ammonia 0, NO2 0, NO3 0, is this possible..
  • idrisidris July 2012
    Hi all,

As per bro harry request, I open a new thread for this sole purposed. My pond parameter is as below:
    Ammonia 0
    NO2 0
    NO3 0

Many people say this is impossible because when NO3 is 0, it is like virgin water. I spotted this changes about a week ago where before that my NO3 maintain at 5...

Bro harry, below the data that you required:

Test kit: API
    SOP(standard operation procedure):
    1. Fill up test cylinder
    2. Fill in 8 drop of 1st standard solution
    3. Shake the test cylinder
    4. Shake 30 second 2nd standard solution
    5. Fill in 8 drops 2nd standard solution.
    6. Shake the cylinder bottle for 60sec and wait 5 min to check the result

Pond size: 18ton
    Koi stock 1 week ago- 25kois
    Koi stock 3 days ago 10kois

Feeding frequency:
    25koi 2 times a day, each time 250gram (hikari growth, colour and gosanke koi food pallets)
    10kois 2 times a day, each time 100gram(food brand same as above)

Pond system
    1. Up and down system
    2. 1st chamber DIY sieve and brush
    3, Jap mat
    4. Jap mat + aqua clay
    5. Pump chamber( oyster shell, UV)
    6. 2 bottom drain in the main pond, each are 4inch connected to first chamber
    7. 3 surface skimmer( 2 connect to first chamber. 1 direct to public drain

Medicine:
    For maintenance: kenkona
    Food supplement: captain borman life microb
    Enhancer: captain borman bacteria product..

Hope I gave sufficient data.
    Post edited by idris at 2012-07-16 11:42:06 am
  • HDCuHDCu July 2012
    Hi Bro Idris,

Do you still have algae growing on pond surface? If so what is the color? At Zero nitrate,your pond wall should be free from algae.

I still prefer a little reading of 5 to 10 ppm during normal feeding and 10 to 20 ppm for heavy feeding because I am assured that I still have a healthy population of nitrobacter in the filters.

I surmised your use of life microbe and bacteria product may have something to do with it. Could it be that instead of nitrobacter, you have some bactera strains in water itself that is actively converting nitrate to nitrogen.

Although, I would prefer that you have your water test more professionally and wait for at least another month when more nitrobacter bacteria grows.
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-07-16 11:42:59 am
  • idrisidris July 2012
    Hi bro HDCU. Tq for your suggestion. My water is crystal clear right now. Normal algae at pond wall color is greenish..Yes when I have time I will call up professional water tester to test it.
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro Idris,
    Thanks for the update. Would love to get a second opinion i.e. the test lab results.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • lautslauts July 2012
    I suppose the tester all still valid? Zero nitrate , holy grail of koi hobbyist . @-) @-) NO need for water change already , help in times of our water rationing now =D> =D>

ts
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur July 2012
    Bro Idris,
    Please recheck using other tester before use professional water tester. From you testing with 2 solution only is quite buggling me. Normally sera & tetra with 2 solution is for nitrite tester. For nitrate tester, they have 3 solution and 1 powder form. Please test using another brand testkit first.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    There was one time I had zero ammonia, NO2 and NO3. And I noticed the algae at the walls started to reduce (feeding with Vivakoi). Now Nitrate 5 to 10 ppm after my vacation and algae started to appear.
    Just started Vivakoi again. Hope to see results soon

Rgds,
    TK
  • idrisidris July 2012
    bro harry..wil find sera tester for this purposed...

bro laut...same like you, I also quite confuse..hahahahah...
  • MikeMike July 2012
    Bro Idris, 0 Nitrate @-)
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro IKK,
    If indeed the reading for NO3 is 0 or almost 0, there has to be an explanation. I am really curious.........Someone told me before that there are bacteria that can convert nitrates back into nitrites, and this become a vicious cycle. If this is not the case here, is it possible that these bacteria convert NO3 into N2 and some other stuff......... @-) :-??
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ikankoikauikankoikau July 2012
    Sorry bro, just read about this thread. The bacteria I have given to bro Idris has 2 types. One is for denitration and the other one I called it for "clarity".

Denitration is strong bacteria that act instantly upon activation. Not like normal nitrosomonas and nitrobacteria which takes time to culturise and needs "food" to multiple. The food is of course Ammonia and Nitrite. So this bacteria work faster which is ideal for new pond. It will not take over those two good nitro bacteria but working along. In other words, if a pond is lacking of denitrification bacteria, these bacteria can back up instantly. But what is really good, these bacteria will fight againt bad bacteria for food which eventually overcome or dominate the bad bacteria colony.

The end result of these bacteria is still mostly Nitrate. Certain percentage of Ammonia and Nitrite will be converted to Nitrogen, Oxy, CO2 and some other form which is ham less to koi.

The other bacteria(Clarity) is the one I had long discussion with Bio Tech expert. I was trying to make them understand what do we need in this hobby. It's different from normal aquaculture. Beside Ammonia and Nitrite, we want to have clear water by having less organic waste, less suspended waste, lower TDS and less NITRATE which sometimes can cause algea bloom, too rich water and can restrict growth. To reduce all this, water change is the only easy solution. Plant will have to be in big serface area to be effective to reduce nitrate. After much brainstorming, I told them my few wishes,
    1) To clear Nitrate into something harmless
    2) to reduce organic waste into something harmless or useful
    3) Also to reduce Ammonia and Nitrite by NOT converting it to Nitrate but to something else.

So they have come out with the "Clarity" bacteria. It "consume" organic waste. It degas and/or convert Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate into mainly Nitrogen, Oxygen and CO2.

At this moment, I am still testing if. For things like this(we can't see), it will take sometimes to be sure of the result as per claimed. Even Kenkona Koi took me almost 2 years before I dare enough to make known to general hobbyist. That too with the help and encouragement from many close hobbyist. What I am looking for is the consistency of the result. Maybe in a month, it will be fully ready subject to the test result and hobbyist interest.

Regards
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2012-07-16 11:52:35 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro Borman,
    Probably that you are not consciously aware, that you have actually contributed a lot towards the betterment of this Koi Keeping Hobby. Your unselfishness should be a role model to the others. I salute you my friend........ ^:)^ =D> (Y)
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-16 11:05:19 pm
    I agree with Bro Shukri,
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • ikankoikauikankoikau July 2012
    Thanks bro Shukri and bro Harry for the soothing words. It's what a kichi do. Nothing much actually. ;-)
  • DanleeDanlee July 2012
    I second... =D> =D> (Y) (Y) ^:)^ ^:)^
    I start keeping fighting betta and other small fishes during my childhood, this hobby coming and on and off, but i totally stop during junior high. Earlier senior high years, i start keeping fish again,but this time is different, every goldfish i bought will last only for 1 week, keep buying and upgrade filter, adding a, b c, d stuff without result. Finally i turn to mountain water and it works. It tickle me, why so difficult, just to keep this fish alive.

Until finally, my friend introduce me to a taiwanese who keep and breed discus, and he say if you want to success keep fish, then have to start with the hardest and delicate fish. But after a while i wasn't getting better, worst than before. So i start bough fish book, amazon was my source to buy, kinokuniya also favorite place that never missed everytime goto Singapore.

Then i started to browse internet, that time internet is exclusive especially in here and the speed is nothing like today. But the more i learn is more confused i got, but many friends until we finally form a local club. What our first interest, is doing a test of spesific subject on every members fish and system, and in here what i learn a lot. From the basic fishes keeping until water treatment.

Until i finished college, worked a couple company until finally decided to jump into fish business totally. Start importing fishes, open shop, and start fixing problem on cust aquaria system. Got a lot of lesson here and there, and here i am today.

I learn a lot in club, we try a lot and different place and different water parameter, summarize and analyze the result. It also why i like to experiment ever since. I hope, in the future we can have the same excitement of doing group experiment

Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • harrharr August 2012
    Any news about "clarity" test?
  • idrisidris August 2012
    Clarity?? Or quality??
  • harrharr August 2012

The other bacteria(Clarity) is the one I had long discussion with Bio Tech expert.

At this moment, I am still testing......... <--so?
  • idrisidris August 2012
    oho...sorry bro..this need bro captain to answer...
    Post edited by idris at 2012-08-15 10:02:26 pm
  • tswerntswern November 2012
    Hope there are some good news on this "Clarity" bacteria :D
  • ikankoikauikankoikau November 2012
    Forgot about this thread already. Didnt realise I got inquiry to answer.I will get back to this topic after my Line Proficiency Check. Maybe lengthy explanation needed. Thanks bro for reminding this topic.

Regards

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership