new in koi hobby
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    6ftlong3ftwide2ft can keep how many large koi
  • lautslauts July 2012
    How large ? and for how long ? Purpose long term or QT?

ts
  • KaajKaaj July 2012
    bro chagoi.
    You can keep as many as you like. But dont be dissapointed if they stay small like goldfish :-))
  • gerrygerry July 2012
    If large koi - 2 pieces.... for their comfort.

JMHO. :D
  • bwkwbwkw July 2012
    Hi Chagoi, basically your number of large koi also depends on your filter system. can you share more what setup you have so we can advise you?
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    Trickle filter/slump tank
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    I'm stay in flat,so there is limited space...if too large tank,I have to make special deliver.
    If longer term keeping them,can the koi be in nice condition.I will limit nos of koi.
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Hi chagoi,
    If I am in your shoes I will go out and get 4 X 50cm kois........ 1 kohaku,1 Showa, I Shiro Utsuri and 1 Non Gosanke.........

Cheers Bro........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    Thanks bro (shukri) your advise....I would go see more koi then buy
    Otherwise regret,however japanese breed is not cheap also...
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Bro Chagoi,
    Where are you from?
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Bro Kaaj,

Interesting point for discussion; if the pond is overstocked does it really stunt the growth of the fishes? Noted and agreed that you will have more difficulty maintaining water quality and higher possibility of disease outbreak but does the relative size of the pond really relate to the size of the fish, or are other factors like genetic and bloodline, quality of food and water play a more dominant role? Would appreciate views from sifus here... :-?

- A guy with a small pond - :-"
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • HDCuHDCu July 2012
    For small pond with overstocked kois, the trick is to maintain water quality like new always using more than enough filter media surface area coupled with religious cleaning of filter, high percent of water change in 24 hour trickle to flush out easy to accumulate toxins and hormones, a strong TPR to compensate for lack of space to get exercise, heavy oxygenation to help fish breakdown food, frequent small feeding using good food that dont produce much waste to ease filter and maintain good water quality always. Good genes of course is number one requirement.
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    Bro,I'm from sg.
  • JamesJames July 2012
    My FGT is 1.5 tons with 18 kois.... So no real benchmark of koi to water. Just what you want. Biggest in there is 40cm +.
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    Any photos to view?
  • pandaipandai July 2012
    Bro James,

Way to go!!! Suddenly I don't feel so bad... #:-s Could you kindly share with us some pictures, please? Also some brief explanation on the setup for our learning purposes. Thanks bro.
    Get Kenkona Koi and Kenkona Bio at special price online at http://kenkonakoi.blogspot.com/
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7906/IMAG0642-1.jpg
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    Can anyone tell me this chagoi is male or female
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro chagoi,
    Not much clue or information given......First, lets see the full clear photo ie the koi swimming towards you when you snap the photo. Then if you can take the picture of the vent. A half picture can't say much........Also give more information e.g. the size, age etc.....
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/7908/IMAG0638-1.jpg
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    This best pic I have bro...about 6mth/12inchs+-
  • idrisidris July 2012
    Technique on sexing can't be lern in one day bro...even for expert, to confirm about the sex when koi still 12 inch is really hard and sometime not possible...when u buy Tosai, it is more like gambling...hehe..
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Chagoi,

Chagoi strong chance, 60% female :-D .
    Bro HDCu basically sums up what i want to say if you decide to keep them overstocked. Smaller volume of water would be easier to pollute, faster than big volume , so much more effort is needed to maintain good quality water environment.

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2012-07-05 09:14:31 am
  • chagoichagoi July 2012
    Thanks bro

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership