many of my koi will flash shortly after eating..
  • YLLiauYLLiau February 2012
    any bros & sis have the same problem in pond?
  • idrisidris February 2012
    nope..only when i change water bro...
  • monscinemonscine February 2012
    Bro YLLiau,

I don't know how is your pond along with its filtration system. I try to figure out what happen is that the level of ammonia/nitrate/nitrite in your water rising up after you feed the kois. That's what make them flashing.

If this true, then it means your filtration system may not enough to handle or to process the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite which will raise as the result of you feed the kois.
    bro Monscine, absolutely right!! i knew my fitration system is failure and i did a very big mistake and dint take seriously for my filtration system (only 2~3T) of my pond (22T included filtration system) during built up time on previous due to space constraint and family members %*&^&(^%%#&!. but i really dont know, the ammonia will cause the flashing too (i tot only parasits). beginning till now, to maintain the level of ammonia/nitrate/nitrite,my pond was direclty refilled with tap water (15~20%) daily & grow plants in filtration system (additional process to absorb the ammonia) and changing the 20~30% fresh water weekly.. my pond also congested all the while :)
  • ikankoikauikankoikau February 2012
    Bro Liau,
    Did you cx your water parameters? Ammonia and nitrite can cause flashing. Beside parasite, sudden change of PH also can cause flashing. You will only know when you have conducted the water test.

Normally kois will not flashing right after feeding. After an hour or so, when they started releasing their waste then only ammonia will present. My worry is that while eating, ammonia or nitrite already present. Water test before and a few hours after meal will draw a better picture.

Regards
    Hi Capt, i just measured the PH is staying at 7.2 before and after meal (1hr) .. FYI, it is alit improved the flashing issue after i treated the pond with the Pottasiun on last week. i will monitor it while this weekend. BTW, do you have any suggestion/method to reduce the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite from this limited filtration system? FYI, daily feeding meal only 200gm x 3 times,but for around 50 kois. L-)
  • ikankoikauikankoikau February 2012
    Bro,
    50 kois for 22T pond certainly is overstocking with filter only 2-3T. Maybe you have mix sizes kois but still way above normal stock. For a limited space, Bakki Shower is one solution but as you already know, it won't look good unless you an hide it some where. Bakki Shower can degas Ammonia which will result less nitrite and nitrate. Also it's a good source of aeration and cooling. External filter is another option.

Another option is to have water change routine, maybe 10-15 percent daily if may suggest. Lower down the number of kois certainly helps. Reduce feeding helps too but this might end up with skinny kois. So the options is all up to you. I would personally carry out water parameters check every day to know wx the filter is capable of handling your normal feeding. Then take the best and nessasary actions.

Regards

Tks and appreciated your advice. bro capt. i wud be taking necessary actions for my pond and water parameters... hmm''' it is hard to stop the habit for buying new fish (but till now, i doubt anyone of us could do it ??)... just sharing,this is a link of my humble pond,
  • ShukriShukri February 2012
    Bro YLLIU,
    If the flashing occurs only after feeding and stop after a brief period, then I believe you need not lose sleep about the whole thing. Sometimes due to the food, kois can flash in order to clear their gills due to the food that they ate.....
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Tks bro Shukri. do you think the raining water can cause the flashing issue too ?
    Rain water has known to cause abrupt pH down.......so it could be possible.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi Bro Capt & Shukri, i just noticed tat only those ''habit'' Kois like to rub their face in underneath of pond..i really want to help them wash their face with Dettol. :-?
    You better bowl and have a close check up on those kois........could be parasite!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership