Alum crystal @ tawas for chlorine removal?
  • muzamirmuzamir April 2012
    Hi,

Just wandering whether this item (tawas/alum) can be used for chlorine remover during water change. One of the shop told me that i can use it to remove chlorine during water change.

thks
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    Aluminum Sulfate is highly acidic. It can burn the skin when touched. I dont see the point of using something like that just to remove chlorine as sodium thiosulfate is much safer and cheap as well.
    Sodium thiosulfate...hmm after googling i found that this guy misunderstood this item with tawas.. the pic attached matched to the actual tawas that he showed to me as sold in his shop.
    thks bro HDCu.
  • ChengAunChengAun April 2012
    Why not use anti chlorine. A normal bottle only costs RM1.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    at the moment am using the rm1 anti chlorine .... but from his explanation i just need to put in only 20 pieces of that tiny cyrstal into my 2.5 ton pond which i think much much cheaper than rm1 anti-chlorine.. they are selling rm10 per plastic container ( i believe around 50-100g range).
    anybody experience using this item? is it safe? the right dosage? for time being am just sticking to rm1 anti chlorine..hehehe
  • MikeMike April 2012
    Im using a liquid form anti chlorine named Tensiongon and it cost me RM30 for a 1 ltr btl.
    1 ltr of this thingy can treat up to 20 tonne of water.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    the cheap anti chlorine liquid is made from diluted sodium thiosulfate.

to calculate the amount of soudium thiosulfate refer to below.

http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcdechlor.asp

if you want to make the liquid yourself. you can make it in any different concentrate but remember to use only distilled water.
  • MikeMike April 2012
    Thanks HDCu for the link of the calculator. Would like to know is there any koi health related issue of using Sodium Thiosulfate.
    Thks HDCu for the info.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    Sodium thiosulfate is quite safe even at 1000 percent more than recommended levels from what i know. It can also be use to remove some heavy metal, arsenic, copper, cyanide poisoning.

I think there should be more study on the beneficial use of this cheap chemical instead of just using it as an antichlorine for the koi hobby.
  • AlvinAlvin April 2012
    i thought the safest way is to use activated carbon as a chlorine remover. i just buy a 10inch pvc filter container and install a good quality activated carbon cartridge (i am using KX matrik from usa). The cartridge cost about RM 35 from main dealer. one cartridge can last for 5 month on my side as i am constantly discharging about 1m3 water perday into my pond.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    im using a activated carbom myself for trickling 1000 liters into my pond in 24 hours but i keep sodium thiosulfate for massive quick refills. activated carbon is cheaper as you can regenerate it and use it for a very long time.
  • lautslauts April 2012
    problem with activated carbon is when would it be exhausted. Depends on many factors , you may not get fully dechlorinated water. How many really test the water from these filters everytime before going into the pond ?
    Since ST is so cheap and safe , this should not be an issue.

ts
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    if its just a constant trickle for 24 hours in a heavily aerated pond and filter, i dont see the harm with a just a minute chlorine escaping the activated carbon filters.

in any case it would be advisable to microwave the activated carbon every month.
  • vinsonchuavinsonchua April 2012
    Bro HDCu

There are different micron spec for the active carbon, what is your recommendation?
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    if you are going to use the bead granular type, its better to use the smaller. while more expensive, it has more surface area as such it is more effective.

for cartridge carbon block type like in one use in house water filtration, the one made from coconut seem to last longer. i think it is around 20 microns. you need to have a small pressure pump to push out the water out of the carbon block. Every month i take this block out, wash it and put it the microwave for 3 x 3 minutes. You will smell the accumulated chlorine gas out until it doesnt smell anymore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership