Green Cut Powder
  • stevenong1919stevenong1919 October 2010
    Hi All,
    Recently i added some green cut powder to my pond. i stop feeding the kois for 3 days. On the 4th day, the koi seems to lose their appetite after i fed them with some pellet food. They are staying at the bottom eating away the algaes. Any advise Sifu?
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    Welcome Steve! and this is your first post. What is a 'green cut' powder? any scientific name........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    Is it Malachite green? But why do you put in those powder at the first place?
  • qsteeqstee October 2010
    I suppose green cut powder is to kill of all the algae in the pond.
    Hi all,
    my pond water is clear, but with blanket weed on wall & floor. well! too free i suppose, went to scrub off the wall & floor, then added some green cut powder bought from Max Koi farm.( u could view the product from their web site ).
    You are right qstee, i want to kill all the algae!
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    Hi Steven,

I spoke to a veteran who used this powder before to clear some algae and he did mention that his koi acted strangely for a few days as well.. No idea why but it does have some negative impact on the koi. Do add more new water (10% daily) to the system and the fish should be ok..
    Hi Andysitt,
    Thanks for replying. I had already add 10% of new water for the past few days. Till today, some of them started to eat but not like before. Worse is my precious Ginrin Soragoi, parking at the bottom.
  • rizalrizal October 2010
    Hi Steve,
    You might want to increase your aeration too. When you kill algae, it consumes oxygen as it decomposes on the pond floor. Naturally, more will get consumed if you kill a lot at one go. That would explain the lethargy and loss of appetite in your fish. Hope this helps in some way.

Best regards,
    Rizal

Hi rizal,

No wonder my ginrin soragoi is parking near the air stone. Thanks for the advise.
  • stevenong1919stevenong1919 November 2010
    Thanks everybody for advise. Kois are now eating. A lesson learn!
  • rizalrizal November 2010
    Great to hear they have recovered! :)

Best regards,
    Rizal
    Hi Rizal,
    Went thru a lot! Change 10% of the water daily n added S1.
  • ShukriShukri November 2010
    Bro Steve,
    How's your pond and fishes now? Hope that everything is OK now.........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi Bro Shukri,
    They are ok now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership