coral media filter
  • mustainemustaine March 2012
    hi, can i use this as media filter? thanks
    [IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/muaz/DSC00679.jpg[/IMG]
  • kominatokominato March 2012
    you could break it up into smaller pieces, put it inside a "net basket" and into the filter compartment
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2012
    Yes, break it up. But it's more advisable to use oyster shells ( you can get at a koi dealer).
    Even if you want to use corals, it is not advisable to use these kind (unless you yourself collected from the sea and soaked it for a long time) as the ones bought as ornaments may contain preservation chemicals etc.. Also, DO NOT use only corals or oyster shells as the main bio media. They are only for buffering. It may not be sufficient to use alone :)
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    can coral reduce nitrate ? not effective ?
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2012
    No, no filter media can reduce nitrate exept water changes and an ozone system (but very costly) Just more water changes. But of course if your filtration is good, your nitrate and ammonia levels should be low unless you overstock vry badly.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    It is possible that my pond have a crystal clear pool of water, but suffers high nitrite/ammonia problem?? thanks :)
  • adleeadlee March 2012
    yes bro mustaine... u can have high nitrate or ammonia problem in a crystal clear water... u should read more about " the nitrogen cycle" in pond system to get a better view on how these things works.. google it.

like bro CA said. removing nitrate from partially water change is a common practice... but as we know plant also thriving from nitrate. Most of dedicated japkoi pond will not use plant as their filter media but in your case is more of a water garden.. so u can option the usage of water plants. or u can read bout "anoxic filtration" by dr. kevin novak
  • HDCuHDCu March 2012
    It is not true that no filter media can reduce nitrate. A denitrifier is a simple device with any filter that can reduce nitrate aside from plants. Water change is much faster and healthier though.
  • mustainemustaine May 2013
    do it's enough to depend on biofilter to get crystal clear water? my intention to put activated carbon as it can give crystal clear water..
  • lautslauts May 2013
    You will need a lot of carbon for pond use. Carbon cannot filter away fines from wastes so may not give you crystal clear water if your mech filters are not up to mark. Would be good to use carbon during initial set up to extract any chemicals from new pond coatings, new filter mats etc but not efficient to use over long term. Remember to remove whenever using medications.

ts

• mustainemustaine June 2013
    so the sequence of media filter :
    1)green mats (hard and soft)
    2)bio rings+ bio balls
    3)activated carbon
    4)back to pond

ok ka this setup?
  • mustainemustaine October 2013
    I have a stupid question but it always bugs me so I got to ask. I do noticed that inside my blue box filter , there are a lot of brown stuff at the side and the bottom where i put the bio ring ... How do I know If my bio filter is working?
  • ray2kray2k October 2013
    For crystal clear water you need to remove the things in the water clouding the water.

Typically, you can do this using mechanical filtration such as brushes and mats. If your pond is not mature, it is likely to also suffer green water (algae). UV light is very effective for this.

Get the above right, you will have very clear water. But it doesn't mean your water is ideal for your fish.

You will also need to get the pH stable which is where your coral or oyster shells come in.

Then to remove your fish wastes, you need your biological filter to work. Your biological filter will house the beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia generated by the fish into nitrites and finally nitrates. In theory, your coral could also double as the house for the beneficial bacteria to grow but you'd probably need a lot as they are less efficient in terms of surface area for the bacteria to grow. Your choice of bio-rings is fine.

Your target parameters(if your bio filter is working properly) should be:
    Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    pH = 7.3-7.8 and stable. Not changing daily by more than 0.5

You can remove the nitrates by water changes.
  • niveknivek October 2013
    Nowadays there are chem-zorb, phos-zorb, chemipure etc that can be used to remove nitrates and phosphates. These needs to be replaced when required.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership