Koi Pond Builder
  • muzamirmuzamir May 2012
    Hi,

Plan to build koi pond approx 15ft X 7ft X 4ft in size. Also to include timber decking and pergola in the design. Any koi pond builder in shah alam/klang valley area to recommend? appreciate if you all can share with me their contact/email for onward enquiry.

thks
  • ashfaqashfaq May 2012
    You can contact brother @ikankoikau alias Captain.
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Bro Ashfaq,

Thks. will mssg him accordingly.
  • ShukriShukri May 2012
    Bro Muzamir,
    Which ever contractor you decide, make sure that they know their stuff. Also you can always bounce ideas and check with us in this Forum when you are in doubt.....
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ChengAunChengAun May 2012
    Deleted
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-05-07 03:39:29 pm
    Deleted
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-05-07 03:39:42 pm
    Bro Shukri,
    Thks for yr advise...

Bro CA,
    OK thks..will check on their website..
  • mrkoimrkoi May 2012
    Bro Muzamir,

I would suggest u to have a pond visit to our friends koi pond in this forum so that at least u have an idea how the design for koi pond and their filter system looks like. And at the same time, can get an advise from them before start building your own pond.

Maybe u can join bro Idris pond visit next week as well.

Wish you all the best.
    Indeed I too believe that looking and reading other construction threads is the best way to understand the filtration concept.
  • ShukriShukri May 2012
    Bro Muzamir,
    By bouncing ideas with the Koi Community, you will not make the mistakes that we had with our ponds. Let the expensive experience be ours and for you to avoid....... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Thank you all for your kind advise and recommendation. I shall read more about this koi pond construction prior discussion with pond builder for final pond design.
  • ShukriShukri May 2012
    Remember, pond builders (especially those that have little experience with kois) are out there to make money and earn a living.

Considerations for ease of maintenance:
    1) How the flow of water is important
    2) Bottom drains, Skimmer etc locations (do you need a by pass pipe tp the dry chamber?)
    3) Mechanical & Bio filteration, clean water and dry chambers

The above are some, there are more elements to consider......
    Bro Shukri,
    Most of the pond builder suggest only 3 filter chamber which is 30% of main pond size consist of mechanical(brushes), bio(jap mat) and pump section( with coral)...not sure whether this set up is suitable for kois..but most of them claimed that all the ponds built so far has no problem and no complaint from their customer...
    what is your suggestion for main pond with size of 15ft(L)X7ft(W)X4ft(D) with regards to filtration chamber system and bottom drain qty and placement.
    thks bro
    DELETED
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2012-05-07 03:39:08 pm
  • ShukriShukri May 2012
    Muzamir,
    There are a lot of discussions and drawing of koi pond layouts in this Forum. So I strongly suggest that you revisit these threads and go through the postings. I have no doubt that pond builders believed that they built the best of ponds. People can claim, but visiting their reference sites is a must....do the visits without the builders' presence would be preferred.
    Well traditionally, it is true that the filter size should be 30% of the main pond. This is the rule of thumb.

Lets look at the mechanical filteration chamber. Yup, most people put brushes & all to trap the sizeable debris and waste. But make sure these are easily accessible for cleaning purposes. Then the Biofilter, to put the Japanes Mats, Bio crystals, Bio rings etc, and not to forget the oyster shells to buffer against pH drop (people no longer use corals due to certain problems etc). You can see that the Bio filter should be large enough to house all these and also air stones or air curtain. Then the clean water chamber to house the water pumps to return water to the main pond. It is here that you put the UV light. And there are bottom drains in each of the mentioned chambers that goes to the dry chamber. The bottom of the chambers need to be design as such that all loose dirt and waste will settle down in or near the BD. You can actually individually backflush each chambers independently. So remember, there are minimum 4 chambers needed here.

Coming back to the main pond, the new way of designing the water flow and current is only one direction. If you adopt this concept then the BDs need to be strategically position as such that the dirt and debris will be carried by the water current to the BD.

The skimmers need to be position in a well thought through fashion. Very lengthy to explain here but please pay special attention here. A lousy designed ones will cause problems in the future.

If you think it through with the air piping2, you can actually design it and inbed the pipings within the walls or conceal them in the cement. At the end of the day, there will not be ugly sights with regards to exposed pipings and air hoses.

I strongly encourage you to do a bypass pipe from your pond directly to the dry chamber. Just in case you one day would want to discharge water but bypassing the filter chambers.

Easy access and Ease of maintenance should be given the top priority when designing a pond. This is IMHO.

And also, you should position strategic plug points/outlet to cater for the lightings, air pumps, water pumps, O2 Concentrators, Chillers etc etc. Believe me, you really need many plug points.......also to cater for expansion and future upgrades. Having 15 plug points minimum is not an over statement. You also need a Power back Up unit (where to house the batteries etc etc)

Please also plan where do you want to position all of your equipment so that they would not be unsightly.

I strongly recommend that you use the MIND MAPPING TECHNIQUE to ensure that you have everything covered and not leave any stone unturned. Learn from our mistakes, and I guaranty you that you will save a lot of unnecessary spending.

These are only some of the things that you should be wary of, and I hope that your pond builder can talk and relate things in these manner. And I am only an everage Joe with regards to koi ponds....

Happy pond building......... :-D
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-05-06 10:06:28 pm
    Bro Shukri,
    Many thanks for your invaluable advise and appreciate it very very much. Hope that my contractor can cater and accommodate all this important points during construction later.
    Thks
  • KaajKaaj May 2012
    Dear Muzamir,
    Taking off from abang shukri's good advice, A few points to note from my 16.5 ton pond:
    1. Filters (conventional Up Down) -
    a) You should have a settlement chamber. This is where the water from bottom drains & Surface skimmer first enters your filters. You can put netting/screen here which will keep the large waste from entering other chambers.
    b) Second, third, fourth (or as many as you like) for your filter media. Matts, rings and brushes are commonly used. I have 4 chambers, 3 with J-matts, 1 with aquaclay.
    c) Final chamber is for pumps, UV light, coral, and overflow (to drain).
    d) Dry / Backflush chamber. All your stand pipes will be in here. You can also add a pump which is connected to your overflow pipe to remove water easily.

2. Pond : Uni-directional system -
    a) all water returns located on one end. Eg. Submerged pipes (4-6nos) running on 1 pump, water fountain or other above water returns running on 1 pump, air blower(in pond) min 1 nos. You will need to have at least 1nos 15a power point located closeby for your air blower.
    b) BD and SS located on opposing side from water returns, next to filter chambers. You will need at least 4nos 15a power points located closeby for your pumps, UV and air blower (for filters).
    c) All corners of your pond should be rounded off, so there are no dead areas.
    d) 2 bottom drains, 2 surface skimmers. You dont have to use both SS, but the provision is there.

Also, Provisions should be made for control valves attached to piping from your pumps. This enables you to control the volume of water/air that is going into your pond. Eg. If you feel that the filter is not able to handle your turn over rate, you can adjust the water flow.

Visit as many ponds as you can to get an idea of the basics. Many brothers will welcome you with open arms and explain in detail their systems. I am in shah alam, please feel free to drop by.

Cheers.

This is my pond builder - Mr Teoh 0169979979. You can refer me, Mr Singh Ecopark :)
    Post edited by Kaaj at 2012-05-07 12:30:04 pm
    You may want to ask uncle Thiam Hwa for help. I believe his designs are good. @ThiamHwa
    Bro CA, Kaaj,
    Thank you again for all your informative advise. For beginner, I must admit that i am a bit overwhelmed by all the ideas and suggestion given by you guys. Nevertheless i will try my best to adopt the good point shared with me for my pond construction.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership