Very sad for the owner 35 BU Goshiki win 1ST ,best in size and baby champ in Singapore koi show.
  • koi888koi888 May 2012
    Sad to say and worried about future comp......
    this very good koi gone back to japan,,,,,,,,, :-((
  • JamesJames May 2012
    Bro, post pix pls so we can all pay tribute....
  • koi888koi888 May 2012
    well never bring my camera today but hope those with camera bro will post later to share.Today not a good day aleast 3 koi down.
  • JamesJames May 2012
    Understand the competition was in PVC bags right?
  • koi888koi888 May 2012
    no la in PVC round tank....like most koi show use....
    dont understand why it happend?????may be hot weather???
    those PVC bags survive except this poor baby camp put in the round tank for about 1 hour collaps during pize giving ,,,this are the risk of koi lover have to face.....
    Post edited by koi888 at 2012-05-26 08:15:16 pm
  • wongyengwongyeng May 2012
    Should buy insurance whenever enter comp.
  • DK76DK76 May 2012
    Was there too for a short while today guess it was the hot weather that contribute to e the down fall of few kois...anyway there's some good champs especially for the non gosanke GC ochiba.Hope someone will post pics of this show.
  • vinsonchuavinsonchua May 2012
    Err, the weather was good leh...water?
  • WilganWilgan May 2012
    Saw 2-3 died ystd. Very sad. Think the weather is too hot.

The Goshiki is yours? What happen? Thought it was still fine when I left for the award presentation?
    I was on site at the show hoping to foto some nice kois. The goshiki baby champion is not mine, but I am sadden by the sight of the baby champion dying in front of us after judging. It was a nice piece. I understand that there are another five casualties before judging. So the count so far are 2 goshiki, 1 kohaku, 1 tancho showa, 1 tancho sanke and 1 unknown. It was a gloomy day, no mood to take picture as most fishes are lashing to the surface for air.
  • idrisidris May 2012
    So is there any solid reason why this is happening?
  • ashfaqashfaq May 2012
    Lack of Oxygen/Aerated water?
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • koi888koi888 May 2012
    They should put some small fish to test the water before the show,heard today 2more koi gone back to japan again my
    deep condolence to all koi lover who have loss their beloved koi,

• idrisidris May 2012
    Or water change must be done regularly to ensure water quality...
  • jkjackyongjkjackyong May 2012
    i think this show i very lucky on it , no fishes go back to japan , 2 years ago , i lose over 10 pieces ...
  • idrisidris May 2012
    10 pc brother? That is catastrophic brother...
    lucky i send back all the fishes back to farm more early, if not all will go back japan , that show i enter over 80 pieces , I m going to move 82 pieces to jakarta tomorrow , So i just enter 15 pieces , If enter more dont know what will happen , just feel now i m very lucky
    Post edited by jkjackyong at 2012-05-27 11:08:42 pm
  • koi888koi888 May 2012
    I wander who there dare to entre the next sg koi again ,seem they never learn their lesson and prevention , nowonder respond so poor la......,
    they need to change if no so sure no one will send again ,hear summer and nippon koi lover owner suffer big loss this time,,...
    [ PLEASE BELIEVE ]

Very sad to hear that. I feel that Singapore Koi Club is ok, this might be a case of sabotage once again (just like 2 years ago). Just my gut feel, someone wants Singapore Koi Club to look bad.

This time around, I asked my staff and my dad not to leave my tank, and fortunate enough, nothing happen to me. So, I urge all hobbyists and dealer to just be more careful next time.

Do not loose faith, please continue to support our Singapore Koi Club.
    Post edited by jkjackyong at 2012-05-28 01:23:25 am
  • hewonghewong May 2012
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the thought and concerned.

The baby champion was my fish and I have also lost another 50 BU Goshiki that day too in two different tanks. Both were defending BIS for NHA in their respective classes. Goshiki (baby champion) was 15th ZNA best in size last year too.

It was a sombre day for me as i have groomed them in a chiller environment for a long time and have growned very attached to both fishes.

Waiting to hear feedback from the show organisers, will not jump into conclusion yet as there could be many possible reasons.

Thanks
    Henry Wong

:-((
  • ashfaqashfaq May 2012
    brother @hewong, Feel Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks,
  • idrisidris May 2012
    brother henry..condolence to u..yes the organizer must answer this because its their responsibilities to provide good environment for koi that enter the show...hope they can have a result pn what really happend that day..
  • pohbengpohbeng May 2012
    Bro Henry,

sorie about your loss.
    I lost a 67cm Shiro also.... :-((

On a separate note, I'm not sure why everyone seem to be pointing the cause to someone else. I'm upset with the lost on my precious koi.

However, I reckon that this is a risk we have to take when joining any competition.
    I believed the organiser has taken measures to the best of their knowledge, although it may not be the best or appropriate to different hobbyists or dealers.

This is an area where many will have their own views. Just like many discussions we have over here on selection, quarantine procedures, etc. Many hobbyists/dealers/breeders probably have their own ways of taking care of their koi. And all are the best methods in their own opinion.

For the spirit of koi keeping, I would urge everyone to continue exchange knowledge without putting in wild accusations or speculations.

Just like Koi appreciation, we look at the beauty and not fault of the koi.
    Enjoy the hobby, remember the Friendship that we built up and forget/forgive about the mishaps...

this is my lost shiro...Cheers! :)

koianswers.com/discussion/download/6875/shiro.JPG
    Post edited by pohbeng at 2012-05-28 02:58:28 pm
    Attachments
    shiro.JPG 87K
  • idrisidris May 2012
    bro pohbeng...sorry for your lost..it was indeed a good pc... :-(
  • ashfaqashfaq May 2012
    bro @pohbeng, wala its really a GOOD shiro, sorry for ur loss .
    Thanks,
  • sleepymansleepyman May 2012
    Bro Henry,

My condolences.. hope you can get over your loss quickly.

Bro Poh Beng,

I remember her winning some prizes for you last year since you grew her from Tosai.
    She's a beauty.. frankly, thought of having a friendly competion with my home-grown shiro at NHA also of 70bu.. alas, now it cant be..

My condolences too..

Regards..
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2012
    @hewong
    Sorry for the loss of your dearest goshiki.

@pohbeng
    That was a very very nice peace. May she RIP.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • hewonghewong May 2012
    Hi Bros,
    Thank you so much for the kind smses and posts for the past few days.

It was unfortunate that fishes die on such events, however i do agree with Bro Poh Beng that we have to accept the fact that such instances do happen from time to time beyond anyone's control, and i do believe that organizers do not meant it to turn out this way either.

Most importantly, i agree that we need to highlight these issues which may happen in shows so that we are all mentally prepared for such eventuality (touch wood). Is is also a feedback to our show organizers to improve and do better next time round (bearing in mind that the people involved in these events are infact volunteers who have painstakingly taken time off to organise these events for hobbists like you and me - for that i am very grateful).

Fishes aside, i am glad to have known alot of like minded friends during my participation in major shows in MY and SG. This to me is priceless. Getting to know the dealers, hobbists (in MY, SG and now ID) and becoming personal friends as a result is worth more than its weight in gold.

Most importantly, i have also improved my knowledge and appreciation of Kois as a result which i must admit is very addictive indeed....

It is after all a hobby and friendship is paramount above all else.

So, more Goshikis for me in the next harvest.

Henry
    :)
    HI all...Thanks for the reply...

@ChengAun...I liked your style....let the koi rest in peace...so that no need to be stress in Competition anymore... :-D
    Otherwise..some may still want to compete with her in "Japan"... :-"

Bro Henry....More reason to stock up now... :-D
  • WilganWilgan May 2012
    It is very uncalled for to make any baseless accusation or speculation. Hope this kind of groundless finger pointing act stops immediately. Nobody force anyone to send their kois for comp right? This is part and parcel of the risk. My condolense to all that lost their kois in this friendly comp though. Hope the organiser can study into the possible causes and take preventive measures next year.
  • DanleeDanlee May 2012
    Bro Henry & Poh Beng.

Very sorry to hear about your losses. I suppose this is part and parcel of our hobby. Hopefully, we can learn something here so we, as a commuity, can further improve in our future show.
  • k3nnyk3nny May 2012
    sorry to hear of ur loss bro Henry n poh Beng, can use this as reason to shop for more Koi now though. look on the bright side =>
    Bro Henry

I was very upset when I saw the condition of your Goshiki in its last moment. I had the pleasure of viewing it at her best just minutes before. It was a very fine koi which I thought would have many years of honour. My sincere condolences. I do hope that the organisers take a serious view on the matter, and provide a reasonable logic.

Bro PohBeng

Your shiro is a majestic piece. It is another unfortunate loss.

• JamesJames May 2012
    This is not the first koi fatality in koi shows and it certainly won't be the last. Effort will never be sufficient and I think koi kichi and show organizers alike must do their part to ensure this is minimized. Proper fasting of kois to ensure water doesn't foul is perhaps the key. Mixing kois are also a no-no. Water parameter is always tested at show ground, but this cannot guarantee that it is the same as it would be in our own ponds.

It is saddening that this has to continue to happen and it usually takes the best pieces along. Nothing can take the pain away.
    @pohbeng
    Can still go for AJDKS aka All Japan Dead Koi Show :-D
    I agree with uncle James. We should never mix koi from different owners. Fasting the kois also not sure yet as in the old forum there was a topic on kois vomiting while fasting.
    Bro James,

Coming from my own opinion, I fully agreed with you on Fasting Properly, and Quarantine Properly before the show. :-D
    In my case, you can see that the Shiro is relatively more Fat than the rest, and hence I suspected the 10 days fasting is not enough, while it is sufficient for the rest of my koi.
    There are 4 koi in the same tank, and although all show signs of dis-stress after some vomitting notice in the tank (very minimum tho), the rest were ok, once we transfer them to another tank.

In many of the tank with died koi, you can see almost the full tank surface is covered with vomit stuff.

well...a good lesson learn.

Cheers! :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership