A badly torn Dorsal FIn
  • ShukriShukri November 2010
    Dear Koi Kichis,
    I have a 65cm plus Kohaku with a badly torn Dorsal Fin (at the front end). It has been at least 6 months and I am quick sure that it is not healing as per normal i.e. the fin has not patched up like normal. Anyone has the experience in successfully patching up the torn dorsal fin to its normal form? This is a good kohaku and I need for the Dorsal Fin to patch up and look normal, else I can't put this Kohaku to participate in Shows.

Suggestions are greatly welcome.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • JamesJames November 2010
    Bro Shukri, I had a torn fin and broken bone in my shiro that healed in less than 2 months. Only applied yellow powder and blue medicine. But the new blue medicine is yellow in the syringe.
  • FPSooFPSoo November 2010
    Sukri,

can you take a picture and send to me. I will consult the breeders and see if they have any good suggestions. I am heading to Japan this weekend and will revert to you as soon as i get some advise from them.

FP
    Soo San,
    Thanks for the help and assistance. I will bowl the fish and take a close up photo. Wah! On a shopping spree again eh! So plan to bring back more quality stuff right?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • FPSooFPSoo November 2010
    sure lah... how to win all the hearts of koikichis if don't have good stuffs and yet affordable? this is 2nd trip, there will be 3rd, 4th... watch out, next few weeks is going to be extensive...when the pre-harvest fish coming up from the mud ponds...
  • BenjaminGohBenjaminGoh November 2010
    Tips from Uncle Jeff

Scrap the both end of the dorsal fin (split area) only. Stich it back with string.
    Ben San,
    Thanks for the tip..........I will try to do that........
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN November 2010
    Aiyooo.....Jumbo Tosai where got Stich back with String wan... (mooning) (mooning) (mooning)

Bro Shukri, if you want the Proper Stiching needle & thread, needle & thread are as fine as hair, I've got it..... ^^ ^^ ^^
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
    Bro M Zain,
    I will surely get from you. Also the needle should be very fine too. Ada also ke? :)
    With the suggestion by Ben San and the thread and needle from bro M Zain, I surely will be doing the scrapping on both side of the torn fin and sow back together with the thread supplied by bro M Zain. Berape harga bro? :)
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN November 2010
    Aiyoo....Bro Shukri, the needle & thread are good enough for stiching Human Eyes leh....

You can imagine how fine the thread & needle.
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
    Ya ka! Jolly good.........if my attempt is successful, then others with similar complications, will surely want to try. (ok)
  • koikitkoikit November 2010
    eh u guys serious ka wit the needle and thread? i got 1 sakai showa got torn top fin leh.. if can do i would like to do also heheh
    Brudder Kit,
    I will keep you in the loop......pray that it will be successful.........
    This is a two person job for sure, and Bro SC has agreed to assist. I am just wondering how to effectively scrap both sides of the healed torn area. I believe it is not easy.......sowing the two sides together will not be easy either. Like it or not I have to do it as this is a potential Show quality fish...... :-E
  • HWONGHWONG November 2010
    Bro,
    I had an Ogon that broke the first ray of the tail fin. This is a mega problem because it moves as the koi swims. I used a splinter method. ie a piece of plastic (stiff but still flexible) I scrapped the 2 bone surface to create fresh tissues. Then I use catguard (surgical surtures) to sew the splint to the broken fin. A very tedious job unlss you are a lokter adapt at this procedure.

It took a few weeks for the bone to rejoin. Since it is a moving, the final outcome is straight but has a bump maybe due to over growth of bone.

Good luck.
    Bro Hwong, I am not a lokter oso. Thanks for the tip. I believe the scapping is critical hear as to promote tissue growth. I have no clue as I have not done this before. There is always a first time in everything.....
  • KevinKevin December 2011
    Bro Shukri,

Please update how this procedure went and the recovery experienced?
  • ShukriShukri December 2011
    Hi Kevin,
    Good day to you. I am just back from my almost 2 months being away overseas. While I was away, my children fed the fishes, but a huge thanks to bro Seng Choon that came over regularly to help check the fishes and the water quality......

I will definitely update on the said koi with the pictures and the stories......stay tune. :-D
  • ikankoikauikankoikau December 2011
    Welcome home bro... No wonder so silence. ;-)
  • KevinKevin December 2011
    Tq Bro Shukri. Welcome home.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership