Mixing Kois with other fish?
  • tosaitosai October 2010
    Can I have other fishes in the pond together with my kois? e.g. Arowana, Plecos, Gold fish etc........
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    The answer is 'YES.' but for the more serious hobbyists, this practice is however not recommended.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • ashfaqashfaq December 2010
    Gold fishes are not recommend, i had a huge Oranda, size may be around 6-7 inches. I put her in my POND for just an hour, when i came back after 1 hour, i saw her with NO tail, No eyes, NO stomach, the gold fish was eaten by kois. It was horrible to see the scene.
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • farikfarik December 2010
    Wah , the kois must be starving....did you have any other species of fishes besides kois in the pond...so far my friends goldfish and the kois are ok in one pond...
    Nope i feed them 2 times a day and Dont have any fishes except kois.
    Thanks,
  • JamesJames December 2010
    Could it be the work of cats? Since gold fish tend to like swimming on the surface.
  • SBSRIDHARSBSRIDHAR December 2010
    Bro James,

It happen in my pond also. It happen twice in my pond. I use to feed my kois twice some times thrice. I don't know only they are eating gold fish. Some time back i had one or two tiger sharks were in my pond. Again i had tinfoil barb tail fish was in my pond now it is in my glass tank. But nothing happen to these fishes. They attack and eat gold fish only. It might be, the gold fish is very soft nature and it can not swim fast like other fishes. Why i have tried all those fishes in my pond. If i have put any fish in the pond, it will grow fast and big . Because we are feeding more in the pond comparing to the aquarium tanks.

S.B. Sridhar
    Post edited by SBSRIDHAR at 2010-12-11 09:07:46 am
  • JamesJames December 2010
    Bro Sridhar, this is funny because my uncle had gold fish in his koi pond too, and they can co-exist. Only problem was the gold fish love to surface and is always victim to cats. He doesn't feed his kois that often. Only max twice a day.
    No brother, i dont have any cats and i have seen from my own eyes while eating.
    Thanks,
    wah...like that means you guys have really kois that loves the taste of goldfish flesh...here our kois and goldfish co-exist really good as my friend has different types of goldfish mix single tail,oranda,ranchu and other varieties living happily with a bunch of kois.some of them also have parrot fish together in the pond and i believe the parrot fish is even more fierce tha the kois.
  • nocturnalnocturnal December 2010

<blockquote rel="ashfaq">Gold fishes are not recommend, i had a huge Oranda, size may be around 6-7 inches. I put her in my POND for just an hour, when i came back after 1 hour, i saw her with NO tail, No eyes, NO stomach, the gold fish was eaten by kois. It was horrible to see the scene.</blockquote>

<blockquote rel="ashfaq">No brother, i dont have any cats and i have seen from my own eyes while eating.</blockquote>

just to clarify... these are two different situation?
    Oh brother, when i saw the half eaten fish, after an hour, there were few kois still trying for Gold fish meat,which was floating aside, which i think was Tasty to them :D . After that i just leave that gold fish in the pond itself, coz they were trying a new dish. :D :D

Sorry for the out of context statement, i am not a native English speaker but trying to speak. :-(
    Thanks,
    Post edited by ashfaq at 2010-12-11 11:25:20 am
  • nocturnalnocturnal December 2010
    Oh ok, when u said "it was horrible to see the scene" i thought why on earth did u still put them together. now after ur clarification that ur ok with the kois trying "a new dish" things are clearer to me :-O

like what was said before, we here in Malaysia have many ponds having kois co-exist with other species, even the bite size guppy happily swims along side kois here :)

don't worry about ur english here, it's not a speak proper english forum :) we're here to enjoy kois & exchange knowledge about keeping them. my english aren't that good either! :D

Post edited by nocturnal at 2010-12-11 11:45:55 am
    Wow brother, thats cool, that even a guppy can swim freely with kois, cant believe it. May be Indian kois are ferocious and Malaysians are friendly.

Thanks bro, for understanding!!!!!
    Thanks,
  • cookcpucookcpu December 2010
    I have koi with goldfish before. The koi attack my pearlscale gold fish and ranchu gold fish.

But they didn't attack my two black ranchu and ruykin goldfish. It seem like small koi will attack the goldfish in my case as the bigger koi just leave the goldfish alone.
  • AnuarAnuar December 2010
    My wife's uncle put a couple of red tail catfish which are already close to 3 ft and he witnessed one of the catfish swallowed whole one of his koi about the size of 40 cm. He said he lost 4-5 prior to that and had no idea where the kois have gone to.

In my case, I have a parrot fish which is the remaining pioneer of the pond. It has been close to 3 yrs
    Wah bro anuar,
    that red tail catfish is carnivorous....can grow some more....last time i had one but when it outgrew my aquarium i gave it away....very huge appetite...
    Bro Farik, I had one too, fed him chicken liver and he had an accelerated growth. Even though he was gentle (he fed from hand), I was getting scared and gave him away to some contractor. Also had this crazy idea of keeping arapaima (before starting with koi, I was considering keeping some freaks in the pond, I.e. Stingray, sturgeon, gar, and arapaima - but the koi poison got into me first... Maybe one day...
  • PH8PH8 December 2010
    Bro Anuar, before changing to arapaima, must change house first leh. They can grow to 7-13 feet long. Can't even turn in your current pond!! Haha. I have always marvelled at the majesty of the arapaima too, but unfortunately although my pond is big enough for them, I don't think they are very friendly towards koi. Maybe one day if all my koi died, I would consider this... :-)

I love the beauty of stingrays too, but I think they thrive in lower pH water as compared to koi, so again no no.
    Post edited by PH8 at 2010-12-12 11:00:41 am
    Wah Bro Anuar,
    Catfish are carnivorous and you have put them with kois. Was those kois are Jap kois or local one????

Bro Paul,
    I am wondering, If your all kois died in future as you said wont you buy further???? or you will stop buying kois???
    Thanks,
  • PH8PH8 December 2010
    A difficult question to answer, bro. Let me put it this way. You live in one of the 2 powerhouse economies of Asia, so you may not notice it, but the rest of the world is going through a very tough time. I am especially bearish about the US and Europe. Watch the next 2 years, it will be like nothing we have ever seen before in our lifetimes. Time to accumulate some Silver! :-)
    Thanks for the input bro, i got it.
    Thanks,
    Bro Paul/Ashfaq,
    Yes, must find bigger pond for this. No doubt they are carnivorous, I am wondering how come they could co-exist in harmony, i.e. if you go to Aquaria, you could see the arapaima + red tail catfish + stingray + other smaller fresh water fishes swimming together. Of courselah cannot mix with kois.
  • lautslauts December 2010
    Guys,

I have been keeping fishes for many years , as long as i can remember. I recall i fed my local carps ,guppies/mosquito fish , as they were kept with lampams,sultan fish, temoleh, kelah and other fast water river fishes. Then i started to add Japanese kois and to my surprise , they do not eat guppies. Then after giving up locals and concentrating on Japanese only, my old pond was infested with guppies , even the guppy babies are safe with Japanese kois. But some how slow moving goldfishes like the ping pongs, telescopic eyes are always in danger of harassment and likely killed by kois.

rgd
    ts
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Another thing to consider is that Koi can interbreed with gold fish, and those are things not easily controlled in a pond. Hybrids are produced that can also breed. Those hybrids are much tougher health wise than koi. So perhaps that is a fact to consider when mixing Koi and gold fish. I had some Tanchos in my pond , which I could not figure out if they are koi or gold fish... Then I realised what the problem was.
    http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/3271/mural.jpg
    Post edited by PH8 at 2011-06-08 04:16:36 pm
    Attachments
    mural.jpg 9K
  • st8800st8800 June 2011
    Actually it's true, koi will attack goldfish. I put in 4 ranchus 2 years ago in my pond. The smaller ones got bitten until fins and tail gone... only the biggest piece managed to escape unscathed. However, that piece also died a month later due to depth of pond and water pressure.
    Best
    Spencer
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    So can Arowana and Kois be kept together since Arowana thrives in PH of 6 while Koi thrives in PH of 7.2-7.8?
  • JamesJames June 2011
    I have seen an avid hobbyist (sifu level) mix koi and arowana in 1 of his ponds.
  • ashfaqashfaq June 2011
    Hi bro Wilgan,
    yes we can mix koi with Arowanas, but the condition is , koi should be bigger than arowana Mouth or else it will sapu or will kill.
    Thanks,
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    Thanks for the replies. But will the higher PH kill the arowana or have to lower PH to around 6.5?
  • ChengAunChengAun June 2011
    The arowana's prefer ph between 6.8-7.5. So its fine to mixwith koi's in terms of ph
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
  • DanleeDanlee June 2011
    I have a 5' acquarium next to my main pond and the same koi pond water actually circulate through this acquarium. I used to keep arowana there and there was no problem.
  • ashfaqashfaq June 2011
    Kindly check this foto, its a pond of hobbyist who is in Malaysia his name is Dr Nagendran

He is having kois+Arowanas+other fishes

koianswers.com/discussion/download/3316/koi Arowana.jpg
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/3317/koi arowana2.jpg
    Thanks,
  • WilganWilgan June 2011
    Just one more question. Does the arowana feed on pellets too? Or have to feed with feeders?
    You can train the arowana's to eat pellets. But this is very hard to do so. My old silver arowana's main feed was pellets and feeders once a week. My new arowana eats feeders only.
  • nocturnalnocturnal June 2011
    I've visited Abang Burt Neo who feed his pond full of Arowana with pallets.

love the new signature CA :)
    Post edited by nocturnal at 2011-06-12 03:08:35 am
    hahaha
    :-D
  • DanleeDanlee June 2011
    I have fed both my arowana with purely fish pellets and dry prawn... that's the only way my wife allow me to keep arowana... hehe. What I did was to drop fish pellet in the acquarium shop and see which arowana ate it.. and that's how I chose my arowana
    Post edited by Danlee at 2011-06-12 03:18:14 am
  • StevieStevie June 2011
    That's brilliant Danlee. I am going to get one arowana and the unlucky one that eat it will end up in my pond. The other half does not allow any aquarium inside the house :-(
  • YamatoYamato June 2011
    Stevie,
    The other half is called the "better" half. :-))
  • nk31784nk31784 June 2011
    I have koi in a 45 tall fish tank i put her in 2 years ago and she is in there with tetras a pleco and fantail goldfis and some other random fishes they all get along fine!!!!(although when plecos get to big they try to eat smaller fish but my koi is about 10 inches)
  • WinlimWinlim June 2011
    Kois can definitely be mixed with other fishes. I have mixed it with 'longkang' fish, discus and gold fish. I also know someone who mixes his with arrowana
  • ShukriShukri June 2011
    Wooow! Kois in India must be aggressive and canibalistic........must be due to the weather and the water I suppose! 8-)
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • weihanweihan June 2011
    erm in my opinoin i dont think arowana and koi can be keep in the same pond or sharing the same water, as arowana prefer acidic condition water while koi prefer alkaline water
  • eugeneeugene February 2012
    Hi all, what about turtles? Can you have say a turtle in your fish pond? I've seen some koi ponds with turtles (i.e. Koi pond at the One-Utama carpark?).
  • SRathaSRatha February 2012
    Actually considering putting my 2 arowanas in mt koi pond... But I don't know if 2 arowanas can co-exist in one pond.
  • wongyengwongyeng February 2012
    Perhaps putting plecos and clown loaches to clean up the leftovers would be ok but to put predatory fish I think dangerous because you may see beautiful bodies being scratched, fins/tails being torn, worst... eyes being eaten up :(
  • aiman_shawalaiman_shawal September 2012
    I keep 2 showa and 1 super chagoi along with my marble clarias (albino catfish), they co exist very well. But i feed my koi 4-5 times a day. My vendor fed his koi's 6 times a day. Maybe your koi got real hungry :)
  • wongyengwongyeng September 2012
    Attack of the zombie Kois ?
  • jamiltjamilt September 2012
    i bought a 4 inch arowana in bukit merah, put it in my pond, next day its gone.
  • niveknivek September 2012
    Bro jamilt, I think kingfisher or heron already makan the 4 inch arowana since they're top feeders andalways swimming on top. Easy target.
  • ChengAunChengAun September 2012
    Uncle Jamil, its a well known fact that arowana's jump, especially when scared or having water problems (in this case the fish must have been scared by the much larger koi's)
  • aiman_shawalaiman_shawal September 2012
    Same problem for me in brunei, The sarawak hornbill will eat my shallow water pond fishes. I keep my Koi's in deep water...
  • cubercuber September 2012
    Are we talking about nishikigoi? never heard koi that will devour goldfish, I thought they can co-exist in a same pond, which I saw a lot
  • e4gler4ye4gler4y September 2012
    How about disease from other species? KHV only affects carps, but does it only exist among carps?
  • jamiltjamilt September 2012
    bro nivek n bro chengaun, yes, the arowana swam gracefuly on top.
  • MikeMike September 2012
    eugene, I have two green tortoise in my pond and they are okay with the rest of my koi.
  • TaiFeiTaiFei June 2013
    List of species that I've experienced mixing with kois :

1. Giant Gourami - Lives in harmony with kois when young but becomes territorial when it becomes adult.

2. Red tail cat fish - As long your koi can't fit into its mouth. Feed it earlier than the kois with cheaper fish food, later start feeding your kois with expansive koi food like hikari. By then, the red tail catfish will be full and does not vacuum much of the koi food. Red tail catfish is not for forever, relocate it when its mouth becomes larger than your kois.

3. Clarias - Ok with kois, but appetite almost like chagois. When it vaccums too much, time to send it to the other pond as a treat for the red tail catfish.

4. Arowanas - Silver Aros are the best IMHO. Put it only when there is too much longkang/guppies in your pond. Mix well with kois but sometimes they do jump.

5. Goldfish - Comets are the best. Unable to get a tanco kohaku? Get a tanco comet. Haha.

6. Plecos (bandaraya) - Be careful with the larger ones, if your koi is something wrong and starts to parking, the plecos will try to suck the koi's body outer liquid.

7. Climbing perch (puyu) - OK with kois, as long the water level in your pond is not the same height as your ground..otherwise it will climb out. Get the Malaysian ones not the extra large Siamese climbing pearch.

8. Pengasius (patin) - No problems at all with kois even it is larger than your kois. Hi fin, short body pengasius are nice. Blends well with kois.

9. Arapaima - Similar like Arowanas. Start with a small size araipama less than 10cm (can get cheap at Jalan Pasar). It helps to control your ikan longkang/guppies. Relocate when it becomes aggressive..roughly around 1.2m.

10. Clown Loach - Nice bottom dwellers, keep more than 5 clown loach in the pond because they prefer to swim in groups. Shares the same food as your plecos..Hikari algae wafers or any leftover veges. Get the Borneo clown loaches..they have stronger colours.

11. Fly river turtle - No problem with kois when young but becomes aggresive when it is big (around 30cm length). Likes to nip off kois tail when big.

12. Sturgeon - Mix well with kois. They don't share the same food. Need to mix your autofeeder with koi food and sturgeon's food (Hikari Massivore or Hikari Sturgeon).

13. Masheer - Ok with kois. Just need a stronger blower.

14. Baby Tilapias - not really into it but sometimes as a treat to the aros in the koi pond

15. Malaysian Archer Fish - No problem, put in more than 4..but less than 7 of this fishes. Swim in groups.

16. Fresh water green spotted puffer fish - Given as gift from my nephew, lasted about 2 weeks. OK with kois but probably the puffers are brackish types. This was before the internet age. Not much information on the species back them.
    Caught common freshwater puffers in Malaysian rivers when I was a kid. Thought it would be alright.

17. Bala Shark - Ok with kois. Surprised to find out in my pond,I don't know who put it in . I suspect one my kuli put it in the pond (probably don't want to keep it already) but everyone denies.

Anyway..all the fishes above are no longer with my kois except some small plecos and climbing perch. All are given away. I get boring with them after some time..some died, some are merely just syiok looking at them at the LFS and buy! Nothing can match pleasure and satisfaction of keeping kois.

But..

Currently I'm planning to add freshwater stingrays to my koi pond. Just to add an extra Walao Wei effect for my visitors. Did some search on the net, seems quite ok. Planning to get a small one to try first. I came across a video on youtube of kois and stingrays living in harmony:

Post edited by TaiFei at 2013-06-19 05:48:23 am

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership