Koi pond depth
  • KssKss April 2012
    I have a pond on top of concrete structure and there is a koi pond constructed on top . The size of pond is 5.3 M x 4.6 M x depth is0.4M and filtration area is divided in to two sections of 1.6 m x o.8 each comprising sea shells , sponge and pump.
    My question is what is the minimum depth of water to keep koi of reasonable growth of approx 25 cm at least . As need to consider the floor loading of water , I must keep the water depth as minimum but within reasonable depth for koi existence tks
  • smokersmoker April 2012
    bro Kss,
    I believe the minimal pond depth is 1m.
  • adleeadlee April 2012
    yes from what i understand we do need at least 3 feet depth = 1meter. but i used to have a really2 small DIY pond that the depth is only around 2 feet but the koi manage to grew till around 35-40cm.. sure the girth is not there but lenghtwise it can reach more than 25cm as u needed
  • weihanweihan April 2012
    Two feet is okay if u wanna keep bonsai koi..and also quite safe if your house have kids :)
  • kkchiakkchia April 2012
    Is the size of the koi sometimes depends on the breeder too? Does it mean that a good potential fish will stun grow in a 2 feet depth pond?
  • ShukriShukri April 2012
    Bro weihan, the risk of having koi ponds are the same for having swimming pools.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    To grow koi to 25 INCHES with just two feet of pond depth is easy. No problem with girth as well.

Even a good potential fish will get stunted in a deep pond if one does not feed it enough, change much water, overstock the pond, etc. I recently bought a showa that was just 27cm as a nisai that was kept in the dealers 6 feet deep pond along with lots of koi of different sizes for a year. After just two months and a half month in my three feet pond its now 37cm without its colors or its nearly finished pattern breaking up.
    With sufficient TDO, enough fresh & quality H2O coupled with top grade food and the bloodline, you will have a Jumbo in your pond in no time.......... :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • vinsonchuavinsonchua April 2012
    I use to have a 1.5ft pond when starting out, and have no trouble to bring tosai to 40cm mark. The trouble is the more you hang around in koi forum, the koi poison starts to kick in when bros showcase their prized work of art. At that moment, you go "OMG!!" "I need to upgrade my pond!"

I was luckily that I am using FT, so reconstruction is consider an easy affair compare to build concrete pond.
    That's how it is in the Koi Keeping Hobby........We will get addicted in all shapes or forms. Bottom line, we will continuously upgrade our collections and will keep on buying. Will the buying ever stops??? I haven't and so are the rest of the koi kichis. But one thing for certain, I am buying much lesser than before, and my pond have never been 'NOT CROWDED.' So what is this Koi Keeping Hobby again? Everyone has a different perspective I guess...........
  • JamesJames April 2012
    My take is build as large as the space will allow, then no more possible upgrades. Any upgrades will be extremely positive, ie bigger house... then, we can focus on improvements on the same pond... my pond is going thru multiple experiments/refinements too. But still overstocked... and continues to be...

Another new addition, beh tahan...

Superb buy, bro James! I Like! If you have no space, I lend you mine...

• JamesJames April 2012
    Little Vinson, can. Just bring your credit card when u come collect her.... :-)) :-)) But let u know first ar, your credit limit must be quite high... :-D
  • YLLiauYLLiau April 2012
    hi bro james, mind to share a video of your pond ? =D>
    I heard that the credit limit from Bank of Nishikigoi is easy to get, the bureau is managed by Kichi hence more leverage on asset assessment.
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Bro Liau, dun have the latest video of my pond... not done this for very long time. Bro Vinson, so when do i expect you or do i meet you at the Bank of Nishikigoi? :-))
  • KaajKaaj April 2012
    KSS,
    You can keep koi in 6 inches of water....but expectation should not be high for the koi to grow very large, irregardless of the size of the pond. Getting your 25cm koi to 60cm in your 0.8ft depth pond, may be a challenge.

Most hobbyist sit between 3-5ft when it comes to depth. This is important, because it allows the pressure from being at the bottom to improve the bulk of the koi. There are hobbyists who have compensated for shallow ponds by utilizing air pumps instead.

Best of luck.

James,
    NIce :)))
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Tks bro Kaaj, long time no posting, been busy??
    my worries is the big koi (bottom body) will easily get wound in shallow pond coz it may alway rubbing to the pond..
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Bro YL, unless the koi is only half submerged in shallow water, else there is no reason to think why the koi will rub itself abnormally.... unless your koi is itchy at the bottom :-)) :-))
    hahaha, pls dont curse my kois le, i wish my kois will never itchy at underneath of pond again~~~ :)>- haha..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership