• KevinKevin December 2011
    Brothers I have been having excessive flashing for weeks but only noticed some red coloration in two of my Kois fins later on. I raised my salinity to 0.3 then 0.6 and dosed pond with misaki ss2. Left for 3 days. Fish stopped flashing and redness disappeared. I then did a 50% water change to reduce salinity and eventually return my pond to normal conditions. After a day the fish are flashing again. No redness just flashing. What should I do? Please help. Tq!
  • ChengAunChengAun December 2011
    Check ammonia and ph levels are ok
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Yes bro all levels are good. I recheck everything. PH at 7.6. Ammonia at yellow (lowest). Nitrite also lowest. Nitrate 25mg/l.

• heng84heng84 December 2011
    hi kevin i encountered same problem like u.. maybe due to the heavy rains.. i did what you did too 0.5 + misaki anti bacteria .. my fish recovered ... no more flashing.. but got 2 fish gulping now but not as bad as it was before the treatment
  • KaajKaaj December 2011
    Good day brother Kevin.
    I have an open pond system, and no oyster buffer in my filter chambers. Over the past 2+ years, it is common that there is some flashing during the rainy season. In my humble opinion, it is OK, and the koi get used to it.

I have also experienced flashing on other occasions - namely after introducing new koi to the pond. There can be 2 factors we perceive to be the continual cause of flashing. 1. Bacteria infestation and 2. Parasites. To eradicate this, I have used Melachite Green and Methalane Blue. It has worked so far.

Personally, I have never dropped more than 30 odd % of water at one go. My concern is whether the bacteria in the filter chamber will be affected.

Cheers
    Post edited by Kaaj at 2011-12-16 08:35:55 pm
    Thanks brother kaaj. In what form do you apply your green and blue?
  • KaajKaaj December 2011
    Hi bro Kevin,
    They come in crystal form. You will need to mix MG thoroughly with a small amount of water. The dosage shoud be 0.2-0.5gms per ton of water. Do not dose during the day. When you dose, switch off your UV lights in the filter chamber. I would advice dosage for 2 consecutive nights. I do not put the mixture into the filter, but all around the perimeter of the pond.

Best regards
    Post edited by Kaaj at 2011-12-17 09:59:52 pm
    Thanks brothers for your feedback. Fish seem ok now. Will monitor and let you know if it happens again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership