonder if they can produce cert if my son was born there :-)) :-))
  • IzrulIzrul November 2012
    :-)) :-)) :-))
    Must be one true kichiif born at dealers place bro kolamp :-D
    Bro Kolamp,
    If yes, definitely the Doitsu variety....... :-)) :-D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership