PH Value
  • kominatokominato April 2012
    Just got my ph meter from ebay. After calibration my pond read 7.1.
    Is this ok, if not.how do i raise this. I do have about 20% of my filter with coral chips.
    Thanks
  • idrisidris April 2012
    Oyster shell perhaps..? Or PH powder..just my opinion...
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Bro, if your kois have been ok with this pH means they are already accustomed to this. Don't do anything if they are already used to this unless it has been dropping caused by the rainy season. Kois get stressed when environment changes, so best not to change if they already love their environment.
    Ok
  • weihanweihan April 2012
    Bro komito, for safety purpose I think you may want to add in some oyster shell, bit by bit just incase of acid rain. Better don't use coral as they increase pH rapidly.
    Hi mbro weihan, I have all along been using coral chips in my chamber all these years and not added recently, but no oyster shell though. Do I get these at koi farms?
  • idrisidris April 2012
    Yes bro..koi farms do sell it..if in kl, Atari would have it...just bought it last week..
  • weihanweihan April 2012
    Hi komito, is better to replace your old coral with oyster shell. Coral will loss its function as a buffer in less than two years
    Oh I see. Tks
    I am in spore.
  • HDCuHDCu April 2012
    Bro kominato,

To determine PH stability, you need to take PH 4 times every 8 hours. If PH range is just 0.3 or less than your water PH stability is just fine. No need to do anything.
    ok tks
  • weihanweihan December 2013
    Hi all, can kupang ( mussel) shell be use as a buffer for pond pH value as well? Manage to find a place with lots of kupang shell.
  • lautslauts December 2013
    Same material CaCo3 , problem will be practicality. Kupang shells are thin and there will be some meat/ ligaments leftovers on shell. This will be a problem. Oysters shells will be thick and don't wear out easily.
    My oyster shells are now , after 2-3 yrs are already developing holes, very thin and dangerous when washing them. Got cut quite badly recently when washing as they are thin and sharp like a knife.
    ts
  • ray2kray2k December 2013
    I agree with Bro Lau. Better use gloves when handling oyster shells. If you have marble chips also can. Certain limestone rocks also works. You can test by pouring drain/terazzo cleaning acid and if it bubbles and fizzes, you can use.
  • nocturnalnocturnal December 2013
    Bro Weihan :)

cockle shells (kerang) would be a gd replacement for oyster shells. i know Abang David Soon uses it to buffer his ponds :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership