Green water problem
  • west5405west5405 May 2012
    Hi,

I have a small pond with DIY-bakki shower. <-- want to know what media should i put inside.
    I need help how to keep my water clear ?
  • spencertanspencertan May 2012
    Pls take note that clear water doesn't always mean healthy water.
    Normally, DIY Bakki shower don't work as well as one that is properly done up, so I would suggest you spend that amount of money for a better working system. For your bakki media, you can opt for Momotaro bacteria house, Matala active stone or Ogata crystal bio.
    Some may use other media but I find this 3 to be the best.
  • NeliNeli May 2012
    Green water is normally a sign of excess nitrates and phosphates.
    Do U do regular at list ones a week water changes?
    the water change green around 1 week.
    where those media i can get? Any around malaysia ?
  • ShukriShukri May 2012
    Bro west5405,
    Please install a submersible UV light in your clean water chamber i.e. the water before being pumped back into the main pond. The UV lights will kill these uni cellular organisms. Also you can use biozyme (starts the colonies of good bacteria in your biofilter chamber) so that they can eat up the swimming uni cellular algae cells in the water which cause the green water effect. Green water is good for the kois actually but a very sore eye sight for us humans........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • NeliNeli May 2012
    I saw most of the UV lights the breeders use were out of the water, with a shade over them, near the water surface...someone ,...somewhere...said that it performs better like that.
    I got pictures of their UV lights. Found it interesting.
    Funny enough I had ones green water...for three days after I put PP in the pond. So I am not sure if it was algae or effects from the PP.
    I put 3-4 times sower milk in the pond and my water was crystal clear in few days.
    But again I am not too sure if it was green water.
    is it only UV light can get water clear ?
    no other natural way ?
  • HDCuHDCu May 2012
    Other ways:
    Barley straw,
    Plant filter,
    no or minimal sunlight,
    colder water,
    less feeding,
    increase the facultative anaerobic bacteria(the good ones) that eat up the nitrates.
  • kominatokominato May 2012
    Just for my info, is your pond shaded in any way or direct sun. Thanks
    Post edited by kominato at 2012-05-02 04:33:22 pm
  • DK76DK76 May 2012
    Might want try putting DIY sieve netting in your first chamber...through my experience it's help in curbing algae issue especially string algae but labour intensive as you'll need to rinse the sieve atleast twice a day as it'll get choke up easily.
  • ashfaqashfaq May 2012
    Brother HDFCu, what are all the types to increase anaerobic bacteria(the good ones)?
    Please highlight on this :)
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • HDCuHDCu May 2012
    Bro Ashfaq,

I am not familiar with names as I am not a microbiologist. But from what I know there are the anaerobic bacteria that eats up nitrate, biological waste that release toxins and those that dont release toxins. The one that dont release toxins include the probiotics, koizyme, evolution aqua pure pond, etc. They clean up (anoxic filtration) the DOC, waste, nitrate in the pond system making water cleaner even with less water change. The anaerobic ones that release toxins are the dangerous one. Once a koi gets injured, some of its cells in the wound die of, these bad bacteria eats up the dead cells and release a toxin that destroy the surrounding cell as such the wound becomes bigger and bigger. Some of these bacteria release toxins inside the koi and if the koi immune system is weak, it gets different kinds of problems as well.

In any system, there will be all types of bacteria, the good and the bad. The key is to keep the population of bad anaerobic bacteria to the minimum while increasing and maintaining the population of good bacteria without crashing the PH.
  • HDCuHDCu May 2012
    Here is another article with regards to different group of bacteria in the pond.

What are heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria?
    When most fishkeepers start to think of 'filter bacteria' they are actually referring to autotrophic bacteria. These can convert chemicals that do not contain carbon, such as ammonia (NH3) and nitrite (NO2), but not something like proteins (CHON) that contain carbon.

Heterotrophic bacteria prefer organic wastes — those containing carbon. Under lab conditions some species will also consume ammonia and this has caused them to be marketed as filter starting products.

Although incredibly hard to bottle the autotrophs essential for filters, it’s very easy to preserve heterotrophs.

In new tanks heterotrophs will outcompete autotrophs for vital resources. While a typical filter autotroph divides around every 15-20 hours, heterotrophs can do so every 20 minutes. In the time it takes for one autotroph division you could have more than 30 trillion heterotrophs in the tank — taking up valuable space, oxygen and food.

However, in a healthy tank with plenty of autotrophs, a controlled addition of heterotrophs can be beneficial, especially where organic wastes need to be consumed. Add too many, though, and you’ll witness spikes of ammonia and nitrite as beneficial bacteria are outcompeted for food.
  • ashfaqashfaq May 2012
    Thanks brother @HDCu for the sharing
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership