Need Help for Constructing a 50feet Length*30 feet Width* 3 Feet height Koi Pond
  • ashfaqashfaq January 2012
    Brothers,
    Please help me in finalizing the design for the POND, its not for me, but for a hobbyist to whom i am going to construct a POND. If any brother can draw simple design for me, it will be helpful for me to construct here.

Also please suggest the PUMP Capacity for the pond, how many pumps should i installed,etc

How many capacity of water will this pond holds?

How many kois i can hold in this pond?

Yous suggestions are highly appreciated
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Post edited by ashfaq at 2012-02-05 07:15:29 am
  • ikankoikauikankoikau January 2012
    Bro Ashfaq,

To get in tonnage, just a simple math. (50ft x 50ft x 3ft) X 28.3= 212 tonne of water. It's a huge pond bro. Not sure of filter is included.

How many pump and output depend on the turn over rate prefered. Min is once hourly slower is once in 3 hours. But for such a big pond, once per 5 hours should be fine provided it is not overstocked.

Design will be difficult as the location and preference will dictate many variation. The hobbyist will have to give a concept he/she prefers.

I myself have built and modified many ponds for friends. I have my own workers to build ponds but it was done quietly subject to my offdays and my flight schedule. It's so much cheaper compared to what koi pond experts normally charge. And forget about hiring normal contractors who don't keep koi or have a pond as they can never build a good koi pond IMHO.

The material in this forum is good enough for you to design the system for your friend. Just try it bro, it's fun and challenging especially when you try new findings from our bros and sister here in this forum.

Good luck.
    Thanks brother,
    Thanks for the calculation.
    Filter Chambers isnt included in it, so no problem in adding additional space for filters.

If design for small pond is implemented, i can implement for this POND :)

Brother can you please PM your charges for this size pond, so that i will ask my friend if he is ok with it?

Thanks,
    Bro,
    It's not that simple to quote a price. A lot of things have to be considered. Certainly I don't want to calculate wrongly as the profit margin is not big like normal contractor or pond expert.

But from my past experience, a friend of mine asked quotation from 3 contractors for 12x10x3ft pond. The price quoted was RM 23k, 24k and 26k. Koi pond expert asked for RM40k. Surely the contractor can't build as good as the koi pond expert. But you can even find contractors who can build for RM14k but with mostly "rubbish" system. I built the pond(all in including water fall and good equip) for RM18.5k. My own pond was my first project. So from the figure, the margin is small and wrong calculation can cause me a Sakai nissai. :-(

Any contractor will have to go to the side location in order to quote. But for me, I don't do this everyday. Only when I have loose roster or pre plan leave. More on self satisfaction with enough profit to cover my time and energy spent.

Please don't take this info as I am promoting myself as pond builder. My primary job is still and always flying people here and there :-D Only when I feel up to the task and have spare time then I will "turun padang"(get myself involved).
    Post edited by ikankoikau at 2012-01-27 06:21:25 pm
    Thats cool brother.
    You did help your friend at reasonable cost like me who is helping my friend.
    No problem, we are here to share what we know, whether in selecting kois or for building ponds and filters, we are ONE :)
    Thanks,
  • ThiamHwaThiamHwa January 2012
    I am not so sure whether a 50'x 50' size pond is practical or not for a hobbyist's pond.
    Firstly, the viewing and netting of the koi will be a problem. Secondly, treatment to the pond will be expensive.
    Hence, if it was me, I would sub-divide the 50'x 50'into 3 separate individual pond i.e.
    1 no. 50'x 20 'pond and 2 nos. 25' x 20' pond with the remaining 50' x 10' area for the filtration system.
    With this option, one has the flexibility to utilise these individual pond for different purposes. Thank you.
    Post edited by ThiamHwa at 2012-01-27 07:49:59 pm
  • tpsmaxwelltpsmaxwell January 2012
    Hi Ashfaq,
    Bro ThiamHwa has some points there to consider seriously. Big is good but able to maintain good water condition is most important. Design the pond so to enable efficient collection of fish wastes and debits. Simple, easy and efficient daily cleaning/flushing routine. Try to design the pond and piping system with minimum dead spots as possible. Consider the long term cost to maintain and operate the koi pond. Do it right the first time.
    Post edited by tpsmaxwell at 2012-01-27 08:38:55 pm
    Brother Thiamwa,
    Very nice suggestion (Y).
    Definitely i will drop the propose feet and go for as you said. Yes what you said is true, treating the entire pond will be a problem.

I have designed 2 pond structures very badly, this is what i was planning to go for.
    Any changes and modifications are highly appreciated

www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5652/design1.png
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5653/desin2.png
    Thanks,
    Which design should i opt for 2 ponds?
    1st one or 2nd one
    Thanks,
    Bro,
    Even 50x20 is already too big to net a koi. Not sure this is for residential or public or open pond. If for residential, like what bro TH has said, it's good to have two or three ponds with independent system. I would suggest one 50x15, 50x15 and 15x10. The hobbyist can do wonders with these ponds. Unless the hobbyist does not bother to keep high grade koi or not planning to groom kois from small sizes, than 50x50 can be built with few bridges across the pond or with a few partition in it.
    Brother this is for residential purpose to groom kois from Tosai to nisai,sansai or jumbos :)
    I am sure, NO high grade kois will be kept in there.

Brother can you suggest me which design or method should i opt for this pond?

if 50*50*3 is constructed then i will suggest my friend to go for bridge as you suggested which will look good as seen in Japanese Koi Gardens
    Thanks,
  • ThiamHwaThiamHwa January 2012
    Bro,
    If possible, please post some pictures of the proposed koi pond site and it's surrounding so that one may suggest better advise for the pond design.
  • JamesJames January 2012
    Bro Ashfaq, seems the pond is just being used as a water feature. U might wan to consider firmly the purpose of this pond. If it is indeed just a water feature, then the kois will be secondary and u will want to concentrate on the aesthetics of this pond. Koi ponds are essentially boring with unsightly filtration systems and this forces people to appreciate the jewels in the pond. But if the kois r going to be so-so, it will be a double whammy of unsightly pond and not so nice kois.
  • DAVIDSOONDAVIDSOON January 2012
    Good Day Brother Ashfag ,

Prior anything , it would be good to clarify a few things .

1 ) What would the " water at source " be ??
    Well or ground water ?? Stream water ?? or city water straight from the tap ??
    What's the parameter reading of the water to be used over your end ??

2 ) Some parts of India is unique . While some of the tropical countries goes through with only one climate or season , some parts of India goes through 6 climatical changes a year , or we called it ... 6 seasons in a year , unlike some countries that goes through the normal 4 seasons , Winter , Spring , Summer and Autumn .

Knowing the climate and various climatical temperatures would help ensure different handling due to climate change or environmental reasons . A Shallow pond might work well with some hobbyists here in the tropical region , but .. might not work well everywhere . I hope this is taken into consideration .

3 ) Placement , size and shape .

An aesthetic pond is one that can blend with the house and surrounding . It can come in any shape or sizes , for as long it is placed right and can blend in nicely with the surroundings .
    Have you check with your friends and see if he had any idea how he wanted to have his pond layout for his garden ??
    It might not be easy to net any fishes in a wide pond , but believe a Siene net like what the guys in Japan used for mud pond harvest can comes in handy , besides having the normal long round nets or socks .

4 ) Budget .

Always set leeways for construction cost going over the budget . It would be easier for your friend to detail his budget on this construction , than you quoting him something competitive and run into the red when you realised there's more than just basic estimation .

Lastly , if you are thinking of the bay filteration system , the cost of J-mats and decking work can be quite costly . Check your estimates only after you can worked out the number of mats needed to fill up the chambers , as well as the various decking work he might want . Concrete slab ( too heavy ) or wooden decks ??

I hope this help .

David
    The Best is Yet to Come .
    Brother Thiamwa,
    Sure when i go there will take the propose site pictures, so that helpful.

Brother james,
    No this is not water featured pond, its a Koi pond only, first i want to test with some so-so kois, once pond is matured say after a year or 2, i will introduce some good quality kois.

Good Day Brother Day,

1. Water would be well water its natural resource, parameters need to test yet

2. No Brother, we havent taken this shallow pond concept in consideration, we are yet to decide on this. Here climate is like this , when summer reaches it reached max of 45 degree and in winter it reaches max of 14 degree at night in winter. most of the time sunny only.

3. Brother yes i did checked, he wanted me to design in best and easy way for maintenance purpose, regarding the pond layout, brother Radha and your design layout matches his taste :). the place is open ground and i personally need to visit the pond site yet, regarding the netting the fishes we are planning for partitioning sieve curtain between the pond and pull from one side to another side for catching the fishes, once they are near. But as brothers suggested here, we may plan for 2 or 3 ponds which will be easy to maintain.

4. Regarding the budget, I am doing this as free of cost to him for spreading the Koi and POND hobby in India, so i will not be quoting, what i know, he will also know about it. I wanted to expand this hobby here, so helping him for free of cost, so that i will also learn what and how BIG pond should be build with less maintanence.

Regarding the bay filteration system, if cost of jap matts is so high for Huge chamber, then we will consider few jap matts and then some additional matts + sieve + lava rocks which is available in India. We will go for some wooden decks which is easily available here in India.

If not bay filteration system, is there any other filter system which is effective and best?

What about Bead and sand filters?

I also feel bay system will be quite challenging for this huge pond, so i must consider small filter chambers or any external filters?

Brothers, We are yet to finalise this pond project, before that i am analysing what,how,how much,where and possible for this?
    Thanks,
    Post edited by ashfaq at 2012-01-28 06:44:13 am
  • ashfaqashfaq February 2012
    Hi Brothers,
    Here is the proposed site picture for the POND from the front view of the home.
    There is a little change in plan, like we will build in front of the HOME with the over bridge concept, not far away from the home as said earlier.

Height of the pond is Below Ground level 1.5 feet + upper ground level 1.5 feet so total 3 feet + 1 feet gap, which is total 4 feet height.

50L*3H*30W, please suggest the design now brothers, also we dont want pond like square shape, instead we want design of Oval shape. so that kois wont feel that there is NO end :).

I wanted to know size of the chambers with respective to Length*Width which we need to build and how many jap matts, what capacity of the PUMP should be used, how many inches of PVC pipes should we use, etc. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Post edited by ashfaq at 2012-02-06 09:27:06 am
  • ashfaqashfaq February 2012
    Please disregard this thread
    Thanks,
    Post edited by ashfaq at 2012-02-09 11:16:25 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership