• AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    She came, she conquer and now she left.. An amazing shiro utsuri owned by veteran koi kichi Paul Hooi has passed away calmly today at 3pm.

Paul saw his fish floating in his pond this morning.. and it seems life is a short moments away.. He called Aaron to help perform an autopsy... This is the story..

More to come...
  • BenjaminGohBenjaminGoh October 2010
    :(
    Tommorow. I buy flower..
  • FPSooFPSoo October 2010
    Bro Paul,

we are sorry for your loss.

FP
  • koifankoifan October 2010
    Looks like its bloated tummy, possibly dropsy?

My condolences Bro Paul. A sad loss for the koi community.
    Post edited by koifan at 2010-10-29 12:46:17 pm
  • KaajKaaj October 2010
    Bro Paul,
    Condolences on the loss of one of your favorites. She was truly stunning.
  • DanleeDanlee October 2010
    Bro Paul,

Sorry to hear about your loss. She has been a real fighter.
    Anyone know the history of this koi. All I know is it cost Paul a bomb but it won lots of prizes in Japan and Malaysia...

Still uploading to youtube.. 99% complete only to state Upload Failed...
  • efjiefji October 2010
    Bro Paul,

Sorry about your loss..a truly impressive shiro..was lucky enough to see her in last year and this year's show..

Fg
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    This is surely one of my favorite Shiro in Malaysia to date.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    <blockquote rel="Shukri">This is surely one of my favorite Shiro in Malaysia to date.</blockquote>

(ok) agreed.
    Is the fish 9 years old?
    Yeah, the fish is 9 years old..........confirmed.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

The autopsy begins by Aaron Goh at AKA Koi Farm.
    History of the koi.
    If i remembered correctly.

2006 AJKS 75bu 1st prize
    2007 AJKS 80bu 2nd prize
    2008 MKS Superior Champion
    2009 MKS Over 80bu 1st prize
    2010 MKS Over 80bu 1st prize
    http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/346/Shiro%20-%20nisai%20and%20tosai.jpg

http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/347/shiro%202007.JPG
    Post edited by BenjaminGoh at 2010-10-29 01:07:10 pm
    Born 2002 to Panda, Omosako.

2006 All Japan Koi Show 1st prize 75BU Utsurimono
    2007 All Japan Koi Show 2nd prize 80BU Utsurimono (when she was only 76cm)

Brought back to Malaysia in March 2008, still 76cm.

2008 ZNA Malaysia Koi Show 1st prize 80BU Utsurimono + Superior Champion
    2009 ZNA Malaysia Koi Show 1st prize >80BU Utsurimono
    2010 ZNA Malaysia Koi Show 1st prize >80BU Utsurimono

29 Oct 2010 RIP 82cm

Info provided by Anonymous Member.. (100% accuracy)
    Post edited by AndySitt at 2010-10-29 01:19:36 pm

Aaron would be the best person to explain the problem.. I guess its egg impaction. The eggs seems dried and there are some cancerous looking organ.
    Final Autopsy and the findings..

All videos are raw and unedited. So please pardon me if there are any errors.
    No gloves ar? Hahahaaha

R.I.P
    I do not believe the death is due to egg impaction. Hardly any eggs.
    <blockquote rel="BenjaminGoh">No gloves ar? Hahahaaha</blockquote>

well no glove, no sanitizer, no proper knives... luckily he's not a medical dr.
    very dramatic guys........are you sure the hole in the ground is deep enough?
  • megatronmegatron October 2010
    Sorry to hear about your loss, she was definitely a shiro gemilang for Malaysia.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • Denn7Denn7 October 2010
    Very sorry to hear about your loss when I touched down at Saigon today....both of you were lucky to have each other for company....she had a great life thanks to you bro!
  • lautslauts October 2010
    Very sorry to hear about your loss Paul. The shiro is lucky to have you as owner, i think its lived its life to the fullest.

Warm regards
    ts
  • Kelvin86Kelvin86 October 2010
    Bro Paul, very sorry to hear the loss of this such beautiful Shiro. May she RIP. I think she went off peacefully as she has such a great owner. God bless...
    - Aquatic Kingdom -
  • koikitkoikit October 2010
    True champion shiro.. Sorry to hear abt ur lost bro Paul...
  • yysim88yysim88 October 2010
    What a great loss for the Malaysian Koi Community and especially for Bro Paul, we feel for you. As Bro Paul succinctly put it, "the Great Shiro has been suffering for the past months so the death marked the end of the pains and suffering she endured. She has lived her life."

I am sure with Bro Paul's commitment in this hobby and his know how, many more champion koi will emerge from his pond.
  • jaysonjayson October 2010
    bro Paul, sorry to hear the loss of you. she is a great shiro.
  • HWONGHWONG October 2010
    Really sad news on the demise of one of the most stunning shiro I have seen. The last I saw her was when Bro Paul tried unsuccessfully to spawn her of eggs. At that time it was thought that her increasingly massive girth was due to eggs. In the Kiddy pool, her tail was already sticking out of the water. When she was returned to the Pond, Paul said she was positioned near water surface in typical helicopter fashion. She was also not eating.

Spoke to Aaron this morning. He commented that he observed tumor like growth, lots of fats enveloping the organs, Egg not mush but has gone bad. As can be seen on video, The massive waterlogged organ could be the liver.

I believe Bro Paul will find consolation in the fact that the shiro has led a glorious life bringing pride and honour to itself, the breeder and of course her owner. Bro Paul should take great pride in acknowledging that he has done a great job grooming and maintaining the shiro in top form. Like all living things, life has to come to an end someday. She was 10 years old if not mistaken.

• etanoetano October 2010
    Very sorry to hear this Paul, may she RIP. This hasn't been a good year for you but it is coming to an end very soon.
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • st8800st8800 October 2010
    Sorry for your loss bro... she was indeed a champion.
    Best
    Spencer
  • farikfarik October 2010
    Bro paul,
    very sorry for your loss, a real true beauty.... if i had such a beauty i would have called a taxidermist and got her preserved.
  • PH8PH8 October 2010
    Several of those closer to me are aware as to why I have chosen to stay off all forums for now, but seeing so many well wishes from so many brothers, I felt it would have been mighty rude for me not to say anything. Still, maybe this is my last post also..

Thank you for all the well wishes. I told Bro Aaron and Bro Andy that I had no problems with them posting the autopsy video etc on the forum. For it is from each others' mistakes and failures that we can all share and learn together.

To summarize what happened, about 2 months ago, I noticed that the shiro had looked disinterested in food for about a week. Her tummy also looked bloated. Although her girth has always been big, looking bloated is another thing altogether. No, it wasn't dropsy as there was no pineconing.

Remembering what Brother David said about a koi "having to be ready" in order to release eggs, and that one of the signs of being ready was lack of interest in food, I felt that perhaps she was ready for egg release. Therefore I bowled her up and shot her with an Ovaprim injection. Kept her in the hospital tank for 2 days but no eggs were released, so I disinfected her vent, gave her an antibiotic injection and put her back into the pond. That was when she started "floating" around the surface of the pond, albeit in an upright position. Typically, her dorsal and caudal fins were sticking beyond the pond surface. She did not improve for another week, and still had no interest in food, so I bowled her up again and shot her with Ciprobay for 5 consecutive days before releasing her back into the pond again.

Still no change. I decided that she was very stressed (no point trying anything else anymore as the stress would probably kill her) and I hoped that good water may help her to recover over time and that she would start eating again. But it was not to be. After another few weeks, I found her floating sideways as you could see in the "distress" video that Bro Andy posted up.

As in all things, we need to view things from the right perspective, and although I feel very sad in losing possibly my best fish, my pain is nothing compared to Bro Thiam Hwa who just lost his beloved Dad 2 days ago. My condolences again, Bro.

Cheers,
    Paul
  • AaronGohAaronGoh October 2010
    Aaron
    +60123182002
    Post edited by AaronGoh at 2010-10-30 11:03:14 am
    Paul, hope this is not your last post in this forum nor should you stop updating your youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/hooinc . Its great to share this hobby. It is almost impossible to learn about koi without experience and unselfish people. What took a sifu to pick up years ago is now made easier with the beauty of technology and idea sharing. Without a forum to share I guess my knowledge is still limited to understanding the variety of fishes let alone knowing so much in details. Lets just have fun (rock)

Ben.. you kept your promise of the flower.. (y)

TH, my condolence..
  • ikankoikauikankoikau October 2010
    Bro Paul,

I am very sad to watch all the videos. Speechless actually. She is a legend and will always be. Hope you will find her replacement which I think will not be easy. But with your dedication, anything is possible.

I hope that this is not your first and last post bro.
  • kennywankennywan October 2010
    Bro Paul,

My deepest sorry to hear your loss, she left behind a legacy!
  • SIMKEE2020SIMKEE2020 October 2010
    Bro Paul,

Sorry for your lost.
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN October 2010
    Bro Paul,

What a SAD way to do a Virgin Post.....

Every Bros has already Said what I need to say.

Just to add On.....Life has to Go On.
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
  • yujian82yujian82 October 2010
    Bro Paul,

Condolences in your greatest ever shiro ... i felt the pain too... may she rest in peace...

Regards,
    YuJian
  • ChengAunChengAun November 2010
    To Us This Was One One Of The Best Koi Ever To have existed.
    From Egg To fry To Tosai To Nisai and Grand Champion.
    Rest In Peace.
    :(
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Post edited by ChengAun at 2010-11-22 09:06:58 pm
  • AndySittAndySitt November 2010
    hi Cheng aun, let's hope uncle Paul will get a better shiro in the near future.. Paul there is a nice shiro at Yamakoshi koi boutique...
  • ChengAunChengAun November 2010
    yes Uncle Andy...... lets hope Uncle Paul gets a new shiro.............
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • PH8PH8 November 2010
    Got a small one from the Yamakoshi grow out already leh. Doing pretty well, I like her (hopefully her). Ain't likely to grow to the size of the other one though... :-(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership