A Cost Effective Way to Bring Down Water Temperature
  • JamesJames June 2012
    The holes are laser cut. Highly precise and made available to custom order sale. Made using flat stainless steel and then bent to form the more desirable square shape. I will also be making some ordinary piped ones.
  • MikeMike June 2012
    Nicely done James ...
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar June 2012
    Looking good. I wonder whats the cost like :-?
  • megatronmegatron June 2012
    Does it look heavy?
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • ikankoikauikankoikau June 2012
    I have been reading this thead with eagerness and waiting for aesthetically improved design. This one is not bad. But with the big bazooka diameter, can the water reach the top holes? How big is the pump needed to power this bazooka? Or should it be placed horizontally? pls update us once it has been tested bro. Thanks.
  • DRADRA June 2012
    Hi TS Lau,
    I am turning green with envy when reading the postings on how you guys have achieved chilled water. It nearly cost me a leg and an arm to buy the Artica chillers but definitely a leg and an arm when monthly electricity bills have to be paid. Well done.
    Regards
    Razif
  • mangkellmangkell June 2012
    Salam Dato' DRA,

Finally, a very much appreciated consolation from a well experience Chiller Guy towards a spray bar DIY. :-D Hee..Hee...

These respect each other 'ness are most welcome indeed... Motivates us really.

Nevertheless, the Battle of TOR-X™ vs Chiller will continue till reach winter temperature here in Kota Bharu...KaKaKa:-)) Tq
    Mickeyko Ducati-Kujamon Chagreemon Brabus#Sexy-Robust
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-06-28 11:59:06 pm
    Bro James,

You can have those Torna-X name for the cute s/steel for free...

Bcoz my TOR-X™ achieved some better result this morning 7:30am, air temp 4" above pond water level reduce significantly from 23.9°C to 23.2°C. This shows some chemistry is really cooking down there...

Full result within 3 days as told by Bro Lauts. Hence, I named her TOR-X™(pronounce Torex) as promised. He..He..\m/

Tq
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-06-29 11:23:07 am
  • DRADRA June 2012
    Salam Aznan
    Ha ha ha, not so fast. Am not throwing in the towel yet. I just read the entire thread, I did not realise that it is an Aaron/James invention and well accepted. Hope you get to a consistent temp of 24c, you will see your koi thrive. They will bulk up, shiroji and beni will improve by leaps and bounds.
    Regards
    Razif

• ShukriShukri June 2012
    I envy these guys...........I have already ordered my chiller.............. :-(
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • JamesJames June 2012
    Order belum bayar ok la...
  • lautslauts June 2012
    Dato,

Credits to Bro Aaron on the spray bar, that's where i first saw it , now it is used in many version in many ponds. Also to Bro Aznan for pushing it to sub 24C with his Tor-X. My earlier thought was 25C max due to very big variation between air temp at 33C. , now we have 23C :-D . It has disadvantages but for hobbyist with limited resources it is the way to go. At least it will bring down to a comfortable 25/26C.

ts
    Hi Guys,

The phrase "at the fraction of Chiller cost' is subjective.

Bro Lauts did mentioned that bcoz he choose to use an additional saperate pump. 1 Tsurumi per 3 bar set, now adding 2nd set & still counting.

For me, the additional cost for running TOR-X™ is actually ZERO... just fully utilized the limited source already have.

Bcoz of that, TOR-X™ technology can be sold for FREE. HeHe...

Just imagine... One day, most of the Koi Kichis pond water is sub 25C !!!. Previously enjoyed only by xpensive kois. Now, Most of kois can enjoy that also, being healthier, happier, bulkier & more polish. :0&

Current Grand Champion chilled kois beware... will be lots of challenge from spray bar kois in future koi show.....KaKaKa... :-))

After all, Benefits goes to Koi Community... Enjoy Tq
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-06-29 06:59:31 pm
  • cookcpucookcpu July 2012
    After Bro Aron who give me a sample of his spray bar. I realized how a lot of effort to make this spray bar.

My pond temperature drop to 28.6 C. This is because the spray bar is 50 mm and I have to use a reducer to attach it to my return pipe. As a result, the water pressure is not strong enough to push the water up to the top of the spray bar and push the water far away.

I need to cut the length of the spray bar and also make a same type of spray bar of 30 mm size. Then I can see which of this two is more effective for my pond.

But I am happy that the temperature goes down each day I test it. :-D
  • mangkellmangkell July 2012
    Bro cookcpu,

Good job on reaching 28.6C. That's more than 3° C drop from 32C from Singapore.

A news from India, Bro Ashfaq claimed his friend pond achieved 27.7C, That's from a hot climate of 33-38C.

A job well done Bros, for the koi community.

Keep us posted.

Tq :-D
    Bro mangkell, thank you. Your Tor-X is an encouragement.
    Seem like my pond temperature stay around 28.1 to 28.6C.
    Bro Cookcpu,

28.1 from 28.6 is a good improvement. And they stay in sub 28C is what really matter.

Nice result.

Tq ;-)
    Bro mangkell, thank you. In fact, I am thinking of adding one more spray bar or let the current spray to run 24 hrs. To see whether it will go lower than 28C.

Yes, I agree that sub 28C is the goal. :-D
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Brother William :-)
    Good to see yours working well, I actually did this and managed to come from 32c to 29c in one night. My setup is currently 2 spray bars per pump. Currently only using 1 of the 3 pumps I have in my clean chamber. Will fine tune this thing to make it look cleaner visually.

The only complain I have for this setup is the noise. If you can look past that, a worthy modification :-)
    Bro SRatha,

Great to hear that the spray bar lower 3C in one night. It take a while to go below 28C.

Mine just hit 27.9 C in the morning but now back up to 28.4 C.

Now I am testing it to run 24 hrs and see how low the temperature goes to.

The noise treat it as waterfall noise....help to calm one nerve. :)
    Dear SRatha & Cookcpu,

Nice update there :-D

Whoever dare to complain a rain shower sound as a ' noise', They should complain to God..HeHe :-))

Tq
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-07-17 07:29:59 pm
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Bro William,
    I went back to check on the same day (today) the temperature reads 28c flat! I am truly impressed. Mine is running for 2 days and tonight will be the second night, I remembered every time I sat near my pond, I would always sweat, but now I kid you not, I need like at least a light sweater :-)

Bro Mangkell :-)
    I guess we have to give up something to gain, so I installed a ball valve, whenever I sit next to the pond, I turn on the ball valve and the water redirects its path and straight into the pond. This drives me crazy less haha!

Ratha
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Good to see more bros discovering the benefits of having a spray bar . Including benefits to the owner of cooler pond area :) . 32 to 28c is quite an achievement bro William , SRatha, any stats to share like pond size, pumping capacity , pipes size etc.
    i noted that incoming water from source can be very hot , mine 32-35C. i located my pump intake near this incoming source to help reduce water temp. Personally it is more environment friendly , we can get use/adjust for the noise and vision loss. (Y)

thanks
    ts
  • KaajKaaj July 2012
    Bro Lau,
    You need to come over and help me set it up lah....How many liter pump do you reckon i need ???
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    I am already committed to a chiller, if not I can also try the TOR-X........ :-D
    Rain coat I already have.......Iama biker maaa!
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Bro Kaaj,

One Tsurumi , 150w enough with 2-3 vertical spray bars 1.5mm hole size on 20mm PVC. Use T and reducer to join and connect to pump outlet. Can get 25-26c . You DIYer mah , i remember your DIY skimmer bro :)>- Or order the TOR-X from bro Aznan , comes free with raincoat :-)) :-)) Can get 24-25c

koianswers.com/discussion/download/8156/Spray.JPG
    koianswers.com/discussion/download/8157/sprayside.JPG

ts
    I am using one Tusurumi 15 tons per hr pump. As my pvc pipe is 30mm and the spray bar is 50mm, I pressure I get from the pump is not strong enough.

After running the spray bar for 24 hrs, now I have a new low of 27.9 C. Maybe next round I will make 3 30 mm spray bar and using to two return pipe. Hopefully the temperature can go below 27 C.
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Man! Getting these kind of temperature drop in such as short time is real good....
    Keep up the good work guys. I hope it will spread to South Africa and else where, who knows........ (Y)
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-18 04:06:16 pm
  • idrisidris July 2012
    When I was in 2 weeks vacation, I did some DIY on this spray bar...but mine is not a normal spray bar...I adapt this from one of the koi farm in kl, modified and perfected...bro danlee, bro shukri and bro captain already see the unit....will post the picture later...the finding are as below..

18 ton pond- morning temparature 28 deg c..when install DIY shower now at 26 deg c
    Afternoon temparature 31 deg c...when install DIY shower now maintain at 28 deg c

What i can say, this is oly 1 set, I could install 3 set...the one set also is working only 70 % of its actual capabilities...The best part, u ave fully controll on the spray length ang the spray direction..this would eliminate problem of having your surrounding wet..

Cost- rm 30 per unit..
    Time to build one- 20 min

I post the picture later coz now using iPad...
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Mana it picture bro Idris, aiyo why take so long to reveal X( ;-) . Your temp from 31C to 28C ?? Your temp range 28 to 31C for water or atmosphere ? My spray bar is not glued to the T so can easily adjustable 360deg. Spray length also adjustable , just cover one bar with cap la to become 2 bar only :-)) . Like your idea , pict pls (Y)

ts
  • KaajKaaj July 2012
    Bro Lau,
    Tsurumi 150w = 15000 ltr per hour ? Thats damn fast. It would double my TOR immediately. I will DIY today lah....bored in the office.
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Kaaj,

The 150w is 12ton per hrs , std Tsurumi. just nice output for 2-3 20mm pipes. Enjoy drilling the 1.5mm hole :-)) :-)) Get one of your workers to DIfY, ( Do It for YOU) :-)) :-))

ts
  • idrisidris July 2012
    Bro lau..water temperature..I do not have specific thermometer to read ambient temperature..
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2012
    Hi Sifu's,
    A new spray bar:
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8243/Spray Bar.JPG
    Did slight modification in my fountain and convert to Bakki shower. Would put in bio ball this weekend.
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8244/Bakki Shower.JPG
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/8245/Bakki Shower (2).JPG
    After 30 hours of installation, just now did the readings @ night 8pm.
    28C v 30 C original :-D
    Would do a reading at 8 am tomorrow and update again.
    Would install 2 more small bar tomorrow as well.
    Immediate change of behavior in Koi: really active and very very hungry.
    Thanks all sifu's
    More update's are coming up

TK
    Post edited by Bthineshkumar at 2012-07-19 09:06:56 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro TK and the rest,
    Please update on the decrease in temperature...........
    Bro mangkell's TOR-X is sub 25 degrees Celcius.......

Looks like you need a stronger water pump........
    Sorry bro, earlier there was a interruption in the net connection. Already updated
    Bro TK,

28C at night haa... Good result bro. :-D

Guys,

More important is, the koi like it or not?
    When you say they are more active & more hungry... Sure a good sign right?

Pls also monitor the Pooh at 1st chamber, the new play style, their colour quality etc...
    You will notice a better result for every degree drop...

And it's more than a chiller temperature alone, it's an environment change to them...

I hope the community can continue to compile the pros & cons as what I start...

10 Pros & Con of TOR-X™ 8-)

Tq
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-07-19 10:09:48 pm
    Bro Aznan,
    MSG noted. Would continuously monitor and update.

Cheers
    Tk
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Bro Lau,
    Thanks, now my temperature reads 26.5 in the morning and 26.8c about an hour ago when I was next to my pond. There are so many benefits to this system I kid you not, my water is now crystal clear, fish looks like it swims happily, no more sweating when sitting beside my pond. I was going to install a chiller as well, but I might stick with this system for awhile now. I am going to install it onto one more pump which would have 2 outlets.

My setup is
    58 tonne pond
    with 3 mitsubishi pumps running 1 cycle per hour
    before temp at highest was 33c
    now lowest so far 26.5c
    currently only 1 pump output 2 spray bars 2.5mm drill bits.
  • spencertanspencertan July 2012
    Hey Brother Ratha,
    Sounds like this system is working pretty well for you!
    Quite a big change in temperature ....
    All the best to you in achieving the temperature you desire......
    :D
    Bro SRatha,

From 33 to 28 now 26.5C! Wow, great result.

The variation also very small gap, 26.5 to 26.8C? Only 0.3C gap daily?
    Can U post your setup photo please?

The drill bits, are U sure 2.5mm? 1.5mm is the optimum result for me & Bro Lauts. :-D

Wow, a chiller & TOR-X™ installed together side by side? Very interesting indeed....

Bros,

Well... their battle result was declared EVEN.... BOTH WIN! :-bd
    Both can achieve 25°C, The mid of PBT & needed by nutrify bacteria.

Remember, target as close to 25 Bros... The climate of the Jumbos.. KaKaKa :-))

Tq
    Bro and sifu's,
    Update:
    8 am: original: 30.5 c
    After shade: 29 c
    Now, after spray bar: 26.7 c

8 pm: original: 32 c
    After shade: 30 c
    Now, after spray bar: 28 c

Would update again after installing 2 mini spray bar

Cheers,
    Tk
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Bro SRatha,

26.5 from 33C highest L-) , massive 6.5C drop (Y) . Picts pls . For your 2nd pump , suggest go for 1.5 or at least 2mm drill bits. Since your pond is similar in tonnage to mine, eagerly waiting your results of any further temp reduction.

Bro Aznan , 0.4-0.5c temp drop in normal for a covered and big volume pond .

Bro TK , good to hear it works for you too. Bigger capacity pump will give even better results.

ts

Whoa, all seem to drop to below 27 C.

Mine just hit a new low of 27.4 C after 2 days of running 24hrs. Maybe I need to hurry up do 3 of the 30 mm spray bar and install it.
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Bro Idris's top secret i- shower exposed >:-) >:-)

koianswers.com/discussion/download/8263/i-shower.JPG

I like the idea and flexibility , make me want to jump in and take a bath and shower Balinese style :-D . Simple and easy to install. Result wise wait for bro Idris to update. Permission granted to post pict by bro Idris :)

ts
    Post edited by lauts at 2012-07-20 09:44:51 am
    Attachments
    i-shower.JPG 125K
  • idrisidris July 2012

18 ton pond- morning temparature 28 deg c..when install DIY shower now at 26 deg c
    Afternoon temparature 31 deg c...when install DIY shower now maintain at 28 deg c

What i can say, this is oly 1 set, I could install 3 set...the one set also is working only 70 % of its actual capabilities...The best part, u ave fully controll on the spray length and the spray direction..this would eliminate problem of having your surrounding wet..

Cost- rm 30 per unit..
    Time to build one- 20 min

• ShukriShukri July 2012
    During the next visit, I will bring my swimming trunk...... :-))

Engineers are very creative.....another one is Bro Mangkell........
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-20 10:55:32 am
  • idrisidris July 2012
    Actually this will eliminate your hardworking to drill small holes that could took you hours to complete..hehe..as I said, the spray length can be adjusted..
    Post edited by idris at 2012-07-20 09:47:58 am
  • HDCuHDCu July 2012
    Bro Idris,

Nice one! If you replaced your showerhead with an LED showerhead you'll already have a fountain show also at night. :-D
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Bro TK
    "Immediate change of behavior in Koi: really active and very very hungry".

The spray bar not only reduces water temp but also increase Dissolve O2 by its action , similar to Bakki Shower. This is what you are seeing displayed by the kois. You have low DOC thats good , no lingering , non bursting bubble from your spray fountain action. (Y)

ts
  • idrisidris July 2012
    Hehehe...u are right bro....blink blink at night...
    Bro Cookcpu,

Niceeee.... 27.4 haa, another 0.5 drop right?

Yess... 3 Spray Bars is minimum with 2 rows each... For the Volume

One reminder though,

Those famous Tsurumi pump, if the outlet is 2" diameter. Do not reduce the pvc pipe size of 2" aka 50mm bef the "T". After yr "T" junction only use reducer to yr desired pipe size.

This will,

1-Care for pump reliability.
    2-More pressure delivered to each drill hole with same hp.
    3-Fully utilised yr pump potential.

Good luck[-O<
    Thanks Bro Ts,

I also hope after temp down, the beni of the Koi would eventually improved.
    Would post the new results after install 2 more mini spray bar

Thanks and Regards,
    TK
    Bro HDCu,

How is yr i-Bakki Shower result?... After few weeks... Any updates?

TOR-X™V2.0 is waiting for your result... HeHe :-D or... The white towel is always there...

Tq

Bro Shukri,

An Ingénues Engineer with Ingenuine Jumbo!!! .. How about that? KeKeKe :-))

Bro Lauts legacy lah...

Tq
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Bro Aznan,

Credits to you actually, very happy to find someone so passionate abt kois caring for them. (Y) (Y)

ts
  • HDCuHDCu July 2012
    Bro Mangkell,

My FATS( Fan assisted trickle shower) system is not yet finished. So far its concrete structure( with window for air to enter on both sides and the tiling is already complete while the stainless perforated trays had been precut already according to the specification. The two sequence external pump that is capable of producing a combined total of 42,000 liter output per hour without adding any heat to the water had just arrived from the States yesterday. :-D But my six Waterproof exhaust capable of producing a total output of 600 cfm that I ordered from the US has not arrived yet. The auto temperature sensor and regulator is with me already. The glass sintered ring filter media which will help in removing nitrates in the water that will be use has already been preped and culture already with good bacteria for two months now. Meanwhile, the pond now is undergoing waterproofing coating which will help also in insulating the ground heat from the water.

Its raining lately here especially at night when temperature I think drops to 23 degrees. My 4 ton QT tank where all my kois are temporarily house are enjoying a water temperature already between 25 to 26 degrees. There I just put a simple downward shower. I am confident that I can achieve a 24 temp at night and a 25 temp in the morning once the my FATS is up and running already.

I will post pictures and a video of the FATS after its complete and running.

Post edited by HDCu at 2012-07-20 11:52:16 am
    Bro HDCu,

FATS haa... Good name for koi but not good for your HM. :-D

The FATS are not yet cookIng & you already smelled 25-26! ... Scary woo...

Aiyahhh... TOR-X™ sure need a Version 3.0 lah to defend her Title... \m/

Glad to hear your Confidence...

LET THE BATTLE BEGINS... Dum... Dum.. Dum... =D>

Tq
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    Bro Mangkell,
    That is called "self fulfilling prophecy" :)
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-07-20 12:34:19 pm
  • HDCuHDCu July 2012
    "The FATS are not yet cookIng & you already smelled 25-26! ... Scary woo... "

haha... I think I mentioned 24 to 25C. The magic number is 75 F or 23.9 and to keep it there consistently most of the time without the use anymore of a chiller.

In building my new pond, I already made consideration on heat reduction while improving the living condition of the kois and making it aesthetically pleasing. In my study, I figured that heat is generated in our ponds due to the following:
    1. Solar radiation( my pond setup is only partially shaded (25 percent) but most solar radiation will be in the morning.)
    2. ambient temperature which heats up the pond concrete and the ground( luckily my new pond is built under solid bedrock that is always cool)
    3. thermal transfer of heat generated by equipment( use of external water pumps will generate minimal heat transfer while forced cooling of the air pumps would drop the air temperature being pumped out.)
    4. decaying organic matter in the filters ( the action of bacteria in breaking down organic generate lots of heat. everyday flushing should take care of this. No more over feeding also helps)
    5. turnover( the faster the turnover in a shower the less heat build up and faster cooling time. mine will be 2x turnover)
    6. color of the pond. Unfortunately, I still used black color to color the pond which unfortunately is the worst color to reflect heat. I just cant accept the visual appeal of a green or blue pond.
    7. wind speed. ( artificial high velocity wind speed created by temperature regulated exhaust fan to cool the water droplets)
    8. Depth of pond.( a six feet pond should be enough)
    Post edited by HDCu at 2012-07-20 02:37:09 pm
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Good afternoon all,
    I am having huge success with this spray bar. As I stated before, I wanted to do the 2nd pump with 2 spray bars and which I did. I changed all drill holes to 1mm and the temperature in this blazing heat is now 25.7c at 3pm. This system is only a week old and a bit.
    One thing I have come to notice is with finer holes, I was able to achieve less rainfall noise aswell.

Ratha
    Post edited by SRatha at 2012-07-23 04:46:54 pm
  • ShukriShukri July 2012
    =D> =D> =D>
    Bro SRatha,

25.7C at 3pm is a new evening record. Bravooo (%)

1mm last for 1 week already without service? Yr water is less small particle than mine.

Do update the full result later Tq :-D
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Bro Mengkell,
    Thank you for your support, the numbers are going down bit by bit, at around 5pm I was able to achieve 25.5c, early this morning I was able to achieve 25c flat, nothing else was done after completion of the 1mm holes a couple of days ago. It just seems to drop and drop. We shall see when this thing becomes stable.

koianswers.com/discussion/download/8342/photo.JPG
    Post edited by SRatha at 2012-07-23 11:09:00 pm
    Attachments
    photo.JPG 154K
    Bro SRatha,

Congratulation are in order. =D>

If you can maintain that 1mm setup for 1 week without brushing / servicing, the durability is good already. My 1mm need twice cleaning per week, hence go back to 1.5mm :-D

1mm with smaller dirt particles sure got more potetial maa... :-bd

Like your 1 pipe to 1 bar setup, same like TOR-X™, more pressure delivered. (Y)

Tq
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Bro Mangkell,
    Are you saying that yours clog up? I haven't hit one week yet, we shall see as to how big my water particles are. If it does clog up, I will move to a bigger hole, but I do hope not as to the noise will also be raised...

Ratha
  • spencertanspencertan July 2012
    Yo brother Ratha,
    Seems like it is really working effectively for you..
    Congratulations..!
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Well done Bro SRatha ,

1mm bits seems to work better. 2 pipes powered by 12T Tsurumi ? to get 25-25.5c and still going down. (Y) (Y) . Try to spray over a bigger area to disperse the water drop, it may have better result bro. thanks

Bro Aznan
    Cleaning is easy , just spray it with garden hose will do . Mine is not glued so can easily pull out from T to clean weekly. Temp now 25.7-26.2C, bit warmer nowadays. Looks like i will need to get myself some 1mm bits too :-D :-D .

ts
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Bro Spencer,
    Thank you :-)

Bro Lauts,
    My pump is a mitsubishi pump, looks a lot similar to the tsunami pumps tho. I have tried to spray it larger area as much as I can without splashing outside of the pond. I am going to check now the temperature for today at 9am local time here. I suspect it should read the same.

Ratha
  • KoiBeginnerKoiBeginner July 2012
    Bro SRatha,

Really like your set up! :)
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Bros,

Yesterday Sun was a hot day , but my pond recorded 25.6C ( 25.4- 25.7C) at 3pm with air temp at 34-35C. Even pond side recorded 33C :-D :-D . Nothing new , have not done up the new spray bar but note it was very windy. For those not having good result suggest to consider location of spray bar in open and well aerated location. Or if necessary add a fan to improve air circulation.

ts

koianswers.com/discussion/download/8499/P1010003.JPG
    Bravooo.. Good result Bro Lauts. :-bd

25.6C at 3pm is one of the best achievement...

Bro SRatha, TK, Cookcpu, Ashfaq... Any update Bros? :/

Looks like Air Ventilation is the way to go now for further improvement to THOR-X™ :-t

Tq
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-07-30 03:11:02 pm
  • ashfaqashfaq July 2012
    From my side no update brother, as i didnt visited that client yet .
    Will call that client and let you know, if any improvement..
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    At 4pm my pond temperature is at 27.6 C. I have added a 2nd spray bar therefore it keep at this temperature.

Before with one spray bar the temperature went up to 28.5C.
  • lautslauts July 2012
    Bro William,

Your pond temp has a lot more potential to go down lower. To see if temp go down further, try adding a fan , at least temporary , using a house fan maybe, to increase air movement for evaporation. , I recall from pict your spray bar was situated quite secluded corner? Anywhere you can place bar to catch the air breeze?

ts
    Bro Aznan,
    When I initially setup, Morning 8 am 26.7C and evening 8 pm at 28 C. That time is very windy and not so hot.
    After I added two more mini spray bar, the temp at peak is Morning 8 am at 27C and evening 8 pm at 28C. Have not checked during windy time.
    But yes, good ventilation does help to reduce the temp further as the water absorbs cooler air before lands on the pond water. First thought of installing a fan near the pond but HM [-X with the idea, so drop off. ;-)
    Bro TS, the place where I put the spray bar is some sort of air well. Most of the time the wind will flow to this area and then go up all the way.

But the wind that is flowing to my house is hot wind. I think my pond is not cover so during noon time the pond water get heated up faster.

I am thinking where to put the house fan so that the spray water will not be blown to the side of the pond.
  • harry_luhurharry_luhur July 2012
    Hi Bro and Sis,
    Been following this quite a while, and i think this bring good result in many places. I think what bro TS do is require for all of us to test. Here what i had done before, community experiments.

But in order to have more reliable result, we must measure the atmostphere temperature too. Different atmosphere can result in different water temp. 15minutes rain will change air temp, cloudy weather in 1hour may change water temp too.
    Regards,

Harry Luhur
    Bro SRatha,

How is the durability of yr 1mm setup? :/ Can pass 1 week cleaning cycle or not?

Bcoz I think yours should be OK... Simple pond setup...

Mine got thousands of waterplants TDS to deal with... You know 60feet river...

However, now considering to house the pump inside a box with a smaller sieve??? :/

Tq
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Hi Bro Mangkell,

Don't ask why am staying up late so late :-) more about that tomorrow :-)
    To update on my setup, I have reached 24.5c lowest in the morning while in the daytime its about 24.8-9c. Of the 4 spray bars I have, I turn 2 off during the night and keep only 2 running to keep noise down.

1mm setup requires no maintenance so far... I hope it stays that way...
    Bro SRatha,

That's not so late at 4am... That's called too late already... I'm wake up for Sahur laa at 4:30am :-D
    Sure got big project there... HeHe..

BRAVOO... 24.5-24.9C is a new record breaking Profile Bros... =D> Clap... Clap.. Clap

I say U, Wa cakap Lu... 1mm is really kicking...
    More sweat when U can maintain more than 1 week...
    Your TDS must be very small...

For the sake of testing, pls consider not switch off the 2 bars for few nite... Maybe 24C is within reach... Than go back lah... [-O<
    Post edited by mangkell at 2012-07-31 04:42:23 am
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Bro Mangkell
    I think 24 flat is not far off :-)

Ratha

http://koianswers.com/discussion/download/8501/photo.JPG
    Post edited by SRatha at 2012-07-31 04:40:39 am
    Attachments
    photo.JPG 156K
    Errr... Try switch on all 4 bars for few nite... See the max bottom... Than go back lah ;-)
    Bro Ratha,

Which part of Cambodia are U?

What's your water temperature profile before the spray bar? :/

Any different in the koi behavior and the colour quality after enjoying sub 24C?

Any pond visit gathering there?

Tq >:D<
  • SRathaSRatha July 2012
    Hi Bro Mangkell
    I live in Phnom Penh, the only KoiAnswerers that has seen my pond is Brother Melvin. Any pond visit is welcomed, just as long as I am here, gonna be a bit busy this month, and will be away for a whole month of next month :-( the only consolation is that I will be in Hawaii :-)

Actually this thermometer- am not sure about it's accuracy. I bought one from Max Koi and it seems a tab bit lower than 25c.

I find that different thermometers read different numbers...

Ratha
  • mangkellmangkell August 2012
    Bro Ratha,

How is the Koi Community in Phnom Penh & your country? I heard koi dealers got a few there already...

Hawai woo... Remember to bring your koi movie laa...

Don't worry on the thermo accuracy Bro.... Nobody will be disqualified for anything...

Just share with us what result U have, that's a good contribution to community already...

All result are a guidance for others to try something new... That's all

Tq ;-)
  • HDCuHDCu August 2012
    Bro Mangkell,

Lately, since its been raining here always at night. I have recorded water temperature of 23. C for consecutive days even in my QT pond where all my kois are now. There is a noticeable difference in shine which gives the colors of gosanke a better look as compared to temperature of 26 to 28C. The kois appetite has also improved.
    Bro SRatha,

Are U still in Hawaii?.... :/

Pls ask your man to check the durability of those 1mm setup...

It has been a few weeks right? No clogging issue?...

Tq
    Bro HDCu,

The shines & increase of appetite for food is what we already agreed about the benefit of 24°C.

How about the koi metabolism rate?

I believe the koi metabolic rate is higher...

Means, even the koi eats more, they can also absorb more, resulting in higher growth rate.
    Also more absorbs, means less waste, less bio loads, more water parameters quality... Etc...

Can overstock more also... HeHe.. :-D

What say U?
  • HDCuHDCu August 2012
    Bro Mangkell,

Its been raining here for like three continuous days and QT pond water temperature is now at 22 degrees. The beni and shine has improved even more as compared to temp at 25. I am feeding around 80 percent of my normal feed now because of the colder water and in preparation of the kois being transfer to their new home soon.

Despite their small space for now at their QT tank all are still growing quite well. In five months, my latest acquisition of a 28cm ISA showa is now at 47cm while others have now grown from 47 to 58cm with colors intensifying. Water parameters are always good. I just checked now and nitrate is even less than 5ppm now because of the amount of filter medium being cultured in the QT pond.

BTW, as you know increasing the dissolved oxygen to max saturation levels also increase the metabolism and growth rate of koi. I am sure your TOR-X has increase the DO aside from lowering temp but has it reached saturation level as compared to using oxygen concentrator? Hmm... something to think about also aside from temperature.

• boykoiboykoi September 2013
    Hello everyone,

I followed this thread before and my hands got itchy then. But its only now that i have joined the SPRAY BAR club by buying a new sub pump of 10Tons/hour power. My 20 ton pond,8 ton filter will be at a test week run.Its been 5 days and i must say, 3 degree celsius reduction after 6 days is really tops. My 4 feet 32mm spray bar has 100 holes of 1.5mm after i have studied results by guys here.Here's my report:

DAY 1:28-29 d c reduced to fixed 28 d
    DAY 2:27-27.6 d c , i have observed that wind direction and max of low temp occurs between 6pm-10pm. it slowly rises between 7am-4pm to a 1 d c differential
    DAY 3:26.5-27.4 d c .never had a sub 26 before and i am pleasnatly surprised. Water is clearer but kois are lethargic,maybe adjusting to temperature so i am making sure a 1 d c a day dorp differential is observed.
    DAY 4:26-27 D C - A new low of flat 26 d c at 6pm is amazing!water is absolutely cold to the touch and kois are a bit used to the cold already.theyre back to their old hungry feeding regime of 600 grams
    DAY 5:26-26.7 D C - didnt drop any further, kinda dissappointed. i bore 30 more holes on the bar to hopefuly increase drop to sub 25 maybe.i did this also to limit water spray to only 5 feet away as so much splashing on one end due to 7-8 feet water throwback.i am more pleased with the 4-5 feet water throw.

today still at sub 26 d c,but im fine with it. i have also read about a thread regarding GO dying due to sudden spray bar temp drops,some even at 3 d c in 24 hours. That is to me too much of a drop,which at 1 d c a day or more wouldve been appropriate. Now, i am PP my pond to kill off all livened bacteria from the new cold temperature to make sure bacteria is killed off before even making any move.bacteria is more enlivened on colder water,so i bombed including filter chambers 1.5 grams per ton PP.i took off all filter media of K1 and matala mats and im half way on this 4 hour regime today. Here are my observations thus far:

1. kois tend to react on sudden drops of more than 3 d c even on a 3-4 day span.i cant imagine such drop on a 24 hour span.mustve shocked their wits.
    2. feeding should be minimal.it took them longer to finish feed.perhaps the noise of the new spray bar had an effect on it
    3. Color of kois are more vivid.im very pleased to see more apparent gloss on kois skin at sub 26 d c.im very excited to get into the sub 25 and 24 soon.
    4. less poo on filters.my heavy feed requires me a 2 x a week spray on my 2 net sieves.im pleased to see that i can do it only once a week now.
    5. Water clarity is awesome.water is more lively,i can even see every algae at pond bottom.just amazing
    6. more do on water.some of my kois have slight gill curl,my main airpump conked out 3 omths ago and i just had a replacement this week.ive observed ease in breathing on my kois,they use to breathe hard on pond bottom.i hope the gill curl will be remedied with the new airpump and spray bar

i am hoping that my kois will adjust to the new sub 26 climate.i may be seeing a sub 25 tomorrow or next day which would be great.thanks to all who shared about the spray bar
  • frostbitezfrostbitez September 2013
    sorry to bump this up
    just wanna share
    lately after being sick of splash view of spraybar @water surface, so i tried something different.
    the idea came after long time delay PV @ my friend pond
    he is using a cooling tower with 3/4 HP fan cooling 100T pond to 25-26C (normally around 29-30c @jakarta)
    so i decide to make my own small cooling tower after looking around @web i found

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F93/DNO9/FHPVYFC8/F93DNO9FHPVYFC8.LARGE.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-swimming-pool-cooler/&h=1002&w=666&sz=147&tbnid=3Oindr8Z9-sybM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=60&zoom=1&usg=__fV6s1inEdw1SyLi19OGP8OoNik0=&docid=yxbRFeYSFajouM&sa=X&ei=AQg0UqeeJoHVrQf6lICIDg&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ&dur=80

so tried it @my pond just using 16 watt fan and it works it can cool water temp to 27c (total 16-17T water)
    next i'll share some pic if someone interested

nice.

i was toying on this idea using an old 12 volt 16" engine fan from my old car.i planned to place it at the cover of my vortex filter to cool entering water.that is if my spray bar fails to go to the sub 24 d c.
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar September 2013
    Wow. Interesting. :-?
  • mangkellmangkell September 2013
    <blockquote rel="boykoi">nice.

i was toying on this idea using an old 12 volt 16" engine fan from my old car.i planned to place it at the cover of my vortex filter to cool entering water.that is if my spray bar fails to go to the sub 24 d c.</blockquote>

Bravoo... :-bd

How is the result Bro @boykoi?
  • mangkellmangkell September 2013
    <blockquote rel="frostbitez">sorry to bump this up
    just wanna share
    lately after being sick of splash view of spraybar @water surface, so i tried something different.
    he is using a cooling tower with 3/4 HP fan cooling 100T pond to 25-26C (normally around 29-30c @jakarta)
    so i decide to make my own small cooling tower after looking around @web i found

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F93/DNO9/FHPVYFC8/F93DNO9FHPVYFC8.LARGE.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-swimming-pool-cooler/&h=1002&w=666&sz=147&tbnid=3Oindr8Z9-sybM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=60&zoom=1&usg=__fV6s1inEdw1SyLi19OGP8OoNik0=&docid=yxbRFeYSFajouM&sa=X&ei=AQg0UqeeJoHVrQf6lICIDg&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ&dur=80

so tried it @my pond just using 16 watt fan and it works it can cool water temp to 27c (total 16-17T water)

</blockquote>

Looking good... (Y)

Pls share the fotos Bro @frostbites...
  • grinkz01grinkz01 September 2013
    bro han....looking good....cooling tower or spray bar basically works at the same method.....injecting air onto a small particles water......

are u using also sprinkle model? or a fix pipe + hole inside the drum? i am using a 15cm dc fan on the water surface in my aquarium (volume 250ltr water). i can get 28 deg C water temp while ambient temp is 31-32 deg C. still seeking time to applying the same for my indoor pond.

i am wondering if any hobbyst using finned aluminium/copper like radiator system. will it works better?
    hello everyone,

Still stuck at 26 d c flat.i can only afford 1 spray bar on my set-up as my pond is cornered by walls on 3 sides.i will try boring more holes to reduce throwback to 4-5ft and see whether this will suffice.my target is a 25-26 temperature.i already have a bakki shower,so the next option would be to place my engine fan on the cover of the vortex filter. This will target a Goshiki nissai acquisition this november which i hope will retain its kuro sumi.
  • frostbitezfrostbitez October 2013
    i think the main idea is to make lot of contact beetween water and air that provided by fan, so if <blockquote rel="grinkz01">bro han....looking good....cooling tower or spray bar basically works at the same method.....injecting air onto a small particles water......

are u using also sprinkle model? or a fix pipe + hole inside the drum? i am using a 15cm dc fan on the water surface in my aquarium (volume 250ltr water). i can get 28 deg C water temp while ambient temp is 31-32 deg C. still seeking time to applying the same for my indoor pond.

i am wondering if any hobbyst using finned aluminium/copper like radiator system. will it works better? </blockquote>

just using fixed hole drilled by 2mm bore, been thinking to use sprinkler but not so sure if will not clog or can get enough water since i use almost 2-3t/h water throug the pipe

eniwe its been 4 months since i first installed the diy cooling tower been working good so far
    by now theres already 3 friends with super large pond in jakarta and cibitung using the same methods

100T pond in jakarta using 6 fans(16w) DIY CT (wandrie < sure u know who :)) can get temp lower from 30c to 26c
    160T pond in cibitung (also in indonesia u know who 2 lah hahaha) using real CT 1,25HP fan get temp lower from 30c to 25c
    100T pond in jakarta also now renovate the pond and going to install CT

<blockquote rel="mangkell"><blockquote rel="frostbitez">sorry to bump this up
    just wanna share

</blockquote>

Looking good... (Y)

Pls share the fotos Bro @frostbites...</blockquote>

keep forgoting to take pic of my diy CT, since i travel often bro
    sorry next time i come home will take a good pic of it

han
    Post edited by frostbitez at 2013-10-27 06:49:30 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership