KEEPING BONSAI KOIS IN CONDOMINIUMS
  • Shinkokai+MalaysiaShinkokai Malaysia November 2010
    Dear Koi Kichis,

We'd like to share a video taken by a koi kichi who is rearing kois in the balcony of his condominium. SHINKOKAI MALAYSIA aims to bring more awareness to hobbyists and hopes to encourage more hobbyists of differing living areas. The practice of keeping beautiful bonsai koi is not new and in fact is very widely practised in Japan where their homes are much smaller than ours and land is very expensive.

This shows that one does not need to have a very big space to be koi lover as well. Even in terraced houses and high rise living, one can still beautify their homes with such nice arrangements and enjoy cheaper kois, less money spent on food, less water changes and less filter maintenance.

The kois are not fed high protein food to maintain their sizes and fed very little so as not to foul the water. In tight spaces, naturally, the kois will not grow overly big and this could be a new past time to be explored by hobbyists who would otherwise be keeping gold fishes, marine fishes or river fishes in their homes.

please enjoy the video below posted by a Koi kichi who has a beautiful set-up in his condominium.

Happy Koi Keeping

SHINKOKAI MALAYSIA

• ShukriShukri November 2010
    Bro, thank you so much for sharing with us that even living up in the sky, one can enjoy koi keeping. One question though, how much is the cost of the tank that you have shown in the video?

In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN November 2010
    Wah Bros, if Tan Sri see this he'll LOVE it... ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
  • Dr_RahimDr_Rahim November 2010
    Bro Tan Sri, what's your comment???
    Regards,
    Dr_Rahim ( Dr.Peter )
    Tan Sri is very quiet leh! Still remembering the bedminton scenes in Vietnam, the photos he didnt share...........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • etanoetano November 2010
    Tan Sri is on the way to Singapore for koi hunting because in KL, all the nice koi is already sapu by father & son team even before they touch the ground. :-D
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • farikfarik November 2010
    Brudders,
    Is there a difference in the genes of bonsai kois compared to normal kois? or just feed it less so that it won't grow?
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN November 2010
    Bro Farik,

I don't think there's any difference in Genes or Blood Line, it's the Limitations that make them Bonsai.
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
    Bro zain,
    Then someone should come out with a genetically modified species that has bright colours but cannot grow big... looking at the video...the kois perut very bulat one...in no time outgrow the tank....(grin)
    <blockquote rel="farik">Bro zain,
    Then someone should come out with a genetically modified species that has bright colours but cannot grow big... looking at the video...the kois perut very bulat one...in no time outgrow the tank....(grin)</blockquote>
    Yeah, I saw at least 3 pieces with helicopter body......these need to be culled I believe. Else, the tank and set up is really nice.
  • bibikoibibikoi November 2010
    <blockquote rel="Shukri">Bro, thank you so much for sharing with us that even living up in the sky, one can enjoy koi keeping. One question though, how much is the cost of the tank that you have shown in the video?

</blockquote>

Bro Shukri,

I'm not sure how much or where or whom sells a set up like this. I've actually invited the hobbyist who posted that video up to tell us here. Hopefully he does and we're also encouraging the Shinkokai Malaysia Supporting Dealers to provide such infrastructure to bring more hobbyists into this hobby. They gotta think of this as the 'blue ocean strategy' of koi keeping.

I'm sure we can get more koi kichis into this hobby if its able to blend and suit their lifestyle. :)

I second you Bro Sam. Koi should not only be limited to a pond........
  • bibikoibibikoi November 2010
    <blockquote rel="farik">Bro zain,
    Then someone should come out with a genetically modified species that has bright colours but cannot grow big... looking at the video...the kois perut very bulat one...in no time outgrow the tank....(grin)</blockquote>

Bro Farik,

there actually is a breeder in Japan who has created 'Chibi Nishiki' and is aiming just for this exact market. For bonsai kois to remain small and to be kept in aquariums. Hopefully one of the Malaysian Dealers will start bringing these in and we'll see a bigger influx of koi hobbyists who live in high-rise residences.

Then there are already kois in each spawning which are not destined to grow big. The japanese really feed them very little, just like how you'd feed goldfish or river fish, and no high protein. Just wheatgerm or a little colour to maintain their beauty and overall health but controlled growth so as not to have the 'pot-belly'

thanks
    Sam
  • san2278san2278 November 2010
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for the comments on my tank. In regards to the manufacturers, there are 2 people I know who can do set-ups like this. The guy I chose cost me RM7,000 whilst the other guy wanted to charge RM 4,000.

Company A - RM 7,000. Very professional as they came over to my place twice for measurements. Then proceeded to present me with 3 different computer-generated illustration drafts of tank designs until I found one that I liked. Also, used Nyatoh wood finishing which I liked very much. After-sales service was also very good, as I had issues initially with the water spout being too high up thus creating too much splash. They re-did the entire filter box (lowered the spout and created 2 separate chambers as opposed to one initially) at no additional charge. Warranty provided for 1 year where anything can be replaced/fixed for free (spotlight transformer fused and was changed within 2 days).

Company B - RM 4,000. Did not want to come to my place to do measurements, he wanted me to provide for him, as well as give him my own design ideas/illustrations. Also, he wanted to use Balau wood finishing, which is okay, but wasn't my preference. No mention of any warranty, but then again I did not ask. Overall, much cheaper and I would recommend to anyone that knows exactly what he wants and has no issues with doing own measurements and designs. I did not want to take any chances so passed on him.

I'm not in the business of giving away free advertising, so for those interested in contacting them, send me a private message and I'll give you details.

Thanks again for watching!
    Post edited by san2278 at 2010-11-07 01:06:20 pm
  • harryluhurharryluhur November 2010
    Hi bro,
    nice pond and very inspiring for those .
    I cannot help myself when i see the title. I encounter this koi when i visit a dealer friend.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt46/36aquatic/koi/Image0548.jpg
    Post edited by harryluhur at 2010-11-10 12:08:21 pm
    Attachments
    Image0548.jpg 119K
    Bro Harry, are you referring to the Ginrin Chagoi or the whole group of kois? Honestly, I too do not mind a few Bonsai kois with Show qualities.....
  • megatronmegatron November 2010
    I know some of us are actually keeping bonsai koi for show for many years mainly male fish. I did.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • anonymousanonymous November 2010
    May I know where to find these bonsai koi? It surprises me that the colour of these koi's are similar to the bigger ones.

Cheers
  • san2278san2278 January 2011
    Since some of you have been asking me, here's a video of the interior of my simple filter set-up.

Hope this is informative enough and thanks again for watching!
  • ikankoikauikankoikau January 2011
    Nice video bro... It feels like watching a short documentary. :-)
    How long does it takes for the "condo pond"(new words) fo stabilize?
    How long did you keep the kois and what size were they when you bought them?

Sorry, for asking so many questions. Got many friends who are frustrated bcoz they live in condos and not able to keep koi.
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2011-01-04 09:19:38 pm
  • AndySittAndySitt January 2011
    I've also seen some nice kois in aquarium... Atari Tropicana has a big aquarium with some nice koi. Anyone here raises koi in aquarium as well? I am planning to have one in my office.. Wondering how to work out the filtration system.
  • ChengAunChengAun January 2011
    Uncle Andy,
    i believe sump filter will be suffiecent
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • JamesJames January 2011
    Andy, for your office no need filter. 1 staff change 20% water every day, also will take 2/3 year before they need to perform the task again.... lol
  • megatronmegatron January 2011
    Wow....some many-many staff-staff!!!! :-?
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • AndySittAndySitt January 2011
    Ha ha.. James kidding.. :/ .. I own a small business hiring few beautiful models to attract top notch customers like him... :-))

I might try an Eheim filter.. But I guess the trick is minimal feeding.. Also thinking bout having a small chiller.. Much cheaper to maintain 18C water for super goshiki... :)>-
    Andy, if liddat i oso want to get super goshiki and leave in your office lo...
    @ikankoikau - Pond took about 1 week to stabilize, then spent another 2 months trying to figure out the optimal number of koi that can be kept in it without causing the filter to overload and without causing stress to the fishes (flashing, infections, etc).

At one point, had about 36 little ones in there. Used local koi's first (cheap la) and sizes varied from 3-8inches. Once I figured out the filter threshold then only began to replace local koi's with nicer imports.

Ideally, the pond can hold a maximum of 12-14 koi's sizes between 6-8inches. Currently have 16 in there, so will need to let a couple go up for 'adoption' soon.

Have had the koi's in the pond for slightly over 6 months already, and almost all of them are pretty much the same size from date of purchase. Maximum growth is about 2cm only. Only exception has been a single Chagoi with a monstrous appetite - in 2 months has grown from 4inches to almost 9inches now. Will definitely be letting this one go soon.

Again, thanks for watching, glad you liked the vid!

Bro San, do they bulk up very much or too much in such slow growth environment?
    @James - that's another thing that I had to do a bit of trial and error with. Was initially feeding them 3 times a day (a fistful per feeding), but cut down to 2 times a day because their excessive waste was wreaking havoc on the filter. Even then, had to further cut down because a few were developing pot-bellies.

Now, the ideal is only 1 fistful a day, which I administer twice a day (half in the morning, half at night). They bulk up slightly from when purchased, but not enough to cause pot-belly anymore.
  • san2278san2278 September 2013
    A couple of years back I was interviewed by now-defunct British publication, Koi Magazine, about this tank. Finally managed to get my hands on a copy of it to share with everyone.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/13868/1.jpgkoianswers.com/discussion/download/13868/1.jpg

koianswers.com/discussion/download/13870/2.jpg

koianswers.com/discussion/download/13869/3.jpg
    Post edited by san2278 at 2013-09-15 08:29:54 pm
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar September 2013
    =D> =D>

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership