Parasites on fins
  • etanoetano October 2010
    Hi All, I need help with this parasite that only infects the fins. It is not infectious as it has been there for many months. The fish is healthy but it is unsightly. I have tried cutting and scratching, burning it with PP, treating with S1, Melafix to no avail. It will come back in a matter of few days. It feels like a hard pox even not easy to cut away. Anyone has any experience with such problem?

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/221/IMG_0666.JPG

http://www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/222/IMG_0667.JPG
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
    Post edited by etano at 2010-10-18 11:05:34 pm
  • koikitkoikit October 2010
    Bro last time I got a kohaku wit this problem, wat I do is apply pp then the problem gone..

U keep in quarantine tank? Salt to 0.3% during quarantine wit clean the area wit pp might work..
    Might b pox, which will return when koi in stress mode. Just my opinion.
  • AaronGohAaronGoh October 2010
    Bro, make it easy, bring it to my house and pick another one from my pond.This koi need a new home....ha..ha
    Aaron
    +60123182002
  • BenjaminGohBenjaminGoh October 2010
    i agree! :P
  • etanoetano October 2010
    Wah...Father & son team. You can recognize a fish by its tail! What can escape your eyes ah? Haha...

Bro Kit, thanks for the input. Will try that again.
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • M_ZAINM_ZAIN October 2010
    Ya loh Bro Elmen,...Father & Son Komplot together....

Don't listen to them....just send it to my Pond....^_^

Or, you Scrape off the 'pox' Rub PP on it & most importantly Inject it with Lincomycin for min 3 Consecutive days should do the trick.

Sometimes it might reappear again, if so, repeat the above process again until the Problem is totally solve.

I've experience this before....^_^
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
  • DanleeDanlee October 2010
    Bro Elmen,

I have similar problem before. Like you, I had tried many things (cutting, scratching, pp, antibiotic cream etc) and it did not seem to help at all. At one stage, I actually put the koi in QT and raised the temperature to about 30-31 degree and the wound healed totally. However, the infection came back a couple of weeks after I released her back to my main pond. Eventually, I gave up and let her be. Surprisely, the wound went away by itself after a while. So, I am still not sure what is the cure up to now......

Bro Zain,

Wow.. very pro now leh..... Must call you loctor Zain from now.. Anyway, thanks for the tips.. I know what to do if the infection ever come back again (hopefully not.. touch wood). Once question though, must it be Linconmycin or I can still do with other antibiotic like Ciprobay?
    Bro Elmen,

I've tried many many types of Antibiotic except Ciprobay....as for Ulcers & the 'Pox' of Problem Lincomycin by far is the most effective...
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
  • yysim88yysim88 October 2010
    Hi Bro Daniel,

I believe Ciprobay works pretty well in such situation.

Bro Zain,

Where do you get the Lincomycin, need Doc's prescription? Is it the same as the one used for human being?
    hehehe....Bro Sim, I'm the Drug Pusher leh...
    Regards,

M. Zain
    +6019 333 3675
  • WinlimWinlim October 2010
    Bro Elmen,

I can't be sure. But I had this problem before. I did exactly what you did and got the exact same result. Finally, someone told me, actually the bone at that area is broken into two. Therefore, the two separate bones cannot join back. Reason I am saying this is from the second photo I can see that there are 2 white spots. This is exactly the same as mine.

So, the only solution is to cut the tail from the bottom of the 'V' of the tail fan into the broken area. This worked for me. But it took about 6 month for the tail to grow back.
  • koifankoifan October 2010
    Bro Elmen,

Had a similar experience. I believe I cut the tail like winlim mentioned. It grew back clean!

• DanleeDanlee October 2010
    Bro Elmen,

If you are planning to cut the tail fin that deep in, please make sure you totally knock out the koi. I killed one of my koi when I tried to do the same thing without totally knock out the koi. I think the koi must have died of shock due to the sudden severe pain. Good luck and hope your Shushui recover fast.. she is one of my favourites in your pond.
  • WinlimWinlim October 2010
    OMG. Bro Elmen, pls ask for a second or third opinion on what I said. Me also Dr. Quack only. So, pls dont take my word for it. Everyone seems to like this koi of yours.
  • ShukriShukri October 2010
    Elmen, let's PP that spot daily for 5 days and let's see what happens.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership