MY pond and fishes
  • weihanweihan December 2011
    construting my new pond, hope to be done at the end of the month...
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5272/IMG_0557 (500x373).jpg
    www.koianswers.com/discussion/download/5273/IMG_0578 (478x640) (373x500).jpg
    Post edited by weihan at 2013-07-29 07:54:09 pm
  • kominatokominato December 2011
    Hi bro , good news ! What are the dimensions for the pond n how big is the filter box.
  • weihanweihan December 2011
    Dimension about 45feet long x 7feet width. Which 10 feet is the filter, will add in a bakki shower since the filter is not big enough, due to space constrain.
  • NeliNeli December 2011
    Waiting impatiently to see it finished...I am starting soon on mine too...U must be exited...
  • weihanweihan February 2012
    Hi, some problems occurs that when i start my pumps, the water in the last chamber tent to dry up, the speed of water flow through all the chambers are too slow for my pumps.. anyone can help to solve this problems?
  • kominatokominato February 2012
    Basically it shows that the pumps are too powerful for the " small" amount of water available in the last chamber.
    Solution is to see how you can drastically increase water flow to the earlier chambers, by opening "more drain flow" bigger opening or lowering the separtion wall between chambers.
    Last solution is to lower your pump flow rate, but do ensure that you can turn over your pond water once an hour.
    Do get views from others here as well.
    Hi Komito, do you think second and third chamber full with Jap Matt is one of the problems?
  • adleeadlee February 2012
    hi weihan.. im a newbie here.. i just sign up just now and this is my first post :).. lol..
    eager to see the picture of your pond and the whole system including the filter area..
    i had the same problem like u last time when i did my third pond ( not for showQ koi like yours - just a simple garden pond) with the normal up and down filter system with 4 chambers(pump in the forth one). The dimention of the inlet/outlet of the pipe in those chambers is not big enuff compare to the submersible pump which has a high turnover rate. so what i did i change the pump to a lesser power one and the problem were solve. but make sure the turnover rate is adequate to your whole pond :)
    if u can add more inlet/outlet pvc for each chamber then u dont have to change the pump ( im guessing u are using those pvc as inlet/outlet) if u had just the concrete partition for each chamber then maybe u can just lower down the level of the partition?
    well.. thats just my opinion i think here a lot of sifu's can give their opinion as well.
    Hi again and please welcome me as a new member here :)
    Hi adlee, welcome to this forum :) i shall try to lower the partition and see what is thee outcome, currently cant provide any photo because im not at the site... Thanks
  • ikankoikauikankoikau February 2012
    Bro, for a start, just top up the water into the PUMP CHAMBER until overflow. The switch on the pump with the water topping up still running in your pump chamber until overflow. If it doesn't dry out then the inlet/outlet/pump partition is still ok. Otherwise you need to lower the partition down(of pump chamber)if you don't want to change or try an error on the pump output.
    Hi Bro IKK, I have reduce some Jap Mat, currently the flow is still acceptable, I decide to place the pump for bakki shower in the first chamber instead of last. Do you think it is okay?
  • ikankoikauikankoikau February 2012
    Bakki Shower is used to gas away Ammonia. Beside that, it provides cooling and extra aeration. So it's very fine if you take the water from the first chamber and return it into the pond or into 2nd chamber. The only disadvantage is that the Bakki shower will get dirty easily. Not sure how is your 1st chamber but try to place the pump at the cleanest water of that chamber. Another option, getting the water after the settlement chamber or 2nd chamber.

Good luck bro.

IKK
  • weihanweihan March 2012
    Thanks for the info bro IKK
  • SRathaSRatha March 2012
    I would enlarge the openings to allow more flow, since your pumps are too strong for your application.
    May I know how many inches bottom drains you have?
    Hi Ratha, bottom is not an issue as water level at first chamber is the same as my pond. Previously my second and third chamber is pack with filter mat, not removed some and reduce pump power, manage to settle the problem. Will see how it go for a few more days, atleast need to make sure the reduction of Japanese Matt can maintain good water quality.
    Post edited by weihan at 2012-03-07 04:05:17 am
  • ShukriShukri March 2012
    Bro, why so much foam?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • pslongpslong March 2012
    Bro your pond looks exactly like mine, might be the same Klang contractor? Anyways the overhanging ledge might cause injuries to your koi when they get a little jumpy ;-)
    Bro Shukri, foam come from bakki shower, after I add in salt, with the help of slimmer is much better now.
    Pslong, I'm from JB, I don't think is the same contractor eh haha. Min post your pond photo here?
  • NeliNeli March 2012
    I put a T and a scrapper on the exit of my bakki, it collects all the foam and removes it like a foam fractioner...maybe U can have a chance to do the same. I can get pictures for U if U want.
  • NeliNeli March 2012
    I would not advise (IMHO) for U to take water from the first chamber for the bakki. I would rather get water from a skimmer, with some sort of a basic prefilter.
    Getting dirty water in the bakki is not advisable.
    U have restriction/friction...in your filter...that is reducing your flow.
    If the discharge area of the openings between the chambers is the same between all chambers, look in which chamber U have the highest draw down, and it will give U indication that the previous chamber is the culprit.
    if the openings between the chambers are different that can be a problem too.
    Best is to figure out what is causing so much friction, before U decide to fix the problem..
    That is why it is important to calculate your friction before building.
    Sratha asked U if your BD is 4", if it is smaller that can be a problem too. U said that U dont have much draw down in the first chamber...so it must be after that.
    I dont use Jap mats...Can someone elaborate if they cause lots of restriction?
    Do not compromise your filtration, what ever U do.
    Post pictures and explain better how your setup is so that the sifus can advise U better...
    There might be a simple solution, U never know.
    Ones I had the same problem...and I just had to clean the filter media...
  • KoiBeginnerKoiBeginner March 2012
    Really nice pond! :)
    Hi Neli, thanks for the suggestion, i would give it a try..:)
    Koibeginner, thanks eh
    Post edited by weihan at 2012-03-13 03:18:22 am
  • KaajKaaj March 2012
    Bro weihan,
    How did you re-direct the drainage system to accomodate your pond?
    Bro Kaaj, what do you mean by re-direct the drainage system?
  • KaajKaaj March 2012
    Bro,
    Based on your first picture on page 1, there was a drain there...Did you discard it entirely? If not, how did you re-direct the drain ?
    Bro, I re-direct the drain to the side of the pond, with two 45 degree elbow. and the connection are place with a cover, for future service and maintenance..
  • weihanweihan April 2012
    Video of my pond before morning feed, dont know how to edit the video before uploading, sorry for not having clear video...
  • idrisidris April 2012
    Nice bro nice...at last....congrat bro...
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Looks like a lot of kois in there. How many tons and how many kois?
    Hi Idris, my fish ard settle down for one month, now waiting nitrate and nitrate to go down before fully feed them gao gao haha... Hope to see your new pond too!
    Hi bro James, total 45 tons and nearly 70 kois lol.. Soon will need to give away or sell them off to make more space. Any takers from JB?
  • JamesJames April 2012
    Well, choose your best from the 70 and groom those. It will be your first culling experience. But determine why before you cull so that all the money doesn't just go to waste. It will be fun to decide which and why to cull. This indirectly improves your buying for the next round too since you would be looking to avoid the flaws in which caused the koi to be culled.
    Yes definitely bro, me and my dad just got into this hobby one year ago and we got least 80 kois, which ard gave somen away. Brought them before we know how to choose a good fish and before knowing how to control water quality, seriously, should take this hobby slowly. Hahaha, heart pain when u see how much you have invested with such quality fish!
  • DK76DK76 April 2012
    Hi Weihan,nice pond there and I believed this is one of the longest straight length pond I have seem so far in this forum...btw is your depth ard 5 feet as your said vol of 45ton?Anyway enjoy to e start of koi keeping!
  • idrisidris April 2012
    If u don't mind coming to seremban when I host a pond visit, I gladly hoping u come...
    Hi DK76, thanks. Ya the depth is 5 feet 2" lol.
    Hey Idris, I don't think I am able to go seremban, I need to attend school as I am still a student haha. Well I shall enjoy from photos in forum and wish you all the best!
  • ShukriShukri April 2012
    Bro Weihan,
    A typical overstocked scenario of our koi pond, mine is no exception. While waiting for the pond and water to stabilize, ensure sufficient salt is in the water i.e. to buffer the Ammonia and Nitrite spike. The Nitrosomonas bacteria colony in your biofilter chamber will be up rather fast, but the Nitrobacter colony will take time. Frequently check these parameters, and do not let the nitrite zapped your kois' gills.

Cheers.........BTW, are you out of the NPS yet?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi bro Shukri, yes I will maintain the salinity at 0.3 before everything go well, NPS? can i say if everything remain like this is out of NPS? Control feeding is one of the way to prevent NPS?
  • weihanweihan September 2012
    Update on pond after running for 6 months...
  • weihanweihan September 2012
    A link to the video above..
    Post edited by weihan at 2012-09-08 09:50:33 pm
  • weihanweihan July 2013
    Hi all, i would like to share my new purchases recently, any comments are welcome:

Sakai Tancho 35 CM
  • weihanweihan July 2013
    Marudo Tancho 37 Cm and Sakai Sanke 40CM

Marudo Doitsu Karashi 30 CM
  • puathiantatpuathiantat July 2013
    Like the Marudo Tancho (Y)
    from nippon ?
  • weihanweihan July 2013
    Bro KL Bro Phua.. :-D
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2013
    Yea, Marudo is gud (Y)
  • weihanweihan July 2013
    Yes Bro TK, when you wanna come JB? hahaha ;-)
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar July 2013
    Maybe end Aug bro. Let's see the schedule, if time permits, let's meet up :)
  • weihanweihan July 2013
    Of course Bro @Bthineshkumar, Bro @puathiantat do come along :)
    no prob 8-) let's contact again when the time come :-c
  • smokersmoker July 2013
    Like Marudo Tancho. Sakai sanke also looks nice :)
  • weihanweihan August 2013
    Thx Bro smoker, will update a video of my pond soon :-D
  • weihanweihan August 2013
    Hi this is the update of my koi pond, sorry for blur video....
    Post edited by weihan at 2013-08-13 10:36:01 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership