water leaking
  • dexterhongdexterhong October 2010
    Hi I am new here, my pond is leaking, can anyone help me? My house in Bandar Bukit Raja, Klang

Thank you

Dex
  • AndySittAndySitt October 2010
    When did you build the pond? Still under warranty from pond builder. Have you contacted them or trace the problem? If underground leak... phew ....
    no more warranty lah bro, i left i stagnant for more than one year, just commissioned it last week...... hoping someone here can help me....
  • AaronGohAaronGoh October 2010
    contact Bro. Zain, he is from bukit raja too..or call me when ever you are free.
    Aaron
    +60123182002
  • PatrickChongPatrickChong October 2010
    my filter also leaking water,
    this week doing some construction work to my filter...
  • AaronGohAaronGoh October 2010
    Bro Dexter, Patrick is from Klang too
    Aaron
    +60123182002
    wah all klang pond also leaking!! is it a natural filter? Patrick u built your own pond?? must put min 5 layers of water proofing..
    5 layers enough?
    that's what my pond guy say.. mine I did 6.. still ok... aisay why u curi those sand from karak highway to build..
    haha....
    no need so far lah...
    i go port klang get the sea sand...
    hehe
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    My pond also has 6 layers of water proofing..........still good till now......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • koifankoifan October 2010
    Mine has only 3 layers and it is still good. Normally, water leaking is not due to the erosion of the water proofing if your pond is less than 5 years. It should be poor workmanship and more than sand than cement being used.

My advice is get another contractor to look at it. You'll be surprised on what you will find out.
    Dexter, you should (finger) your previous contractor.....

I am just joking......am trying out the Emoticons......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2010-10-19 07:12:08 am
    wah shukri.. so fast you know how to use the new emoticon... (ok)
    Hahahahaha..........trial and error la...... :-)
    Post edited by koianswers at 2010-10-19 07:19:52 am
    Bro M Zain, when are you going to assist your new Klang kaki i.e. Dexter with the leaking problem with his pond?
    Dont make him (sweat) .. Aaron is now at Dexter's pond...
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN October 2010
    Have seen Dexter's pond together with Dr. & Aaron....suspected leakage from Pipes that are running Under Ground in the Pump Chamber.

Due to 'Cramped' Space in the Pump Chamber, Plastering Job wasn't well Done.

Cementing of the Chamber 'Bed' Where Pipes are Running Vertically Down wards might not have been properly Done.
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
    Jolly good........... (ok)
  • StevieStevie October 2010
    Wah bro Zain, what a good diagnosis! You are as good as an (pond) architect. Next time anybody want to build a pond got to hire bro Zain to approve every stage of construction and issue architect cert of fitness
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN October 2010
    Bro Stevie,

Architect Cert should be issue by Bro Thiam Wah leh.....Electrical Cert I can Issue.. ^^ ^^
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
    but bro Thiam Hwa is still under official forum leave...
  • ThiamHwaThiamHwa October 2010
    Hi All,

Sorry, I have been rather pre-occupied with some other personal matter lately.
    Hope to be more active with this 'Living Jewel' discussions in future.

BTW, if the water leakage is due to poor workmanship at the joint between the pvc
    pipes and the base concrete floor, one may consider applying a few layers of Sika sealant adhesives over the joints area. You may check out the Sika Kimia website
    for further informations and contacts regarding their range of sealant products.
    Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Thiam Hwa
    Wow! Architect is at work.

By the way Thiam Hwa, what do you suggest when we are not sure where the leak is? Is there an easy way to seal the whole pond?
  • ThiamHwaThiamHwa October 2010
    I think fibreglassing the pond will be a good option to consider.

However, if possible, locating the leakage spot and treating it with the revelant
    bond adhesives will be a cheaper option.
  • AnuarAnuar October 2010
    <blockquote rel="Stevie">Wow! Architect is at work.

By the way Thiam Hwa, what do you suggest when we are not sure where the leak is? Is there an easy way to seal the whole pond?</blockquote>

Bro Stevie,

Just wish to share something from the old forum on identifying the leaking area.

1. Drain the whole pond - the last area to dry up is likely to be where the leakage is. This will only help if the leakage is on the pond floor.
    2. If the leakage is on the wall, you will need to chart the water level daily and see where it stops. This is the level where the leakage is.
    3. If both the above are okay, the leaking is highly on the waterfall/water cascade.

I recently scrubbed my water cascade hard and had peeled off some silicone + wall algae on the joints. My water level now drops by about 2 inches daily. Not sure whether the water has seeped out from the joints, or it could also be due to the current hot spell. NOt an issue to me as I would just top up.

The best would be to fibreglass the pond as suggested by Thiam Hwa.
    Thanks bro Anuar for sharing. Your idea is great. I will first lower the water level bit by bit.

My water level drops by about 1/2 to 1 cm. Not sure if this is due to hot spell. Before I noticed the drop, my water level dropped only 1 cm over a week.

2 inches drop definitely is a problem, I think. that is 5 cm.

You use silicone? I am thiking of covering the whole pond with a layer of silicon should I empty the pond. Nowadays, unlike old days silicon sticks only to glass, the new silicone sticks to most surfaces except some plastic. It even sticks to rubber! And it is hard to remove unless like you scrubbing it hard and peal it with sharp metal tools. There are odorless type too.

The reason I think I want to use silicon because it is easy to apply by just covering it over the pond surface does not matter if it is thick or thin or uneven thickness. It also cover loose cement sands easily with few strokes and it will adhere. Over 24 hours it dries completely.

Fibreglass, yes the best but creating holes, big holes, not on the pond but on both pockets la.
    Post edited by Stevie at 2010-10-21 12:31:18 am
    Hi Stevie, where can we get this type of silicone? My filter pond is definitely leaking but i have established the water level where it stops.... My main pond is dropping like 1 cm per day which is not so worrying..... waterfall pond is definitely needing an overall waterproofing
    Hardware shops. Just ask for odorless type. Normal standard tube size (operate with gun) is RM7.50. Some sell at RM8.50. Conventional/normal type with strong odor you can get it at RM6 to RM7 a tube. The smell will kill you sick. And the odorless type is heavier than the normal type. Also, the odorless type does not "sink" too much. Look like the odorless type is more compact or have more volume.

You should have no problem finding it in hardware shop in klang valley, most of them have the non odor type. otherwise I can post a pic of the product tomorrow.

Am not sure if they have big tube if you are going to use on large surface.
    Oh by the way, if you are not familair with silicone there are many types. Some for roofing, some for window, kitchen, bathroom and paintable. You should not use the paintable one which is heavy mxed with arcylic and some other compound. Read the label if it is for glass, ceramic, wood, metal, concrete, rubber and some plastic then this is the one. Usually rubber is not stated but I tried and tested it, it works like magic. You cannot remove it from rubber even if you stretch it. I use it on tire tube better than the "dunlop" rubber glue. Hey the tube not for lorry ok, for going to beach play water la.

also it is colourless or clear or translucent.
    thanks Stevie, trying to silicone the whole pond must be a nightmare..... how do you apply it?
    No, I haven't. Just considering. I am not sure if my pond is leaking.

Hire somebody. Maybe you can hire Zain's workers for a day or two.

Actually it is the easiest of all. Silicon is like glue just spread them over.

Pump out the silicone, use a spade, a plastic flat blade or a cement trowel spread over the surfaces going over once , going over twice to make sure all loose particles come out and it stick to the hard wall surfaces. Then move to next suface. Once the surface is run over with silicone it is covered because it is glue and glue to surface and to each other forming a soft flexible surface sheet unlike if you are plastering a concrete wall with cement or anyother waterproof material where thickness is important.

Before you do that you got to wash and scrub the surfaces with plastic brush and water. The plastic brush like those use for cleaning clothes. Hard to reach areas use tooth brush. Even better you can completely seal the whole hard to reach area with silicon. Let dry the pond over hot sun for a day before application.

Get the worker(s) to come one day cleaning the pond, dry another day and on the third day get them to come again for silicone application. If you think the job is not thorough enough or to make sure the job is thorough, apply another layer the next day. Kau tim.
    Post edited by Stevie at 2010-10-21 04:28:59 am
    Dexter,

Go buy one tube. Try it on anything. On your wall tiles, floor, wood, some upper surface part of your pond, etc you will learn to use it. Then only then you know and can DIY or can teach the worker what to do. Ready with rolls of tissue paper. The tissue paper is to clean the silicone for mistakes.
    No need workers la. Just get the maid to do it and buy her a gift for the extra work. No maid? There are part time maids on hire.
    a question here,

water proof layer, how you guys do it?
    everyday 1 layer or 1 day paint it 6 layers?
    thanks
    Bro, for my pond, my contractor uses 3 different water proofing. First he mix the first one with the cement for plastering. After the first layer has dried up, he applied a second layer. Then when the second layer is dried up, he paints a different kind (white in color), after the layer dried up, he paint the second white layer. The following day, he uses a black colored water proofing. One layer after the other, hence 6 layers of water proofing in total.......... (rock)
    thanks
    Shukri,

Look like a kind of nyonya's 9 layers colour kuai (cake).

But actually that's 3 layers 2 coats lah ! Plus the concrete total 4 layers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership