Helping out with an existing pond
  • ShukriShukri March 2012
    Posts: 4,881
    Hi everyone,
    I need to tap the brains of the people in this Forum. There is this one pond that I am helping out that all the kois were wipe out a few months ago. The owner can't tell me why the fish died i.e. was it bacteria, virus, parasites etc. The owner does not know why the fishes died. From the explanation, I can't figure it out. There have been no fishes in the pond for nearly 3 months. What I did was to bomb the pond and filter chambers with PP. Tonight I went to inspect the pond and filter chambers with my son, upon physically checking the Japanese mat and the bio rings, upon touching the mat and the bio rings, both of our hands were almost instantly very itchy. Without checking it under the microscope, I am guessing that there are plenty of parasites in the filter chambers thus causing my hands to be itchy. After washing both my hands with dettol soap, I still felt itchy. My question is can bacteria and fungus caused the same? I just wouldn't want to rule these possibilities out, if anyone of you have experience what I had as per above, but is due to bacteria, fungus etc, please let me know.

    First thing that come to mind is for me to dose the pond with Dimillin, I will do it with two dosages, 5 days X 2. Then do a round of Remedor. When I introduce new fishes, I will put the recommended dose of Kenkona. I hope by doing all these, I will get rid of parasites, bacteria and viruses. What do you think guys? Will this be an OK set of procedures or anyone has any other suggestion? Cuold flukes caused instance itchiness upon contact with our skin?

    I am open to discussion and suggestions.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • farikfarik March 2012
    Posts: 317
    bro Shukri,
    prior to the fishes died, you could ask whether did they do any renovation or works in the pond, from your description it has got something to do with some chemicals.... upon contact it irritates the skin...ie like allergy....,the other microrganism takes time to haave an effect.
    Just my 1 cent....
  • farikfarik March 2012
    Posts: 317
    this is just like CSI.....
  • DanleeDanlee March 2012
    Posts: 694
    Bro Shukri,

    If it is not too costly, It may be better to throw away all the filter media and thoroughly clean the pond with Chrolox or chroline powder and start from fresh again. I really do not think PP & Dimilin could do the job if the culprits are very potent parasite, bacteria, or worst still, some chemicals.
  • JamesJames March 2012
    Posts: 1,964
    Bro Shukri, I would suggest getting rid of all filter materials too. It's not worth risking trying to clean these, especially J mat.... they are impossible to clean. Even the dirt is hard to thoroughly wash off, so bacteria, parasite even harder...

    U remember Daniel and I had a bad experience with infected kois from Atari. Well, I threw away all my filter materials. Daniel didn't at the time and he had a second round of casualty.

    So best to take precaution then to cure.. as the saying goes la..
  • Kelvin86Kelvin86 March 2012
    Posts: 301
    Try using Clorox? Heavy dosage, does that work better?
    - Aquatic Kingdom -
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D[Deleted User] March 2012
    Posts: 0
    chemicals...surely...removed everything in the filter...double or triple wash the pond and filter chamber using chlorine powder.bro kelvin,clorox also can.fill it back and let it run for few weeks and re-check water parameters..thats my 2 and 1/2 cent..but hey...am still new...lol
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D[Deleted User] March 2012
    Posts: 0
    maybe some clay will help to removed any chemical after the 100% wash...
  • idrisidris March 2012
    Posts: 1,182
    bro shukri..if that is my pond i will do as below:
    1. drain everything and let the pond dry for a week under the hot sun..hope its not raining...some bacteria/parasite could not live without water...so there goes ur first batch of bad stuff
    2. remove all the filter media and dont reus it again. took out all the pump, uv light or portable instrumentation out and wash it with detergent(strong one) if possible kasi rendam and soak for 2-3 days..
    3. then fill up water until maximum level and pour sufficient clorox..if you go to big hardware shop you could asked for a "rig wash".. there are many type.. asked for the yellow colour one...this type is very strong that can make our eyes blind..use this with full face protection..we use this in offshore on the oil rig...better soak it for 3 days and im pretty sure everything inside there will die!!!
    4. start fresh as though you having new pond..drain the water and flush it sufficiently...put water and use cuka or pineaple to neutralize any chemical content...
    5. the next step is the new pond syndrome..good luck with this...anyway what i wrote above is not because of my koi keeping experience but using common sense and logic thinking only...no ordinary bacteria/parasite or even virus can survive with strongest rig wash..i wish you good luck on this...
    Post edited by idris at 2012-03-22 01:09:36 am
  • farikfarik March 2012
    Posts: 317
    Bro idris,
    This is the sort of chemicals that is toxic to the organisms and also very toxic to us....the residues can irritate the skin upon contact and it is hard to neutralize these chemicals...acetic acid (cuka) will not be able to cover it.

    Bro shukri,
    Another way to neutralize the chemicals and at the same time kill any microbes is using the ozone generator...can give it a try.
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D[Deleted User] March 2012
    Posts: 0
    bRO idris,

    rig wash is too strong..that 1 can even removed you eye not just blind you... :-)) ...its for removing oil.
  • idrisidris March 2012
    Posts: 1,182
    Oh ya ka...hahahah..tq bro farik and bro Ronnie. Understood now..so even Cuka could not able to cover it..so my common sense become nonsense..hehe.. : ) good luck abg shukri on solving the problem...
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D[Deleted User] March 2012
    Posts: 0
    bro idris,

    it make sense only in your term,NUKE the whole pond version is too risky.hehe...
  • NeliNeli March 2012
    Posts: 1,205
    Bro shukry,
    For media like Jap mats, I would use spirit of salt ( or hydrochloric acid.)
    It will remove all the biofilm in seconds and kill everything.It is not poisonous to koi too.
    U find it here in most supermarkets.
    I would not use it in any material that contains calcium...only on plastic material...it will dissolve the Ca.
    I use it to clean my airstones too. I immerse them for 3-4 sec in it, while connected to the air...it cleans them like magic, and then drop them in the pond...
    H acid is found in our stomach too.
    Ladies are good at cleaning things...He he he!
  • ShukriShukri March 2012
    Posts: 4,881
    Thanks you guys.......I am considering what you guys are saying. A lot of information here.
    I have only up till end of the month to make sure the fishes are in........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership