Painting pond black
  • kevo0okevo0o April 2012
    I have a concrete pond and planning on painting it black like many other ponds. What type of paint do you guys use? I cannot find any black epoxy paint in my hardware stores. Please help thanks. P.S i dont have enough money to fiberglass the pond.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    Hi Kevo0o,

Welcome to koi answers. I think most koi hobbyist here are not familiar with what brands of waterproof paint you have there in the states. Depending on what country, we use different brands. Some use Polyurethane, some use rubberized waterproofing paint, some just use waterbased acrylic, epoxy. whats important is that the paints needs proper curing time for the resin to set in and for the VOC to release.

If you want to be sure for safety, You can look and search for "pond paint", usually just a waterbased acrylic based paint. Im sure there are plenty there in the states. just make sure your concrete had waterproofing additives already.

• JamesJames April 2012
    Alternatively, just leave it and wait for wall algae to grow. Becomes dark anyways..
  • harryyewharryyew April 2012
    Bro kevo0o

I used Fosroc products.

1)Waterproofing= Nitoproof 600, Coverage is 1.3litre/m2

2) black coating = Nitocote EP405, Coverage is 5m2/litre

cheers
  • lautslauts April 2012
    As Bro James mentioned ,

Just leave it for algae to grow . Nothing is better as algae also contribute to wellbeing of your pond enviroment , better for kois.

ts
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Paiseh, i no sifu le, just share opinion... my way is the lazy way.... :-D
  • MikeMike April 2012
    Hi Harry, mind to share the cost of the product and place of availability. I am thinking of painting my pond black because algae is not growing in my pond.
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Hi Mike, your pond got no sun, or are you not feeding enough, or change too much water?
    Bro Mike

.....algae will eventually grow when the N and P reach certain level. The grow unfortunately not like the putting green and usually patchy. Some areas black some areas green. It looks unsightly and when you want to remove it from the floor and the walls it is very susah.

You can order it from the hardware stores or contact direct Fosroc Malaysia (Tel 51915660) for his nearest dealers near to your place of convient. The EP405 you need to specify for Black colour else the normal white or blue will be delivered.

Cheers.

• MikeMike April 2012
    Hi James, my pond is fully indoor, bad move to have a fully indoor pond. I am not sure that i feed them the amount that i should but 200g daily for 13 koi. Size range from the smallest 19cm to the largest is 65cm, all measured at January 2012. Water change is 10% daily.

*** Edit ***
    Thanks for the contact Harry.
    Post edited by Mike at 2012-04-19 03:19:53 pm
    every year i have a problem with string algae and its impossible to get it off concrete. Thats why i want to paint something thats easier to clean algae. Even when i put Algaefix to kill string algae they seem to keep coming back
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    if your water is very rich in nitrate and phospate as well as DOC coupled with sunlight, you will have lots of string algae growth in your pond. I dont see how string algae can be easier to clean in a painted pond. Best is to solve the nitrate, phospate and DOC.
    not one paint store or hardware store in my state sells black epoxy. All they have is white. i dont know how some people paint black epoxy. Its so hard to find here.
    Some people paint black epoxy because they either get from their hardware stores who have the products in stock or they request the hardware store to shipped and/or import for them or they go interstate to get it and some even self import from other countries who has the product of their choice...........to get that aesthetic looks they desire to have.

So....how bro kevo0o......what are your plan now?

I have paint now and i am painting tomorrow. My kois are gasping for air in our inflatable pool. I have oxygen in the pool but it was so hot here today and some of my kois almost died. hopefully i get this project done soon.
  • idrisidris April 2012
    better make it quick bro.try to pud shade or something to cover from direct sunlight..good luck...or you can always use and ice pack...it will drob the temparature on a hot day...
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Bro Idris, offer la to house in your pond first since your pond not enuf koi anyways... :-))
  • idrisidris April 2012
    bro james...u do not know i have how many kois...i have several kois already that i house in other friend pond! >:-) .....hahahaha..

• JamesJames April 2012
    Bro Idris, before my pond was completed, I had about 60... u?
  • idrisidris April 2012
    Sh+#..u always wanna win!!! If I'm 15, I will say aahhhh I got 70 more than u got! But now I would just say.. Wow bro james..60? U the man! Hehe
  • JamesJames April 2012
    It's the early stage of koi keeping la bro. simply buy then only cull.... it's not about winning, it's about sharing the different experiences/methods to learning... but mind u, more than half took an excursion to japan even before reaching my pond...
    Post edited by James at 2012-04-20 08:17:58 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership