How to calculate actual 10% water change via water drip
  • jamiltjamilt August 2012
    Sifus n Bros,

One sifu commented in another thread that 24 hour 10% water drip volume with overflow and actually lowering 10% water level and filling the pond with 10% new water volume is totally different thing.

Can anybody help with the formula to calculate the percentage of incoming water drip volume that we should turn on as such it will be equivalent to topping up with 10% volume of new water. if its possible.
    Post edited by jamilt at 2012-08-27 09:49:02 am
  • HDCuHDCu August 2012
    If for example your total pond system is 24 tons including filter area. 10 percent is 2400 liters a day. So in an hour you should replace 100 liters. In a minute, your incoming flow is like 1.66 liters or 1.66 kg of fresh water a minute. You can take a stopwatch and time your incoming water drip.

Now how does one determine your percentage of water change should be? My trick is to use a TDS meter. I get the TDS of incoming water. Lets say its 60 plus minus 5ppm. I then set my range of difference between incoming and pond water. Lets say at around 80 plus minus 5 ppm for a difference of just 20 ppm which will most likely include nitrates, phosphates and some DOC and the socalled growth inhibiting hormone. If lets say you are doing just 5 percent water change a day and you have a hard time maintaining your target of 80ppm then increase water change percentage. You will notice that by setting a base monitoring system, you can adjust your water change rate depending on stocking level and feed rate. This way your water parameters will be more consistent.

• lautslauts August 2012
    Bro HDCu,

maybe good to start another thread on this. On how much water change is sufficient based on TDS. I am following this , also bro YYSim i think and maybe few others. I am keepin my TDS at not more than 90 from base source water of abt 40. I change abt 10-15% once weekly, yesterday i did abt 20% change as my TDS was at 92. After waterchange TDS was 77. Not ideal but works into my schedule. Understanding the impact on TDS by other chemical like antichlorine , bentonite clay , salt etc is very important when using this TDS method.

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2012-08-27 10:29:35 am
    Bro hdcu,
    Tq so much for the helpful info n method. I will get tds meter asap. Whats the ideal tds reading? I am new at this.
  • HDCuHDCu August 2012
    Bro Jamilt,

Different TDS reading would give you different results. As a rule, soft water have very low TDS and would be good for growth and soft skin. Try experimenting at different TDS from 100 ppm to as low as possible you can achieve and note if their is a difference in water quality, skin quality, growth, fish activity, etc.
    tq bro will do.
  • wyinwyin August 2012
    Hi,

I am using water meters to measure the exact amount of water change and drip. The meters are installed at the water inlets of the pond.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/9028/water meter.jpg
    bro wyin, what is your percentage target of water change per day and what is the percentage of water drip volume as opposed to your pond water volume u allow in to your pond within 24 hours?
  • mangkellmangkell August 2012
    Bro Wyin,

Welcome to KoiAnswers... :-D

A very clever idea indeed...
    Exact measurement is needed when the daily drip approaching 8ton. L-)

Which model is better, blue or grey one.? Tq
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
  • ShukriShukri September 2012
    Bro Wyin,
    Very ingenious indeed. But I wonder where can we get such meters? Are these meters not regulated? And what's the price?
    Also, I am just curious how are we supposed to read the meter?

I am just an ignorant guy when come to all these........ :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-09-01 03:11:32 pm
  • wyinwyin September 2012
    bro Jamilt,
    I drained 2 inches of pond water every morning and use the next 12 hours to top it up. Total about 3% water change everyday.

bro Mangkell,
    both meters work the same way, just one made of copper and the other made of plastic. I just used different colour code to differentiate water coming from my reserve tank and water directly from Syabas.

bro Shukri,
    I bought those meters from a Syabas contractor working at the site nearby for about hundred plus each. It works just like your car odometer, instead of mileage, it records water flow through the meter in liters. I will record the readings before and after the water top up to get the net volume of water used.
  • ShukriShukri September 2012
    Thanks for the feedback Bro wyin........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership