Diy Bakki Shower Tips and Tricks
  • RyantRyant July 2012
    i'm planning to diy my own bakki shower but lack of ideas. I think many sifus here got their own diy bakki shower.

Where to get the container that can stack together or others alternative? If possible with photo.

Thanks
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur July 2012
    Dear Ryan,
    If you have extra space, you can try my design. I put the bakki hole on the back of pond, more easy on maintenance, and adding aesthetically look in front.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7958/bd%20bs%2001.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7961/bd%20bs%2002.jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7962/bd%20bs%2003.jpg
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro Harry,
    I have a question to ask you. If there are leaks in the cement at the base of the pond, can I fix it without draining the water? Are the techniques and special compound available to be used......

Thanks in advance.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • pslongpslong July 2012
    Shukri,

I have the same question....

Plus I am thinking of building a bakki shower, rather not DIY as I am hopeless at DIY and must be aesthetically pleasing to the eye as HM will be fuming mad if not .

Anyone has recommendations?

Thanks
  • vinsonchuavinsonchua July 2012
    Bro Harry

Are you trying to put inspiration to my new pond? Nice pond, Definitely one design I would reference. hahaha.
  • RyantRyant July 2012
    Harry

Your bakki shower is nice, This is what i wanted to do but........$$$
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Ryant,

I'm no sifu, in fact a newbie, but I'm more than happy to share the details on my own cheaper version of DIY bakki shower. I'm actually embarrassed :"> to show my tiny pond but for sake of learning and getting comments from the sifus here, I will have to show it. Don't laugh but please comment honestly.

I use the "pasar malam" basket (RM25 each from Jalan Pasar) and filled them up as follows, from the top:
    1st - black sponge - to trap dirt
    2nd & 4th - crystal bio
    3rd & 6th - taiwan BH
    5th - momotaro BH
    7th - bio balls (2 types)
    The 7th basket sits in a concrete catchment with piping that flows back into the main pond. It also has a drain pipe to remove dirt that collected in the catchment.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7970/bakki1.jpg

My contractor helped build a customized aluminum casing for me - for aesthatic purpose. I used to have one made from wood but it's too heavy. The aluminum one still needs two person to lift but at least my petit HM can help me this time round. Two sides facing front of view and my next door neighbour's house has perspex sheet on the inside to avoid splashing. The other two has open louvers but installed upside down to also avoid splashes but allow air to flow through.

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7971/bakki2.jpg

It's working fine so far and my water is clear despite 17 kois in a compact 5 ton pond (there, I said it! banghead )

Again, I welcome any comments or advice. Thanks.

-Pandai-
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
    Post edited by pandai at 2012-07-10 07:02:43 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro pandai,
    17 kois in 5 ton pond........I personally welcome you to the group. Overstocking is the order of the day. If you have 2 kois in a 5 ton pond then you are in an elite group..... :-D
    In our ponds, we have more kois than water. :-)) :-D
    Your DIY Bakki shower serve the purpose and looked great...... =D>
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Bro Shukri,

It's okay - one day, when I bought a new house, with a huge yard, and built myself a BIG pond; I promise I will never ever overstock my pond again... O:)
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • pslongpslong July 2012
    Pandai, looks nice....bro! Now I need a contractor to build me that concrete box!
  • idrisidris July 2012
    Since I have known 1 new sifu...I have a target for my 18 ton, I will decrease my kois to 10 pc only...so I will have better controll on it and less headache...hehehe...
    Bro Shukri,

I use PC-7 and PC-11 epoxy bought from ace hardware. Same product only different in color. This is a. Epoxy, mix equal 2 part, squeeze until it become harder and apply it. You shoulld make a 'V' shape so it attach better to crack. And yes, it can be use underwater. PM me if you cannot find one, Yamakoshi Mr NG, will be visiting Indonesia to inspect our quarantine facility here, and i may pass it to him.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
    Bro Vinson,
    Use as you like, there are many things that i previously keep, now i share it. See my other post about power surface skimmer, that's use is all pond i built. You don't need water level different for your ss to skim water, and you don't need move or cover you ss during feeding, just turn off the hiblow :)
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Thanks a million bro Harry. I will check it out at ACE Hardware for the specification that you have given. I will let you know whether these are available or otherwise in Malaysia.

Your Bakki Shower concept and prototype is nice.
    Sure Bro Shukri,
    It nicer to enjoy it @nite, and also easier on maintenance.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7972/bd%20(nite2).jpg
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • NeliNeli July 2012
    Very nice shower...what did U put as bottom of the concrete containers?
    I have also planned to put it behind the wall between the pond and filters...discharging with pipe into pond...
  • RyantRyant July 2012
    Thanks for the information.

Can i just have single or 2 tier bakki shower?
    Here how i normally do it for single bakki tower or bottom bakki for multi tier bakki
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8078/BAKKI%20depan.jpg
    FRONT VIEW

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8077/BAKKI%20samping.jpg
    SIDE VIEW
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Ryant,

I don't see why not but of course you will have less filtration capacity per square feet of footprint of the setup. If you have space, then this is no issue.
  • RyantRyant July 2012
    thanks

harry, the blue color area is the bacteria house inside the water.
    Ryan,
    The white and blue area is biological media, i put a standing pipe to have some submerged media. Blue one is submerged media, the white is dry/wet media.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Hi bro Alex aka @Handsome,

As per your PM to me, I got the baskets from Jalan Pasar in the shop selling plasticwares. The name of the shop is "Perniagaan Lian Her Chern Sdn. Bhd.". I do not have the address but it's located near the main wet market. The basket dimension is 59 x 38.5 x 18 cm. They are RM25 each but I suppose you can nego if you're buying a few.

As for the BH, you can get them easily - one of the forumners here @Eddy is selling it. Check out this thread: http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/1332

The crystal bio and bio balls I got from Atarikoi. Crystal bio is RM50 per 10 litre, if I remember correctly and the bio balls are cheaper.
  • YipmYipm November 2012
    Bro Harry, do you have the pictures on how it was constructed ? Planning to do mine finally after much thought.
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur November 2012
    Bro Michael,

As per our chat, i explaining the benefit of easier to maintain system using bakki. So what bakki you want? Single tier bakki tower or normal bakki shower.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • YipmYipm November 2012
    Normal Bakki Shower with few tiers, bro Harry.
    Bro Michael,

Single tier bakki tower is enough, more tiers mean more height, you will lose pump power the higher your BS is, not to mention the noise and aeshetical look. I have post a single tier Bakki in previous page, you can have a look. And this is also new pond, in finishing stage using single bakki.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10664/Kelapa%20Gading-20121119-00321_1353392996394_s.jpg
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Bro Harry what is reservoir?
    Can i make mine a trickle tower? what is bad about trickle tower and what is the difference?

/
    Sis Neli, reservoir is to drainage.

Trickle tower or bakki shower is the same function. But more tiers meean more height, this will need a higher head pump which also higher wattage. Even with the same pump, lower output mean you have more water compare tto higher output position.

If you see the pond above, most my lately design is like that. No more big and long chambers, which media put is mostly for mechanical purpose and it was a time bomb is nott clean regularly. I only have 3 chambers, settlement, prefilter and pump chamber. Prefilter consist above water sieve which action is to move the debris to the side thus eliminate the contact with water, it is practical and easy to clean. Cleaning period depend on screen mesh size, screen dimension, and feeding regime.
    Here a sieve sample in my facility, for around 20ton of water,i have around 30pcs 50-65cm kois.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/10665/ymi%20sieve.jpg

On the pump chamber which already almost clean water, i only need some polishing or fine filtration filter such as SF or BF, then to Bakki Shower. By drain setttlement chamber and cleaning sieve regularly, the SF and BF work more efficientt and with sieve, i have shorter contact time for debris in water. And my biological serve in purpose as biological, not as mechanical.

Regards,

Harry Luhur
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    Thanks Bro @Harry Luhur ,
    Is the only bio in the bakki?
    What difference does the speed/amount of water going through the bakki make?
    I plan to have not too much flow through the bakki.
    Is that bad?
    I prefer to push more water to the returns.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    American recommend very high flow through the bakki...but as I understand in a trickle filter flow is not too much as in a bakki. Is that correct?
    I can regulate the flow any way I want since I put valves everywhere...but would like to know what is best.
  • NeliNeli November 2012
    OK! I will post on my thread for advise on SC.
    Sis Neli,

BS with Momotaro Bacteria House recommend how flow, i don't understand the reason. But normal drip to media is sufficient. Trickle shower have more advantage on oxygen available for nitrification, and the shower also increase DO, but must remember that bacteria in TT will die faSter if power failure. Media must stay wet.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership